ReefCleaners.org

Fluval clear max safe for nano reef tank?

ReeferBrian

ReeferBrian

I I have a 10 gallon nano reef tank that's been running for about 8 months.it was recently suggested by some that putting fluvalclear max into my filtration would be a good idea.so as usual I did things backwards,lol instead of researching it and then buying it ,I bought it on sale then did my research.I have read online that while the package says safe for fresh and saltwater,it doesn't say reef safe.I saw many saying it could harm inverts,but these posts where very outdated.does anyone know if this is good to add to my filtration?I'm having some brown algae issues but my parameters are nitrate is zero,ammonia is zero,phosphate close to zero,it was suggested to me that adding this could help rid the tank of this brown algae,it's a 10 gallon nano reef with some button polyps,zenia and a torch coral,I religiously every week do a 20% water change.I'm thinking maybe I have excess nutrients but the algae is using them up before I test the water thus the low readings?would fluvalclear max be good?or should I use something else? Current filtration is a marineland biowheel rated for 30 gallons,and I use the carbon filter pads,and I also am running a coralife protein skimmer

I'm not sure about the product itself. I haven't seen anything regarding fluval products.

Most would recommend chemipure elite, phosban, phosguard etc.

Depending on the type of algae and age of the tank depends on the method.

Can you post a pic of the algae?

The nitrates may be zero but that could be the algae using the nutrients. If you are seeing phos on the test kit, its probably actually higher than the reading for the same reasons.

Using products to eliminate or lower the amount of algae is fine but its a bandaid. You want to find the cause and correct it.

How old is the tank, whats the set up hob filter, sump, all in one?

Whats and how often do you feed

Do you vacuum the sand bed?

ReeferBrian

Hi,thanks for responding,the type of algae just looks like brown diatoms,and I totally agree with the algae consuming nitrates thus makeing the test read lower.all the hob filter has in it right now is the filter pads that are the stock pads that have carbon in them.I uped my weekly water changes from 20% once weekly to twice weekly,I have always vacuumed the sand so with today's water change everything looks cleaner,actually is very clean.so my next water change is this commingSaturday so we will see if the algae returns before then.I feed a pellet food twice a day pellet by pellet and most if not all get eaten by my clownfish,and yellow watchman goby.i need to update my cuc I believe,which is the cause of higher nitrates.right now all I have for cuc is 2 trochus snails,2bluelegged hermit crabs.would love to add a cpl Ceriths and nassirius snails.and I also agree that adding chemicals is a bandaid and the issue will return if I don't solve the issue causing the algae.but hopefully the added water changes and added cuc will help but if not ill have to take a different approach.

brandon429

That product isn't needed your tank can be fixed by manual cleaning since it's a nano it won't be very hard

Can you post a full tank picture, then it will be easy to call the fix mode based on pics

One thing I learned with small tanks is that nitrates increase quickly. I never had any issues in my old 55g.(i did a lot wrong in set up but the tank had minimal issues)

If you are running an hob filter I highly recommend cleaning it out monthly. Clean the intakes, the pump, and filter itself.

I often at water change day take my turkey baster and suck up some of the water in the filter to remove any detritus sitting on the bottom. This helped me a lot.

I would ditch the inserts that come with the filter. They are harder to keep clean and could lead to nutrient issues. They are also more expensive to replace.

Grab some filter floss at the lfs and change it out 1-2x a week(depends on how dirty it gets), if left in, the floss will become a nitrate factory. You can buy carbon and media bags. Put carbon in the bag, rinse clean, put in filter. I rinse mine at every water change to remove detritus buildup and change the carbon completely every month. I use matrix carbon-the smallest container has lasted me 7mnths with 2 tanks:)

Try using a turkey baster to blow off any detritus buildup on and in the rocks when you do water changes.

ReeferBrian

Th as brandon429 I agree with the manual cleaning I just added a extra water change this week Togo along with my usual cleaning that should help a lot.as for pics I'm an old over the hill retired cop who isn't too keen on tech stuff so I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics lol .clown79,I do clean my hob every col weeks and I like your ideas on ditching the stock filters for floss and carbon!going to my lfs Friday or Saturday to give this a shot,thanks for both of your input I truly appreciate your ideas!

You're welcome:)

Have fun at the fish store!

If you are using the computer just use the "more options" when doing a thread, then there is "choose a file", choose your pic from your files, then attach file.

Thats how i post pics

Archived