Pod Your Reef

Tristan's Reefer Nano

TristanC

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. The anemone is being a little bit of a pain in the butt. It wants next to zero flow, I had to run it for a few days without the mp10 because it kept detaching and floating around the tank. Now I have the mp10 on the back wall with the foam cover running 15%... Its inflating and showing good color throughout the day but at night it decides to move.

The anemone has been a little less of a hassle recently, but as you can see it is much bigger than I thought. The clowns have started hosting it which is why I wanted it in the first place but I haven't decided if it will be a permanent resident yet. Im hoping to do a little coral shopping on Thursday.

Guys I have some really bad news.... Clowns have been acting and eating as normal, sunday I got home from work and they both had white around their mouths but still were acting normally. Yesterday morning I wake up to find both of them breathing rapidly and swimming all screwed up. Well I freaked out and started researching what it could be, did a water change and intended to set up a hospital tank. Well as of this morning both fish are dead and I am so sad and irritated by this. I have no idea what could have killed them so quick as they were extremely healthy and vibrant fish....

Guys I have some really bad news.... Clowns have been acting and eating as normal, sunday I got home from work and they both had white around their mouths but still were acting normally. Yesterday morning I wake up to find both of them breathing rapidly and swimming all screwed up. Well I freaked out and started researching what it could be, did a water change and intended to set up a hospital tank. Well as of this morning both fish are dead and I am so sad and irritated by this. I have no idea what could have killed them so quick as they were extremely healthy and vibrant fish....

That sucks man! Sorry to hear! :(

Thanks guys, I'm so bummed about this. I just don't see how too perfectly healthy fish would up and die over the course of two days. I maintain good water quality and they were fed good quality foods every other day, I'm baffled.

Well I'm actually thinking about downsizing a little bit. My plan is to sell the reefer nano and pick up an IM10, something a little more simple. Id transfer over most of the rock and inverts (minus the nem). Im thinking mostly zoas and acans with possibly a single fish.

Damn man that sucks to hear about your clowns :( Maybe the clowns had some sickness that didn't show up till you brought it back.

And besides ease of maintenance, why do you want to downgrade? Sumps are much nicer than AIOs ya know...

Honestly my main reason for wanting to downsize is the ease of maintenance. Not going to lie alot of this recent desire to downsize is because the damn clowns died.

Honestly my main reason for wanting to downsize is the ease of maintenance. Not going to lie alot of this recent desire to downsize is because the damn clowns died.

initially, the maintenance was annoying for my reefer. but as time goes on and i finalized my equipments, it has been very easy. keep the reefer and get more clowns =).

Just read through whole thread and really enjoyed it until the last page.... Sorry to hear about ur clowns .... Ur nano is great, give it a few days and then decide.. I was the same when I sprung a leak in my long shallow so went out and got a 170 TBH it's the best thing I've ever bought and only been reefing just over a year.. You have a great nack and understanding of reef keeping by the looks of it and a gd eye for Aquascaping, so don't let your clown situation dictate a rash idea that u will prob regret in the long term.. #REEFERSUNITE

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate it guys, I really do. Ive been thinking about it over and over and I'm sorry to report that I will be downsizing. Couple reasons I'm deciding to go this route so soon into the reefers life. Im looking for something small and simple, less equipment, less complexity. I want something that I can easily move as this will be happening sometime soon. Long term plan is have the IM 10 as full as I can and let it grow out, maybe 1 fish but mostly coral and inverts. After I have moved into a larger place id like to get a bigger tank, ~50g or so.

All that being said I just need to downsize a bit for the time being, so the reefer and skimmer will be up for sale. Ill be using the Kessil and mp10 for the small tank.

Dang, I just got caught up, I'm so sorry about the clowns!

The IM10 works great for me as a low maintenance tank. Two gallons of water is all you need for a 20 percent water change. But we'll miss this tank :(

Archived