SaltCritters.com

Bubble algae in FW Slo-Mo (Originally: Bubble algae on acan frag)

dandelion

dandelion

I'm thinking about taking it out and try to remove with a razor without breaking the bubbles. I'm pretty sure I'll pop a few during the process. Should I do a freshwater dip? Will that cause harm to the coral?

Freshwater dip won't do anything for algae. Would need to use some peroxide but i imagine an acan would be pretty angry about it.

I would just remove the algae and rinse in old salt water and pray. You could also try a QTIP to carefully apply peroxide.

dandelion

i one time removed a bubble algae intact from another tank and tossed it into my FW tank. It busted the bubble immediately I assume from osmotic pressure. But I suppose you're right too.

Freshwater dip won't do anything for algae. Would need to use some peroxide but i imagine an acan would be pretty angry about it.

I would just remove the algae and rinse in old salt water and pray. You could also try a QTIP to carefully apply peroxide.

Just dip a Q-tip in some hydrogen peroxide from the store and apply it to the algae, avoiding the coral as much as possible.

I dip my acans in 50% peroxide / tank water for 5 minutes. Acans are hardy and will look like normal a day or two later. The peroxide won't hurt them.

i one time removed a bubble algae intact from another tank and tossed it into my FW tank. It busted the bubble immediately I assume from osmotic pressure. But I suppose you're right too.

My thought is it won't kill the spores or prevent it from growing back but peroxide should take care of that. I wash the bubbles I remove down the sink but never seen them pop so that is interesting. Maybe next time I will have to push some underin a cup of fresh water just to see.

HarryPotter

just get an emerald crab. He;ll take care of it.

He'll pop the bubble and the spores will spread everywhere :)

dandelion

That's what I heard. I'll try to manual remove as much as possible and maybe put a few drops of 50% peroxide on the spots.

He'll pop the bubble and the spores will spread everywhere :)

I dip my acans in 50% peroxide / tank water for 5 minutes. Acans are hardy and will look like normal a day or two later. The peroxide won't hurt them.

Yep, this is what I've always done and never had any issues.

From what I read they don't always have spores in them. Can't remember if it had to do with species or what.

Archived