Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

high nitrite/high nitrate simultaneously in new nano tank

devinedw

Everything I've read states - first ammonia spikes, then recedes. Second, nitrite spikes, then recedes. Finally, nitrate is high. How can I simultaneously have 4 ppm nitrite and 50 ppm nitrate? (New 28 gal nano containing only live rock.)

While your nitrites are turning to nitrates, your nitrites will decrease while your nitrates increase. It's a continual process.

brandon429

you wrote a clue Devinedw above that forms the basis of the entire linked thread...what true live rock does when you relocate it among two tanks

http://reef2reef.com/threads/new-tank-cycling-tank-bacteria-and-cocktail-shrimp-live-rock-no-shrimp.214618/

If you set up a tank using what we term in that link group B rocks, things are about to get a whole lot simpler

Merely disregarding all API readings and looking for coralline algae is pretty much the entire goal of discerning group B rock. Smelling the rock, and it smelling normal, is a far better indicator of status vs API.

The technique we use to cycle dry rocks vs live rocks is a polar opposite method, which is why we spend time grouping rocks in that thread. Your description is group B...is there coralline?

ReeferBrian

It's just that it's going through the process,your nitrates and nitrates should both be down soon.I just started a coralife biocube 14 gallon,and I had the same thing happen to my readings,I'm no expert but I think it's just topping out your nitrites and it's already being converted to nitrates,hang in there!

brandon429

Excellent! That's the simplest cycle known. full or big water change and input some frags=full cycle requirements of group b rock

coincidentally, a large water change is how we protect sensitive tiny live animals that accompany coralline when in the presence of water conditions less than ideal. Any setting other than true zero ammonia, and true zero nitrites means something is seriously off, and animals and coloration we paid top dollar for (vs bare white rocks and no coralline for a year) might die

the detail of 'true' zero is uber critical such that we opened the thread with its definition.

Archived