Top Shelf Aquatics

I have these brown little tree things on my live rock I cannot identify

xAyanex

Here is a picture:

26861680796_6583e7b925_k.jpg

I'm very new to Saltwater Tanks. My tank is still just cycling. This came on my live rock from the LFS. What is this? Is it good? Bad? The only hitchhiker I got with my rocks other than these weird brown things was a dead crab. There are more pictures on my thread although this is the best one.

Here is a picture:

I'm very new to Saltwater Tanks. My tank is still just cycling. This came on my live rock from the LFS. What is this? Is it good? Bad? The only hitchhiker I got with my rocks other than these weird brown things was a dead crab. There are more pictures on my thread although this is the best one.

Best I could figure out (i have them on my LR also) is they are harmless filter feeders of some sort. There's probably alot more life hiding in those rocks than you realize.

Best I could figure out (i have them on my LR also) is they are harmless filter feeders of some sort. There's probably alot more life hiding in those rocks than you realize.

maybe dead green things

Thank you for the responses. :) You were so right jimmyree! Today I found a six-pointed starfish. He was tiny and it was very difficult to get pictures with him in focus. I haven't been able to find him ever since, though. Also, I have a sudden explosion of pod population! Couldn't get a great picture of them either, because they're super tiny of course and I have a camera phone. But they are all over the glass! :) (Also, please excuse all the particles in the water-I changed the filter today after picture taking but my tank was getting a little cloudy because it was overdue).

Starfish Pictures:

26375634064_d3de1310ed_b.jpg

26376902213_ec6a8dc76f_b.jpg

26912601861_0fd3ab1d8d_b.jpg

26376894613_f69afab938_b.jpg

And here is the picture I got of the pods:

26376284854_1dd864358d_b.jpg

Thank you for the responses. :) You were so right jimmyree! Today I found a six-pointed starfish. He was tiny and it was very difficult to get pictures with him in focus. I haven't been able to find him ever since, though. Also, I have a sudden explosion of pod population! Couldn't get a great picture of them either, because they're super tiny of course and I have a camera phone. But they are all over the glass! :) (Also, please excuse all the particles in the water-I changed the filter today after picture taking but my tank was getting a little cloudy because it was overdue).

Starfish Pictures:

26375634064_d3de1310ed_b.jpg

26376902213_ec6a8dc76f_b.jpg

26912601861_0fd3ab1d8d_b.jpg

26376894613_f69afab938_b.jpg

And here is the picture I got of the pods:

26376284854_1dd864358d_b.jpg

No problem! That is a Asterina Starfish, and now you have to make some decisions. Some people would approach the tank with a flamethrower to rid themselves of them and some keep them with no issues. The biggest issue seems to be that their population can explode like crazy and some people claim they eat corals although it is debatable. Here's a link to an article about them, I haven't had to deal with them myself but being educated on our hitchikers (good and bad) is half the battle. http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/45-reefkeeping-101-

No problem! That is a Asterina Starfish, and now you have to make some decisions. Some people would approach the tank with a flamethrower to rid themselves of them and some keep them with no issues. The biggest issue seems to be that their population can explode like crazy and some people claim they eat corals although it is debatable. Here's a link to an article about them, I haven't had to deal with them myself but being educated on our hitchikers (good and bad) is half the battle. http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/45-reefkeeping-101-

Thank you! I was going to research them but you made my job a lot easier! We did a quick google search earlier and read that they may eat corals so I was prepared to get rid of it if need (although I won't have corals for weeks). However, I couldn't find it when I got home so I guess he's safe for now. This is fantastic reading material to start with, thank you very much!

aviator300

Get rid of the Star fish. it is an "Asterina Star" Read up on them and you will see that they are known for multiplying quickly and eating coral. Others will tell you they are harmless and that's why I say read up and judge for yourself.

Get rid of the Star fish. it is an "Asterina Star" Read up on them and you will see that they are known for multiplying quickly and eating coral. Others will tell you they are harmless and that's why I say read up and judge for yourself.

Thank you for the quick response! I am reading up on them now. I'm guessing I'd rather be safe than sorry-hoping this is something my LFS would be willing to take back. They mentioned taking back hitchhikers like crabs but didn't specifically mention starfish.

Reef Hollister

I've never had an Asterina Star bother any of my coral when I had an outbreak, but they will sure make your pretty purple liverock into bare brown liverock in a few days.

I have asterinas as well and haven't had any issues with them eating coral. I believe only a very small % of their species eat corals. For me, they seem to eat film algae and stuff so I like them in the tank. I also like having a good diversity of life to watch and care for :)

I've never had an Asterina Star bother any of my coral when I had an outbreak, but they will sure make your pretty purple liverock into bare brown liverock in a few days.

That's okay, all my live rock is mostly bare brown anyway, with just a few spots of pink.

I have asterinas as well and haven't had any issues with them eating coral. I believe only a very small % of their species eat corals. For me, they seem to eat film algae and stuff so I like them in the tank. I also like having a good diversity of life to watch and care for :)

Yes, most of the research I did agrees with you. I figure I will leave him in there. If I start to see too many, I'll manually remove them. And when I get my first coral I'll watch it very carefully anyway because it will be my first coral.

LadyBryozoa

Here is a picture:

The brown tree things are hydroids - they are filter feeders, but have the potential to overgrow stuff in your tank. The usual advice here is to get rid of them.

However - might not be an issue if they're all dead and it's just the stolons left. If alive, there will be little tentacles sticking out if the tubes (they will look sort of bushy) and when bothered, the tentacles will retreat back into the tube.

The brown tree things are hydroids - they are filter feeders, but have the potential to overgrow stuff in your tank. The usual advice here is to get rid of them.

However - might not be an issue if they're all dead and it's just the stolons left. If alive, there will be little tentacles sticking out if the tubes (they will look sort of bushy) and when bothered, the tentacles will retreat back into the tube.

Thank you for the advice! I will thoroughly research them and investigate them in my tank to see what action I should take if needed. They don't really seem to do anything but just sit there, but I'll definitely have a closer look.

Thank you for the advice! I will thoroughly research them and investigate them in my tank to see what action I should take if needed. They don't really seem to do anything but just sit there, but I'll definitely have a closer look.

My hydroids mostly died off as the tank cycled and I rearranged my aquascape. I have a few randoms that haven't really done much but be where they are at and one small colony (about 2 inches around) in a dark spot under my arch where nothing else will grow. Like the Asterina's I wouldn't eradicate them unless you see they are gonna become a problem. My $0.02.

My hydroids mostly died off as the tank cycled and I rearranged my aquascape. I have a few randoms that haven't really done much but be where they are at and one small colony (about 2 inches around) in a dark spot under my arch where nothing else will grow. Like the Asterina's I wouldn't eradicate them unless you see they are gonna become a problem. My $0.02.

That was the plan!

And mine mostly died off when I rearranged my aquascape as well, and they are also now mostly in a dark spot under an arch where nothing else will grow.

Archived