Cultivated Reef

Rickztah's Low Iron 22g RBTA / Euphyllia / Clownfish Update: 6-27-16

rickztahone

Dig your build.

I like your two island layout it seems to fit the dimensions and scale of the tank just right.

Any update on plumbing progress? I have a similar idea for a rear herbie overflow on a 22L and looking forward to your results.

Cheers.

• Like 1
rickztahone

Dig your build.

I like your two island layout it seems to fit the dimensions and scale of the tank just right.

Any update on plumbing progress? I have a similar idea for a rear herbie overflow on a 22L and looking forward to your results.

Cheers.

Bought BH's a few days ago and waiting for those. Will have to wait for the full on plumbing ($$) as that will probably be a good $150 with True unions/gate valves/BRS colored PVC and manifold...

rickztahone
Had some time to work on the tank today. Mainly focused on putting the overflow in place. Also, I put in place a white piece of acrylic inside the outer overflow so that when you see the tank from the other end, you can only see white.
Didn't have time do much else :(
27171082805_eac5d1fcde_b.jpgDSC08747 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27075897182_ec1ac45ddc_b.jpgDSC08749 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
26565164834_e285202d74_b.jpgDSC08750 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

27171082525_7bd5c61382_b.jpgDSC08751 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27171082445_018380d69c_b.jpgDSC08753 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

I added a slight grade on the inner overflow so that the water goes over the overflow more quietly.

rickztahone
I have a question I am hoping someone can help me out with.

I am looking at the Reefkeeper controller option. BRS has a great price on the RKL SL2 package. However, it only come with one bar (4 ports). I am wondering, do I really need another bar to run the crucial system operations?

I don't plan on hooking up the light to it since it is controlled on its own.

I could also have the ATO not be connected directly, its a JBJ one but would like to use it if it is more reliable via the RK.

I also have a skimmer (not sure if I need to have this directly connected to the bar?).

What else would I need to crucially need connected to the bar?

Also, I noticed that one of the differences between the Lite Elite and the BRS Lite SL2 Kit is a System Lab X for one and a System Lab 2 for the other. Does anyone know what the difference between those are?

On paper the SL2 Kit looks like a better deal minus the 1 missing bar and whatever the difference between the Lab X and Lab 2 is.

Help?

Here's the link to the item:

Oh, and before anyone suggests it, I cannot afford the Apex and not sure that I would like to purchase it down the line either. I'm fine with simply spending the $159.99 with this system with their $100 deal.

rickztahone
I just had a "dug" moment. The system Lab X would be the regular module and the System Lab 2 would be the SL2 module. Good one Rick....

My other questions still stand though :)

I mean my reef angel has 8 ports and they're all filled plus some. Skimmer, return pump, heater, mp10, rw4, ato, sump light, reactor pump. That's all 8. My light requires 2 plugs (T5 and LED) but that is connected to my DJI powerstrip. I'd get a second module so you control. Water change: boom everthing turns off besides light with one click. Feed moder: turns skimmer and return pump off, etc. Because you are a diy I assume you know code or adurnio based systems. You may like the reef angel

• Like 1
rickztahone

I mean my reef angel has 8 ports and they're all filled plus some. Skimmer, return pump, heater, mp10, rw4, ato, sump light, reactor pump. That's all 8. My light requires 2 plugs (T5 and LED) but that is connected to my DJI powerstrip. I'd get a second module so you control. Water change: boom everthing turns off besides light with one click. Feed moder: turns skimmer and return pump off, etc. Because you are a diy I assume you know code or adurnio based systems. You may like the reef angel

That looks like a great option. As DIY inclined that I am, unfortunately, programming is not one of my talents. I'm sure I could learn, and in fact, I may just try it out, but it seems like a very high learning curve with someone with no experience what-so-ever with coding.

I saw a couple of videos on YT about it though and I love the flexibility it has. TFS

• Like 1

That looks like a great option. As DIY inclined that I am, unfortunately, programming is not one of my talents. I'm sure I could learn, and in fact, I may just try it out, but it seems like a very high learning curve with someone with no experience what-so-ever with coding.

I saw a couple of videos on YT about it though and I love the flexibility it has. TFS

so I know nothing about coding as well. Still learning. However the reef angel portal is super easy. Literally plug in your reef angel to the computer, open Reef Angel Wizard and it gives you the push and click options of what you want to program. Literal step by step.

Example:

Step One is Selecting Reef Angel Plus or Regular

Step Two is adding extensions i.e. dimming module, or Reef Link for Ecotech module etc.

Then the rest of the steps are going through port by port for the plug ins. So Port 1 is set to always be on, port 2 is my ato, port 3 is heater which they give you two temps to keep tank between. I might upload a tutorial of reef angel because youtube videos lack on it.

When it comes to hard coding that is simply to customize it perfectly to your liking which I haven't done. For $269 it is not a bad price for a controller at all.

here is a video of the Wizard setup!

• Like 1
rickztahone

so I know nothing about coding as well. Still learning. However the reef angel portal is super easy. Literally plug in your reef angel to the computer, open Reef Angel Wizard and it gives you the push and click options of what you want to program. Literal step by step.

Example:

Step One is Selecting Reef Angel Plus or Regular

Step Two is adding extensions i.e. dimming module, or Reef Link for Ecotech module etc.

Then the rest of the steps are going through port by port for the plug ins. So Port 1 is set to always be on, port 2 is my ato, port 3 is heater which they give you two temps to keep tank between. I might upload a tutorial of reef angel because youtube videos lack on it.

When it comes to hard coding that is simply to customize it perfectly to your liking which I haven't done. For $269 it is not a bad price for a controller at all.

here is a video of the Wizard setup!

Wow, that honestly doesn't seem so bad if it is a self generator. Thank you for bringing this controller up, I had honestly not heard about it prior. It is definitely cheap for what it looks to be capable of.

And this is Wi-Fi enabled correct? One thing the RKL lacks.

• Like 1

Wow, that honestly doesn't seem so bad if it is a self generator. Thank you for bringing this controller up, I had honestly not heard about it prior. It is definitely cheap for what it looks to be capable of.

And this is Wi-Fi enabled correct? One thing the RKL lacks.

100% with the wifi module. With the WiFi module you can control/monitor everything via the reef angel app. Along with controlling each individual port. If you go DIY light I recommend getting the PWM version so you can use LDD drivers. Also if you ever have questions Reef Angel has its own forum for members to post questions and answers. The best part about reef angel is you can control all your Jabeo/DC pumps and skimmers or buy the Reef Link Expansion to control all Ecotech items wireless.

http://www.reefangel.com/product_wifi.aspx

also make sure to get the reef angel plus

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/372979-reef-angel-plus-review/

• Like 1
rickztahone

100% with the wifi module. With the WiFi module you can control/monitor everything via the reef angel app. Along with controlling each individual port. If you go DIY light I recommend getting the PWM version so you can use LDD drivers. Also if you ever have questions Reef Angel has its own forum for members to post questions and answers. The best part about reef angel is you can control all your Jabeo/DC pumps and skimmers or buy the Reef Link Expansion to control all Ecotech items wireless.

http://www.reefangel.com/product_wifi.aspx

also make sure to get the reef angel plus

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/372979-reef-angel-plus-review/

Very nice. My light isn't DIY, its a Maxspect Razor, but it is good to know it has the capability to control it fully if it was DIY. I do have 2 Jabeo pumps that I would run in the tank so may be a good investment as well.

• Like 1

Very nice. My light isn't DIY, its a Maxspect Razor, but it is good to know it has the capability to control it fully if it was DIY. I do have 2 Jabeo pumps that I would run in the tank so may be a good investment as well.

definitely!

rickztahone
As promised, I was able to start my stand build today. Went with premium pine wood for easier time painting it. Very easy wood to work with and I am glad I spent the few extra bucks for it. Went with pocket holes via Kreg Jig for most of it except for side pieces.

I hope you like :)

Fresh cuts from Home Depot. Started with all 48" pieces but cut them down myself. I don't really trust HD cutting. I made the stand 44" tall and there's a reason it is so tall which I will explain later.

26710892074_b2f3e31a47_b.jpgDSC08868 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

I was drawing the lines that will show me the recessed section of the stand. These are my guide for lining up the side panels.

27318060655_da379d7e77_b.jpgDSC08875 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Prepping for Kreg Jig

27043090550_037fb29090_b.jpgDSC08876 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Done with Kreg Jig :)

27318060555_fa3550b363_b.jpgDSC08877 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Now these were much thinner than all the rest. Reason being was that if I went with 1x4's like I did for all others, I wouldn't have too much side panel access, probably 2" max. By going with a smaller wood piece it gave me much more clearance. However, this meant I couldn't do pocket holes. So, I predrilled and also used a pilot for recessed screw heads that I can cover up later.

27318060755_21945a8bf6_b.jpgDSC08878 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Everything drilled and ready for assembly

26710891924_d662b152b3_b.jpgDSC08879 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Laying everything out to get an idea of where everything will go

27318060685_3cf31ff77d_b.jpgDSC08880 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Better shot of all 4 panels upright

26711782903_bec615a445_b.jpgDSC08881 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Clamp and drill time

26710891824_9f591a6183_b.jpgDSC08882 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

All done but still need to add cross beams for tank support. Still need to do the bottom cross beams but didn't get to do it at the time. Will actually work on that now but wanted to get these pics up

27318060485_92cc5a3e41_b.jpgDSC08883 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Cross beams in. Also used pocket holes here

26710891684_d03916bef5_b.jpgDSC08885 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

You'll notice the stand is actually a little off the ground. I did this on purpose and I was hoping it would add something to the overall build

26710891384_8b9f633d09_b.jpgDSC08886 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Back to what I was saying about the height of the stand. I made it so tall because this room is actually going to get painted and I will also be adding a mid-level trim piece on all walls. I wanted to incorporate this in to the stand itself so it flows with the walls as well. Being that it is so tall, I will have to brace it to the wall which shouldn't be a big problem.

• Like 1
rickztahone
I'll apologize in advance because this next post will be a LONG one with a lot of pics.
So, things to mention:
The stand is intentionally bigger than the tank. This was on purpose so that I can put a nice acrylic or glass finish to reflect the tank a little along the lip. Also, it is larger to fit a larger tank down below so that it isn't so snug.
Also, I still need to add plywood on both tank bottom and sump bottom. They are just sitting on cross beams now. Will fix this soon. There's cardboard under the tank to preserve the painted bottom.
The outer overflow box WILL be painted so it will not be an eyesore as it is now. It will be painted the same white as the stand so I am waiting to get that in before I paint this section.
I am sure I am forgetting other things, but as it stands, it is more than half way done. Pretty happy with the way it turned out.
Let me know what you think.
Lets go:
27249414361_b1ca364625_b.jpgDSC08911 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27044557390_0482c491df_b.jpgDSC08913 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
26712352084_026d469efb_b.jpgDSC08915 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27249413941_093ed58c91_b.jpgDSC08918 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27249414281_27d6883273_b.jpgDSC08919 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27044557270_a774318513_b.jpgDSC08922 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
26712352334_7bb08217ae_b.jpgDSC08923 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27044556990_7a5016b720_b.jpgDSC08924 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
26712352024_5195def432_b.jpgDSC08928 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

27249414171_1c64da83b5_b.jpgDSC08932 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27044557220_44344cc7e6_b.jpgDSC08933 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27249414121_5b034ca3d1_b.jpgDSC08936 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
26712352154_4105786385_b.jpgDSC08937 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27044557090_9fbf139bdb_b.jpgDSC08938 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27249414111_3dbc97894e_b.jpgDSC08939 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
27249413741_056c728ab4_b.jpgDSC08940 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
  • Like 4
rickztahone

I should mention this, someone brought up that I should hang my lights. That has always been the plan, I simply forgot to mention it. Will do this soon enough

• Like 1
rickztahone

Get her wet!

haha, I wish it were that easy. Although I have made a lot of progress, I feel I am miles away from the finish line here. Still need to get plumbing parts for DT to sump as well as a manifold. Still need to get some dosing containers and dosing pump along with a few other tidbits.

Someone kept telling me to never rush a reef tank, and so far, I feel like I have been moving at a glacial pace, lol.

• Like 1

haha, I wish it were that easy. Although I have made a lot of progress, I feel I am miles away from the finish line here. Still need to get plumbing parts for DT to sump as well as a manifold. Still need to get some dosing containers and dosing pump along with a few other tidbits.

Someone kept telling me to never rush a reef tank, and so far, I feel like I have been moving at a glacial pace, lol.

You're doing it right!

• Like 1

Glacial pace is the correct pace dude! nothing good happens fast around here haha.

• Like 1

This tank is coming along nicely. What are the plans for the outside stand design?

Have you figured out where the return will go?

• Like 1