Pod Your Reef

11 oz chemi pure blue in a nano- how long does it last for you?

stash98

I have a bag of 11 oz chemi pure blue that fits perfectly in an Intank compartment in my filter. I had tried the nano before but it was very small pucks and the large bag ensures the water must go through it before returning from the filter. My tank is 11 gallons, so while this may be overkill, my tank has thrived.

Last change of the ChemiPure blue was March 17th. So it has been a while. I am curious how long people would let their Chemi Pure blue go before changing it - keeping in mind the 11oz size vs the 11 gallon tank.

My entire setup is floss into ChemiPure Blue and it has worked very well so far. I water change once to twice a week.

Boyd states that you should not over size chemi pure blue. The 11oz is a lot of media for this size tank.

Every tank is different but 1-2 months is a good range.

Boyd states that you should not over size chemi pure blue. The 11oz is a lot of media for this size tank.

Every tank is different but 1-2 months is a good range.

Damn, you think I am hurting the tank with such a large bag? I have not noticed any issues, but the container just says "up to 75 gallons" so it's not very clear.

Read the directions on the 5.5 oz portion. You should be better off with this size... or go back to the nano sized. I use mine for 3-5 months at a time and rinse them off during my water changes to make sure the media gets turned over and evenly used.

I contacted the company myself because I couldn't locate the nano size. My tank is only 15g and they advised me not to use the larger sized bags as it too much for my tank.

5.5 may be better but you can fine tune it with the nano size packets. 5.oz is for about 25 gallons.

Will it hurt I don't know, it's all subjective. It could strip too much out of the water. But I talk with Boyd very regularly and they do studies on all media before releasing. They stressed to me to sell what CP to what tanks and not have customers over use CP Blue.

Why did you reorder?!! You could just open the bag it came in and split the product up to get two bags!!

Because It cost me nothing to cancel via amazon and I'd rather use the presorted Nano bags then try and split it myself. I know 2 bags of nano will do 10 gallons which is probably a little more than the amount of water in my 11 gallon tank.

• 11 months later...

I had to change mine just over a mnth. On my 10g and 15g.

I switched back to my mateix carbon and phosguard, more cost effective and better results.

Since bacterial film will start to coat carbon pretty quickly (1-2 weeks), I use use smaller quantities more often. :)  

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I had to change mine just over a mnth. On my 10g and 15g.

I switched back to my mateix carbon and phosguard, more cost effective and better results.

Thanks

How often do you change phosguard?

When using phosguard, its best to test phos before using it, using small amounts of phosguard and retesting 4 days later. Determine use by the results of test. 

Archived