Cultivated Reef

What's that stuff to eradicate cyano and is it safe?

Hammerstone

Hammerstone

? Thank you in advance. Don't want to kill my reef. But I think I need help. I have Suns so I feed heavily and I'm sure that's brought this on.?

I remember people saying there was something that worked really well and I can't remember what it was. Chemi something I think it was?

reefernanoman

? Thank you in advance. Don't want to kill my reef. But I think I need help. I have Suns so I feed heavily and I'm sure that's brought this on.

I remember people saying there was something that worked really well and I can't remember what it was. Chemi something I think it was?

I have always battled this with a good ol turkey baster and higher flow and have won every time. I really hate throwing in chemicals inside my tank with all my delicate corals no matter how "safe" the products are. I would strongly suggest that first. Good luck.

Try upping husbandry and dosing bacteria first. Cyano gets a hold of the tank when there's a bacterial imbalance.

If a few weeks of higher flow, more frequently replaced media, and Microbakter (or something like it) doesn't do the trick, then consider chemiclean and other products?

Chemiclean.

Most people have good results with it. It seems to get a bad rap because it's viewed as a Band-Aid approach and not a long term solution for success though. I agree with the caveat that it's sometimes needed as a "boost" in a system that allows other processes to move in and be more successful in naturally outcompeting the cyano.

Just like anything though it's not without risk. I would use it if I were in a situation where I've had a long battle despite significant improvements to my maintenance routine. In other words I'm not running an unsustainable bio-load, I've increased flow, tuned skimmer, and adjusted my routine for reducing new and cleaning out old detritus.

I would not use it at the first sight of cyano or if I have very sensitive livestock, or if I'm too lazy to do the level of maintenance my tank needs.

Good luck!

I agree. Organics and nutrients are ultimately the problem. Sure more flow can help suspend detritus for your filter to remove (which can help), but you need to resolve the problem with exporting more and/or importing less. Generally (when not dosing carbon) the answer is in better husbandry. Adding bacteria might also help.

That said, I've relied on Chemi-Clean in the past and it works as advertised. First siphon out as much of the cyano as you can (don't add Chemi-Clean to a tank full of cyano). Solve the root cause, then dose Chemi-Clean (follow the instructions carefully):

1. Aquarium oxygen levels must be increased using heavy aeration or a large air stone.
  2. Turn off any UV sterilizers and ozonizers and remove any Chemi-Pure or carbon during treatment.
  3. Continue using a protein skimmer, although skimmer may require adjustment to prevent excessive overflow.
  4. Maintain normal water flow using pumps and powerheads.
  5. Add Chemi-Pure. to see how much to add, refer to the tabs above.
  6. Successful treatment may take up to 48 hours. After the 48 hour treatment period, preform a 20% water change.
  7. Turn on any UV sterilizers and ozonators and replace Chemi-Pure or carbon removed previously.
  8. Repeat as necessary. Chemi-Clean can be used monthly as a regular component of aquarium maintenance.
Hammerstone

Actually recently I put in stronger coral lights. This was when I got into anenomes and Zoas. Tank is about 21/2 years old. Just went in with the turkey Baster and made more of a mess than anything. I have a lot of pointy rocks and it sticks there. I even had it on top of my powerhead. (Rips hair out)

Hammerstone

I have a power head, a long bubble curtain, and a HOB. The chemiclean like posted previously said you MUST increase oxygen.

With all the oxygen going on I guess I need to add more. I could steal another bubble curtain from my other tank I guess?

How much are you feeding your sun coral? Also, are you target feeding each polyp or just blasting food in its direction? It's cleaner to target feed so that there's little leftover food.

It is possible to maintain NPS corals, but it requires you to have a much stronger filtration system in place for all the excess food.

definetly find the source, chemi-clean is great but its a band-aid not a cure. ive been battling cyano and diligence is key. just before i do water changes i pull as much as i can out, make sure to really clean the area while doing the water change. i also found a 72 hour black out was pretty effective for my tank.

I definitely recommend finding the cause and correcting it. Using chemi clean is ok when you have already attempted to control cyano with little to no change. Its not a permanent solution.

The suns do require hand feeding which does increase the waste in the tank. Are you feeding them directly with a pipette, that will help prevent excess food waste in the tank.

I found using a turkey baster didn't help either unless I was syphoning the mess out.

I keep a baby toothbrush onhand(used for tank only) when you do a water change try scrubbing the cyano off the rocks and syphoning it out.

I would also try replacing the filter floss more often for now and add somwthing like chemipure.

Do you clean the hob regularly? I found if I don't clean mine monthly-the nitrates increase.

I agree. Organics and nutrients are ultimately the problem. Sure more flow can help suspend detritus for your filter to remove (which can help), but you need to resolve the problem with exporting more and/or importing less. Generally (when not dosing carbon) the answer is in better husbandry. Adding bacteria might also help.

That said, I've relied on Chemi-Clean in the past and it works as advertised. First siphon out as much of the cyano as you can (don't add Chemi-Clean to a tank full of cyano). Solve the root cause, then dose Chemi-Clean (follow the instructions carefully):

1. Aquarium oxygen levels must be increased using heavy aeration or a large air stone.
  2. Turn off any UV sterilizers and ozonizers and remove any Chemi-Pure or carbon during treatment.
  3. Continue using a protein skimmer, although skimmer may require adjustment to prevent excessive overflow.
  4. Maintain normal water flow using pumps and powerheads.
  5. Add Chemi-Pure. to see how much to add, refer to the tabs above.
  6. Successful treatment may take up to 48 hours. After the 48 hour treatment period, preform a 20% water change.
  7. Turn on any UV sterilizers and ozonators and replace Chemi-Pure or carbon removed previously.
  8. Repeat as necessary. Chemi-Clean can be used monthly as a regular component of aquarium maintenance.

I have used it as well. With my new tank, I had trouble getting that balance to eradicate the cyano problem. I would cut down on feedings and my nutrients would drop, but the cyano wouldn't. I tried lights out and the cyano would seem to be at bay but within a day of bringing the lights back on, it was back. I increased flow, tried the MB7/biofuel approach and when none of that worked, I went for the chemiclean. I followed the instructions and had no visible negative effects from using it as directed. It cleared the cyano out within the 48 hour period, I did a big water change and haven't seen cyano since (been about 2 months or so.

This is great info, Seabass! Hammerstone, some good info here! What do you have for flow in your tank? What are your nitrates? Phosphates?

Hammerstone

Thank you guys so much for all the awesome responses. I target feed the Suns but they aren't happy since I changed the light so they are on a hunger strike so my attempts at feeding each polyp are wasted. That is wasted food!!! I don't know my numbers as I haven't tested in a very long time. I just watch each animal and if they act weird then I'll test. I even had a sparkly never used toothbrush especially for the tank that I forgot about. Thank you for reminding me. I have the chemiclean but will try more manual maneuvers like you guys told me before doing it. What I did yesterday helped, with turkey Baster. I will talk more soon. I just want you to know each and every response was golden and appreciated!!!!❤️

Archived