Cultivated Reef

Nick's 10g

nickkohrn

Full-Tank Shots

May 25th, 2016:

35.jpg

Equipment

• Tank: Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion (10g)
  • Automatic Top-Off: Tunze Osmolator nano 3152
  • Controller: Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite with temperature probe
  • Flow: Stock return pump, EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10wQD
  • Lighting: 18w Innovative Marine SKKYE Light (upgrading to Kessil a160w)
  • Heating: 50w Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm
  • Filtration: inTank Floss Holder with filter floss (upgrading to the Media Basket)

The Beginning

Well, it has been since 2008 that I have gone without a tank. That changed yesterday when I received my Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion Nano 10. I forgot how amazing this sight felt!

1.jpg

The tank will be temporarily housed in the basement because my wife and I anticipate relocating as soon as we are able to find jobs. I figured that I should keep it out of the way since we are currently living with my mother-in-law.

Onto more excitement!

I love big boxes!

2.jpg

However, I love what's inside of them even more!

3.jpg

I have had 10 gallons of saltwater heating and circulating for a couple of days in anticipation for the setup to begin!

4.jpg

I placed the tank on a counter in the basement, which is pretty sturdy and gives me plenty of space to work.

5.jpg

I threw about 10 pounds of sand in, and if definitely felt great on my hands again!

7.jpg

8.jpg

I attached the light and the Vortech MP10QD. It's quite impressive that the Voretech cost more than the tank and light! :rolleyes:

9.jpg

The fun part was filling this baby with saltwater! omgomgomg

10.jpg

I accidentally broke the light mount. I bumped it, and it broke off at the joints. So, with a little Golla Glue, I fixed it. Now, it just looks like a little salt-creep, which will be fine until I upgrade the lighting down the road.

11.jpg

Hooked up the Tunze Osmolator nano 3152, plugged in the heater, and turned everything on! :haha:

Now, it's time to wait until the dust settles!

12.jpg

And it has settled!

14.jpg

I have 10 pounds of dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply being delivered tomorrow, and my ReefKeeper Lite comes on Tuesday. The only other pieces of equipment that I want to get are an upgraded light, skimmer, and definitely a RO/DI unit. I used distilled water from our local grocery store (Meijer) to hold me over until I can order a unit. I plan on getting a few smaller pieces of live rock within the next week or so to help jumpstart the cycling process. As of now, the only bacteria that I will have in the tank are from the packet that came with the sand. It was kind of nice having the bacteria in the packet instead of free-flowing in the bag like it was years ago when I bought it.

As far as plans for the tank, I'll focus on softies and LPS (after a lighting upgrade). I definitely want chalices, zoas, acans, blastos, duncans, and rics. And for fish, I am not sure yet. I want something that loves the water column, but I also love the look of a coral-filled tank with a goby/pistol pair. Any suggestions? It's been a long time since I have been in the hobby, and I have to travel 1.5 hours in any direction to get to the nearest store that sells healthy livestock since everywhere close to me stopped carrying livestock.

As soon as levels are stable, I will order my CUC and let them go to town on the inevitable algae. Until then, I will just sit back and be in awe of the wonderful tanks on Nano-Reef!

RIP Sebastian

Well, after doing some thinking, I have decided to start this project over. I wasn't happy with using distilled water from the grocery store. I purchased a RO/DI unit from a local shop and filled a 10-gallon Rubbermaid tub of saltwater. I installed my Tunze ATO, MP10, heater, and turned it all on.

I was unhappy with the way that the Reef Saver rock crumbles when trying to create a nice aquascape by chiseling and hammering pieces away. I decided to order some Punaki rock, Tonga Branch rock, and a couple pieces of Tonga Shelf rock so that I could try to make a nice pillared aquascape. So this area is where I will be curing all of my rock that arrives on Tuesday from BRS. Since I don't have an established tank, and we plan on moving in the near future, I have plenty of time to cure the rock since I hear can take a while because of how much die-off Pukani rock contains.

Here is the current setup for the curing station:

14_1.jpg

13_1.jpg

15.jpg

I did notice that my tub has a small crack in the lip. Does anyone know if this will cause issues? I have noticed a slight bowing on the side that the crack is on, but nothing major.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

I also cleaned the tank out and removed the sand. Since I am planning to move in the near future, I wanted one less headache. Also, this will allow me to keep my VorTech toward the bottom of the tank to keep any detritus in suspension, where it will be thrown into the overflow and caught in my media basket from inTank!

19.jpg

I will add pictures of the rock as soon as I can after its arrival on Tuesday!

Since my rock will be curing for a while, I have plenty of time to save for a light! Does anyone have a recommendation as to which lighting option would suit my tank best? I plan on mostly soft & LPS corals. I might give SPS a try down the road. I also would love to upgrade to a 20-gallon in a year or so.

I was thinking about a Nano Box, but there are so many choices out there.

Everything looks great! As for the Nanobox, DOOOOO ITTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are the best lights- hands down. They are well worth the price. I'm also fairly certain that there is a used one for sale on here...................

Nick

Archived