Cultivated Reef

FIRST LOOK: Kessil AP700 Magnetic Diffusion Optical Lenses

Marine Depot

Neptune Aquatics

The AP700 was tested quite extensively with SPS corals at Neptune Aquatics before it was released. You can see a video here:

In regards to shadowing, a point source light will always have more shadows. However, the lens on the LED, the reflector around the lens as well as the optional diffuser do help to redirect and scatter the light to help reduce shadowing as much as possible.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Update - 5/13/16 @ 2:22 pm PST

Response from Kessil when asked if there was any truth to what your LFS told you:

"Nope. Not unless the tank was too big for our recommendation or it's a shop with an old school reef mentality that hasn't been won over yet.

Most are very hesitant to use over SPSbut once they do, it's a different story."

AP700 cannot grow SPS? That's rubbish info. As mentioned by Marine Depot, we have been growing virtually every single type of corals from SPS to softies such as Acropora Simplex, Strawberrry Shortcake, Tri-color Valida, all type of Montiporas and other species of SPS available on the market under Kessil LED. In fact, we were able to do that with just the A350 series so when we paired an AP700 over our Innovative Marine SR80 you see in the video, it was was a piece of cake. If you don't believe us, we invite you to drop by the shop yourself and see if with your own how SPS are currently thriving in it. The distant from the water line to the DENSE Matrix on the bottom of the fixture is 18". There's a slight dark spot on the upper corners of the tank but that was expected for a fixture that is only 20" long on a 48" tank. On that tank, we just wanted to show what is the maximum ideal height that can be achieved for maximum coverage without compromising too much on penetration.

Robert

AP700 cannot grow SPS? That's rubbish info. As mentioned by Marine Depot, we have been growing virtually every single type of corals from SPS to softies such as Acropora Simplex, Strawberrry Shortcake, Tri-color Valida, all type of Montiporas and other species of SPS available on the market under Kessil LED. In fact, we were able to do that with just the A350 series so when we paired an AP700 over our Innovative Marine SR80 you see in the video, it was was a piece of cake. If you don't believe us, we invite you to drop by the shop yourself and see if with your own how SPS are currently thriving in it. The distant from the water line to the DENSE Matrix on the bottom of the fixture is 18". There's a slight dark spot on the upper corners of the tank but that was expected for a fixture that is only 20" long on a 48" tank. On that tank, we just wanted to show what is the maximum ideal height that can be achieved for maximum coverage without compromising too much on penetration.

Robert

Thanks Robert! Can you share what intensity and color you are running the AP700? Right now I ramp up to 60% Ocean Blue 2.

Neptune Aquatics

NP. We're running 100% intensity for 8 hrs on Ocean Blue 4. 2hrs ramp. 10hrs total photoperiod. All our corals are used to high lights because they are all kept under A360 series since the day they arrive at the shop so be careful to slowly acclimate yours to that intensity. BTW...ocean blue 2 has very high amount of white light compared to 4.

NP. We're running 100% intensity for 8 hrs on Ocean Blue 4. 2hrs ramp. 10hrs total photoperiod. All our corals are used to high lights because they are all kept under A360 series since the day they arrive at the shop so be careful to slowly acclimate yours to that intensity. BTW...ocean blue 2 has very high amount of white light compared to 4.

I will be running two AP 700's on my 48x30x24 at about 13" above the tank. Will I need the diffusion lenses to reduce shadowing? Or what do you recommend? I am mainly planning on LPS and zoas, but I'd like to have the option of SPS down the line.

Piggy backing on Robert, my boss. Here are some bad-ish phone pics I took today when I told him about this thread. haha He's ran the 700 over this tank since day 1. Pictures never do a tank justice. All the colors at Neptune Aquatics make is so hard not to walk out with tank.

v8GjnxBl.jpg

u9cbo3Yl.jpg

m7R82lTl.jpg

bHbKob1l.jpg

jJdu2Wbl.jpg

GRG9TWfl.jpg

89nQzqel.jpg

jedimasterben

I will be running two AP 700's on my 48x30x24 at about 13" above the tank. Will I need the diffusion lenses to reduce shadowing? Or what do you recommend? I am mainly planning on LPS and zoas, but I'd like to have the option of SPS down the line.

The lenses will not really reduce shadowing, you still simply have two points of light coming into the tank in a sharp conical pattern.

In the android app, Ocean Blue 4 has more whites than Ocean Blue 2....

Archived