Pod Your Reef

The floating rock 3.7 gallon pico

Thezachammer

Thezachammer

Hey everyone, i thought i would give reef keeping a REAL shot this time...since last time i built a super slick 20 cube and sold it before i ever set it up. This time i started with something that wouldnt be worth anything so id be more inclined to keep it;) the tank i chose was a petco brand 3.7 gallon curved glass cube, looks very similar to the cadlights 4 gallon pico. This little tank originally housed my girlfriends betta so i had previously stripped out the false wall and baffles to do a nice aquascape in...and it got boring in a hurry. Since i already had a much cooler planted nano running, i decided to go all in with a pico reef:

post-91225-0-28020200-1463127795_thumb.jpg

Heres the specs...

Tank: petco 3.7 gallon cube (stripped)

Filter: aqueon at10 internal power filter

Heater: hydor theo 50 watt

Lighting: innovative marine skkye led (old style 14 watt)

Livestock

Red tip hermit crab

4 sexy shrimp

Rock flower anemone

Duncan

Galaxea

Acan lord

Babymaker favia

Candy cane

Blasto

Riccordea yuma

Xenia

Dragons breath algae

Weekly maintenence: feed every other day rods food/roe. On fridays 100 percent water change. Siphon water into bucket, place rock in bucket, wash tank in sink;)

Its just a collection of frags at the moment since its only a couple months old, but everything seems to be happy and healthy

brandon429

That's totm worthy grow it out one year, take the spot. That live rock quality alone is far better than mine and any other reef I know. The tank will never store up waste, you'll be able to feed and export it endlessly

Thezachammer

I wouldn't give the rock too much credit haha it IS live rock, however it's real reef rock, it's manufactured with the same contents of natural rock but they use a dye to make it look already covered in coralline, it will get there in time though!

• 1 month later...
Thezachammer

I figure it's about time for an update, I wasn't a huge fan of the tank that I was using so I built another. I used 3/16 glass and black silicone and built a 10" x 12" x 8.5 gallon all in one. It holds about 3.5 gallons of water, about the same size but much better! I also built a cool little stand with an old school locker face, I'm planning on building a little better light but that will take a few more weeks. Anyway here are some shots of the tank as of nowpost-91225-0-78354500-1466454058_thumb.jpeg

post-91225-0-20661300-1466454349_thumb.jpegpost-91225-0-74412100-1466454362_thumb.jpeg

Archived