Pod Your Reef

Help LPS dying

DocReef

Hi Guys,

Hoping for some help here. Recently most of my LPS specimens have started to have their tissue recede. At first I thought it was some sort of biological warfare between specimens, but now even my isolated specimens are receding. My other coral, including SPS is doing great. I suspect a pest or some disease specific to LPS. Anyone have any ideas. I recently got snails, but I don't suspect they are causing the problem as some of the pieces started receding before I put them in. Here is a picture to demonstrate. Any help would be welcome.

IMG_20160510_131310.jpg

Not sure what the cause is yet, but here's some things we should do.

1. Elevate it off of the sandbed. See if you can put a frag plug or disk under it. The sandbed may be irritating it.

2. Take a red light to it at night and check to see if anything is eating it

3. Spot feed it and see if it reacts well

Because you noted that it is most and not just one of your LPS pieces, it leads me to believe this a tank wide problem and thus water needs to be double checked. If worst comes to worst, do a big water change. Big.

What's your typical routine for husbandry? I'd like to know what your mg levels are.

Along with what tsouth is asking, what are your alk levels? Lps is sensitive to low alk and I had a similar experience with acans when my alk dipped to 7 or just below.

Cencalfishguy56

Along with what tsouth is asking, what are your alk levels? Lps is sensitive to low alk and I had a similar experience with acans when my alk dipped to 7 or just below.

yup this! I noticed LPS don't do so hot in low alk, mine hovers around 9-10 and that's where I have found th sweet spot for the lps I currently have

yup this! I noticed LPS don't do so hot in low alk, mine hovers around 9-10 and that's where I have found th sweet spot for the lps I currently have

Not sure what the cause is yet, but here's some things we should do.

1. Elevate it off of the sandbed. See if you can put a frag plug or disk under it. The sandbed may be irritating it.

2. Take a red light to it at night and check to see if anything is eating it

3. Spot feed it and see if it reacts well

Because you noted that it is most and not just one of your LPS pieces, it leads me to believe this a tank wide problem and thus water needs to be double checked. If worst comes to worst, do a big water change. Big.

What's your typical routine for husbandry? I'd like to know what your mg levels are.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely do a big water change and check my alk and Mag levels. I change my water about every 2-4 weeks. I will start with that and see if that helps and report back. Thanks again.

Cencalfishguy56

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely do a big water change and check my alk and Mag levels. I change my water about every 2-4 weeks. I will start with that and see if that helps and report back. Thanks again.

how big is your tank? I do a water change every week and I really like the results, I could do every two weeks but elements would get depleted and algae would grow easily

Any peppermint shrimp in your tank?

-Definitely check your alk as previously stated.

Any peppermint shrimp in your tank?

-Definitely check your alk as previously stated.

No just a Cleaner Shrimp. Could it be the culprit?

how big is your tank? I do a water change every week and I really like the results, I could do every two weeks but elements would get depleted and algae would grow easily

I have a 20 gal.

I have a 20 gal.

If it's only your LPS you're having issue with....maybe. Do you feed the shrimp?

Wait awhile after lights out and spy on your tank. Normally not cleaners....but could be.

Cencalfishguy56

I have a 20 gal.

try a 5 gallon water change a week and see how that works out

Thanks everyone. I did a big water change ~50%, and now I'll just have to wait and see if things recover.

If it's only your LPS you're having issue with....maybe. Do you feed the shrimp?

Wait awhile after lights out and spy on your tank. Normally not cleaners....but could be.

The shrimp gets plenty of food since he steals the food when I feed the fish, but maybe. I'm thinking something else since I've had him for almost 2 years now with no issues.

Does anyone know if serpent stars eat LPS? I seem to have a lot recently but never thought they would be an issue. They're the small kind that hide in rocks.

Archived