inTank Media Baskets

Rickztah's Low Iron 22g RBTA / Euphyllia / Clownfish Update: 6-27-16

rickztahone

rickztahone

You're doing it right!

Thanks dude ;)

Glacial pace is the correct pace dude! nothing good happens fast around here haha.

That is what I have to keep telling myself haha. In all honesty, the glacial pace has more to do with the financial factor of it rather than my lack of commitment to it.

it will be interesting to see how this evolves. :) keep it up

Thanks Mike. Your tank is a huge inspiration for me. I love that you can hardly see any equipment in your build. I always stop by and see your progress as well. In fact, it was your thread that I showed my wife last week to show here where I'd like to go with mine. I love that you were influenced by Iwagumi style scaping. I have done planted tanks as well and have had dedicated Iwagumi tanks but never thought of transitioning the same thought process in to SW until I saw your tank.

This tank is coming along nicely. What are the plans for the outside stand design?

Have you figured out where the return will go?

The outside of the stand will be 2 colors, white (predominantly) and grey. The grey will be painted on all the recessed areas. It is difficult to see from the pics but most of the inside panels are recessed and these will all be grey. Truth be told, the only way I was able to do this build is to agree to give the whole room (living room) a make over. So, the make over is actually revolving heavily around the tank. So much so, that the room will have trim right at the top of the stand that will flow perfectly with a middle trim around the whole room which separates the grey and white theme. I also plan on making a very slim line floating canopy and that will be grey to contrast against the white wall behind it.

Here's the bad news...I just wasn't happy how much space the tank took laid out in the peninsula position. So, unfortunately, that means it will be an up against the wall tank. This may flow aesthetically more throughout the whole concept of the room, but man will I miss the idea of a peninsula tank.

Thanks for following along.

Really like this build. Love the scape, the design, the stand. Great Job!

Thank you. Stay tuned. The plumbing should be next and then I am going to be ready for paint. I'm itching to get her wet but at the same time I am super paranoid about it.

Question for everyone. I asked on another forum about using 1 single Jebao DC3000 to run the return as well as a manifold that will go to 2 reactors (TLF 150/BRS Dual reactor), and a chiller. Will that single pump be enough T'd off to run the whole system? I have another DC3000 as backup but not sure if I should opt to have one dedicated to the return and one for the manifold.

Any info is greatly appreciated

rickztahone
Didn't do much but was able to install some plywood to the top and bottom as well as create the sectioned off area for the electronics. The pieces of plywood don't matter much as they will be painted and covered. The top will be covered in trim and will not show the exposed edge:

27515825222_32bb8442df_b.jpgDSC09077 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

27004988554_06042de73d_b.jpgDSC09081 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

27515825132_c90e37b827_b.jpgDSC09082 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

27004988534_656aa383ef_b.jpgDSC09083 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

I still need to add the top plywood in the bottom section since I plan to add recessed lighting in there. It will also give it a cleaner look. Hopefully the section off area will keep the humidity out of there.

• Like 2
rickztahone

This wasn't part of the original design, but things always change when I have spare scraps and free time, lol.

I decided to add a "floating panel" on the access side. I plan on putting led's behind this section for a nice effect. I'm going to have to do a really good job painting this area because the wood is rough and I want it to match the rest of the quality of wood on the stand. I still need to drill a hole at the bottom of the floating panel to route the wires. In this manner, you shouldn't be able to see any wires what-so-ever. I still need to add an area inside the actual stand in order to mount a DJ switchboard but other than that, I am all set for plumbing and painting and finally the doors. The doors will be magnetic.
27557531381_0e0d43fee5_b.jpgDSC09113 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27596744836_197b0efb91_b.jpgDSC09114 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
These pieces didn't have to be accurate or pretty. They will never be seen and were just used to have this floating panel off the other piece of wood to able to route the wires behind it. It needed to be wide enough to pass a plug so I stacked these 2 each.
27353062040_b3732f260e_b.jpgDSC09115 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
This is how they will look behind the panel
27557531311_0b80622dcd_b.jpgDSC09116 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
This is them mounted up before I add the floating panel on top of them.
27557531301_565c0bb139_b.jpgDSC09117 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
and all done. It is difficult to photograph this to look how it does in real life but I think it came out great. The Led's should accent the whole build pretty well.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
rickztahone

You have done a good job, and done well not to fill it yet... I'd be cutting corners to get it filled haha

lol, project kind of stalled because I had to do some travelling and got a new job that I had to buy a whole new wardrobe for. No funds for this unfortunately till later. However, I did get a good chance at getting a Reef Angel for a good price and I think I can't pass it up. So, I should have a controller and I would need to get my dosing pumps at that point.

• Like 1
rickztahone

Something cheap you could do is get the rock cycling in a tub with a power head. :) that might stave off the waiting pains

A buddy of mine told me the same thing. Had I started when he told me, my cycle would have been good by now, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
rickztahone

Very nice job. Excellent build with both the tank and stand.

Thank you very much. I am still trying to get this Reef Angel controller set up.

• Like 1

I just read through your thread and I really like what you've done - the stand and tank are both beautiful and it's really nice to read along with the thought process you are going through for the design.

Good luck with the new job and I hope you get funds to keep going soon :D

• Like 1
rickztahone

I noticed your return and emergency are same height and that's a no no for herbie. Lower the main siphon.

I did not go with a Herbie setup, I went with a Bean Animal overflow but thank you for looking out :)

I just read through your thread and I really like what you've done - the stand and tank are both beautiful and it's really nice to read along with the thought process you are going through for the design.

Good luck with the new job and I hope you get funds to keep going soon :D

Thank you very much. New job is great. The build hasn't been as stalled as I thought. I did buy the reef angel which I really like actually. The customization is unlike anything I could have guessed. Much more than the RKL would have offered, so I am glad I went that route and I am glad I got at a good price.

Secondly, I am on my way to pick up 2 BRS dosers with containers from a fellow member. That will take care of my dosing needs for Calcium and Alk. He is even throwing in some Calcium and Alk :).

So, still moving forward little by little but the next stage should be a huge one. Still dialing things in and still need plumbing, but after that I should be rocking and rolling.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update?????

Glad you asked. I've been busy the last 2 weeks or so. Take a look :)

Well after a big break from this build, I started back up.
Two tone Paint and installed the magnets for doors and sump lights. Still need a few other things like plumbing which is the main part and after that I should be good to go.
On to the pictures:
31115542072_7f21a0f877_b.jpgDSC00333 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Added the frost tint from HD
30891571610_21fccd286f_b.jpgDSC00334 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Prepped overflow side for painting. I wasn't overly satisfied with the way this turned out. I initially started painting it with a roller and didn't like the lumps it was leaving behind. Ended up spray painting it but some of the lumps still show throw which is really aggravating my OCD, lol.
30451575893_6272f8b5fa_b.jpgDSC00336 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Before Paint
30451574663_7d01541817_b.jpgDSC00337 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
After 1 coat of primer.
31223309706_1681569f80_b.jpgDSC00437 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
forstner bit used for recessed magnets.
30451575553_d114d000f7_b.jpgDSC00439 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
More magnet holes
31115541892_9615023a2b_b.jpgDSC00466 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
This is the template for the recessed lights in the sump.
30451574253_9510e192a3_b.jpgDSC00467 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Tools used for this
30451575333_593b70af24_b.jpgDSC00468 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Not the cleanest circle but it will do.
31259154935_3dcdc16b77_b.jpgDSC00472 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Recessed lights for the sump installed. Still waiting on the wiring for these to hook them up.
30451574613_aed58e732d_b.jpgDSC00483 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
I cleaned the sump area a little to represent more of how it will look like
30451575413_0ba9e0a0b0_b.jpgDSC00476 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Right side view
30451575073_ee8b9fea78_b.jpgDSC00477 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Left
31115541742_3da19171e9_b.jpgDSC00481 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Solo tank shot
31259155115_b5f5f54f4d_b.jpgDSC00492 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
You can see the 2 tone paint job a little better here.
30451574123_44278581a0_b.jpgDSC00497 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Side panel. This is still in progress. I still need to drill that bottom plug port and I need to buy smaller screws to hang up some other accessories in there. I didn't do the greatest job in painting this are which is kind of driving me nuts but you can't see that part anyways.
31144740901_9d7c70097c_b.jpgDSC00507 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
Finally, doors are on.
I would have shown the side shot as well with the doors on but the side of the large doors doesn't have paint on the sides and it is an eye sore. I will paint the sides and reshoot soon.
I got the wiring for the sump lighting and I finished that yesterday. I also started routing a whole bunch of wires and velcro'd a whole bunch of stuff on the side panel.
It is all coming together now.
One of the main reasons I took so long to progress was because in order for me to move forward with the build I had to paint the living room. I had it in my head that I wanted the tank stand to match my walls. I did a 2 tone paint job on the walls separated by trim and I made it so the trim falls right in line with the stand top trim.
This was all planned out but the execution of it took longer than expected because it required a lot of time, and a good amount of money.
Thanks for stopping by :)
  • Like 1
Wired the sump lights. They look a little more yellow than they do here in the pics. I really like how bright they are considering they are LED's though. This will toggle via the Reef Angel controller from the wifi module via my phone just as everything else will :)

I'm still in the process of organizing the rats nest. I had to get some low profile extensions for the outlets or else my door wouldn't close. That ran me $40 and that is just for 8. I still need another 8. Truth be told, I am not even sure I need the other 8 plug relay. Seems like overkill. However, when I got the controller, the guy just threw that in. I wasn't going to say no to a $120 relay.

31293836316_03293df44f_b.jpgDSC00517 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

30507669024_50e4ffa13d_b.jpgDSC00519 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

31293836126_470004fbeb_b.jpgDSC00526 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

30507668904_25683f728c_b.jpgDSC00528 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
  • Like 2
Sorry for the flood of pics. I am just excited to be working on this project again. The next things to do is the plumbing and chiller housing and wiring.
Wiring this was not fun. I was not happy the way everything ended up. I wanted a cleaner side panel but the truth is I just simply didn't have enough space. I will get zip ties and such but the wires will be visible to an extent :(
Oh well. Can't have everything your way. Wiring the dosing pumps and the ATO was not fun at all, but the worst of all was the power wire for the RA relay. It took me close to 30 minutes to run one wire. I had to stop in the middle of the wiring because I got so frustrated lol. In the end I got it though. I didn't buy enough of the low profile extension cords. Still need 4 more but I may just buy all 8.
I never imagined that I would use up more than one relay but as it stands, this is what I have plugged in:
Main Relay
1-Return Pump (Main)
2-Heater (Not yet purchased)
3-Light fixture
4-Calcium doser
5-Skimmer
6-Alkalinity Doser
7-ATO
8-Sump Lights
Second Relay
1-Chiller (not wired as I do not know the location of it yet)
2-Return pump #2 for chiller
3-MP20
4-ORP
31202848522_e4dfed6855_b.jpgWired 22g by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
  • Like 2
  • 3 months later...

DUDE! you are building my dream tank right now. Your build has been awesome. You are doing a lot of the same stuff i plan on doing plus some! I've got some great ideas from your build for when i'm ready to start mine.

I really like your overflow box that you attached to the tank. I was planning on something like that but have my return line on one side and suction on the other.

I've never really been a fan of BB tanks but with the bottom painted white like that makes it look awesome! If i didnt like sand sifting Gobies so much i would totally do a BB like yours. Looks super clean!

Cheers! Keep the updates coming!  

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
rickztahone
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:09 PM, Scorched said:

Does this tank have water in it yet?

Unfortunately not. I have troubleshooted this RA controller and it has been somewhat of a pain and it was a bit discouraging. I want a plug and play system and so far it hasn't been that.

I'm selling my discus tank so that will be extra funds for this tank. Not sure if it is a good idea to set it up during summer though, we get in the 115F temp here.

Thanks for following along. Your tank was my inspiration, I am sure I have told you that before.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, AquaCraze said:

DUDE! you are building my dream tank right now. Your build has been awesome. You are doing a lot of the same stuff i plan on doing plus some! I've got some great ideas from your build for when i'm ready to start mine.

I really like your overflow box that you attached to the tank. I was planning on something like that but have my return line on one side and suction on the other.

I've never really been a fan of BB tanks but with the bottom painted white like that makes it look awesome! If i didnt like sand sifting Gobies so much i would totally do a BB like yours. Looks super clean!

Cheers! Keep the updates coming!  

Thanks for following along and the encouragement. This tank layout was envisioned way before anything was bought and I am slowly piecing everything together. I like thinking of everything ahead of time but some things still catch you by surprise. If you need to ask me anything, just let me know, I should be online a lot more frequent now with me gearing up to finish this build.

I need to plumb the chiller to this thing next.

• Like 2