Top Shelf Aquatics

Lumia 5.2 with or without Lenses

Torqued

Hey folks,

I am wondering about the need for lenses for the lumia 5.2. I do plan on running SPS in my 6 foot tank, and have bought 6 Lumias for what I think should be adequate coverage. The question is, do I use lenses or not? If i did go with them, i would use the wide angle version, not the narrow, because my tank is only 24" deep. The question is, am I wasting my money, or worse yet, actually worse off with lenses? My thought is that without lenses I may be wasting alot of light that is illuminating the inside of the canopy, rather than directed down into the tank if I forgo them.....

Thoughts are appreciated!

All LED's have what's known as a primary optic (lens covering and protecting the diode it's self), these optics tend to be around the 120 degree mark. So putting a 'wide' lens (normally around 120 degrees) on is completely pointless.

If the LED's are in the canopy and your tank is only 24 inches deep you should be fine with no optics/lenses. Adding them might cause spotlighting issues (where you get columns of light and not an even spread).

Archived