inTank Media Baskets

Tristan's Reefer Nano

TristanC

iZ4x22m.jpg

Established: 06/07/2016

Display: Red Sea Reefer Nano 28g System Volume

Lighting: Kessil A160we w/Spectral Controller

Filtration: Filter sock, Icecap K2-50 Protein Skimmer, IM minimax w/gfo & carbon

Circulation: Sicce 2.0 Return, Mp10qd

Heater: Cobalt NeoTherm 100w

ATO: Tunze Osmolator Nano

Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro

Rock: KP Aquatics uncured 15lbs

Sand: Caribsea Fiji pink 20lbs

Livestock:

ORA Picasso Percula Clownfish Pair

Green Bubble Tip Anemone

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well small problem has arisen, the drain pipe has begun to leak. I removed the connection to check the o-ring and its not broken or torn in any way. After redoing it a few times and the leak continuing I shut the tank off and contacted redsea.

Package came in the mail today. Kessil A160 w/controller, MP10qd, and neotherm 100W heater. I spoke with John over at reeflcleaners and my rocks are in transit, should be here at one point this week.

I got the leak figured out I think, I swapped the lockring from the emergency drain with the main drain and everything is dry. Aside from that very minor hiccup I absolutely love this tank even when I'm just staring at sand.

Po1i4iQ.jpg

I do have a question for all you kessil owners. Right now the light is 13" from the surface and the intensity is set at 100. I don't have anything in the tank obviously so it doesn't matter but for future reference what is everyone running theirs at? Ive found that I like the color at 60-65%, not too blue not too white (iPhone picture obviously doesn't show accurate color).

I started off around 35% and worked up to 60% about 7 inches off the water.

Thank you for the reply, what are the dimensions of your tank?

30x20x10

Ok cool. Im using the 90 adapter and 12" is about as low as I can go with it being centered. Thanks for the input.

Cencalfishguy56

Ok cool. Im using the 90 adapter and 12" is about as low as I can go with it being centered. Thanks for the input.

i run mine 30% color and 55% intensity at 8" off water 30x13x13

I ran a 360we 8" off the the water on a 34 cube. I think 13" is a bit to high. Although it depends on what you want to keep. Low light corals may do better with it at 13"????? Get some corals in there and play with it you will find a sweet spot. I have had all the Kessils except for the ap700 I hated the gooseneck tank mounts. I mounted mine with a ceiling mount and found that gave me way more flexibility as far as how high or low it was above the water.

Thanks for the replies. Once I actually have livestock I will start playing with the height some more. The gooseneck with 90 adapter looks great, I just wish I could bring the light down a few inches.

Also a little tank update. I was originally going to start with reefcleaners dry rock, I placed an order today with kpaquatics for uncured live rock. I Always wanted to try uncured rock for the crazy amount of life both wanted and unwanted, plus the bacterial profile is unmatched.

Well ended up ordering from gulfliverock instead of kpaquatics, should have the rock next week. I also have some reefcleaners rock coming in to get the scape I want.

I have my Kessil A350W over my 24 x 12 x 13 attached to a gooseneck + 90deg adapter and I have mine approximately 8" off the water.. you should be able to get your light lower than 13" if desired, or you might have to remove the 90 adapter to lower your light. I have mine set currently at 40% color 55% intensity.. added SPS to my new reef set up and I will slowly raise the color to 60% with 70-75% intensity.

I have my Kassil 160 over 2.5g ADA Mini S at 55% intensity and 70-75% color

I have my Kessil A350W over my 24 x 12 x 13 attached to a gooseneck + 90deg adapter and I have mine approximately 8" off the water.. you should be able to get your light lower than 13" if desired, or you might have to remove the 90 adapter to lower your light. I have mine set currently at 40% color 55% intensity.. added SPS to my new reef set up and I will slowly raise the color to 60% with 70-75% intensity.

Thank you for the replies. I screwed with it some more last night and now its sitting at right around 9" from waterline, I'm happy with that. Ive also been playing with the color and I'm loving it at 75%. Once this tank actually has life I'm thinking about starting at 50-60% intensity and adjusting from there.

Haha thanks man! I'm pretty stoked to be back. Do you have a tank running?

Indeed I do! Although I just tore it down and restarted it recently. It's going through an ugly phase, and I'm going to be starting a Probiotic method on it soon. I've been too busy to document my progress as I've been volunteering most of my time to assist those affected by the Alberta Wildfires.

I hope to start a thread soon though, as I miss a tank journal!

I look forward to yours though, Great choice on the tank and light. I'm also running a Kessil a160we :)

Indeed I do! Although I just tore it down and restarted it recently. It's going through an ugly phase, and I'm going to be starting a Probiotic method on it soon. I've been too busy to document my progress as I've been volunteering most of my time to assist those affected by the Alberta Wildfires.

I hope to start a thread soon though, as I miss a tank journal!

I look forward to yours though, Great choice on the tank and light. I'm also running a Kessil a160we :)

Thats really great you're volunteering your time, and a perfectly good excuse for the lack of a tank thread haha.

Thanks man, me too! Im still waiting on rock though, gulfliverock and reefcleaners rock should be here next week. Ive been researching other peoples aquaecapes looking for inspiration. I LOVE the kessil.

Awesome looking build, such a clean setup!

Thank you! Im really happy I went with the Red Sea system.

Welcome back! I'm a returning reefer, too, and got my latest tank set up just a month ago. You've got a really nice clean setup with this Red Sea system. Definitely looking at one of these as a potential upgrade down the road. :)

Welcome back! I'm a returning reefer, too, and got my latest tank set up just a month ago. You've got a really nice clean setup with this Red Sea system. Definitely looking at one of these as a potential upgrade down the road. :)

We always come back haha. Thank you, I appreciate that. I would definitely recommend it down the line. My only regret is not going with the 170 haha.

What kind of tank are you running right now?

We always come back haha. Thank you, I appreciate that. I would definitely recommend it down the line. My only regret is not going with the 170 haha.

What kind of tank are you running right now?

Nothing fancy like your system. Just an 11 gallon rimless tank. My apartment lease limits the size of aquariums I can have. So towards the end of the year I think I'm gonna move out and upgrade. :D

Archived