SaltCritters.com

Need help with new ACAN

aviator300

aviator300

I received this Acan from a vendor about a week ago and it has been in my Q-tank since. When it arrived I checked it closely and it seemed OK but I was looking at it today and noticed the back side (which I have not seen lately due to position in the Q-tank) seems to be receding and discoloring. The side of the coral which does not show in the photo looks healthy without issue but as you can see, the back side seems affected by something. I have not dipped it in my Coral Rx yet and want to get some input before doing so.

Q-tank info.

PH 8.2

Spgr 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5.0

PO4 undetectable

CA 420

MG 1320

Light PAR 30 18k 12" up

Temp 78 F

74140ec8-e396-40e9-b3ca-5f77c9823e06_zps

ReefSafeSolutions

I don't know much about acans and what is/isn't normal in your picture, but with regards to the discoloring...it might be from your lighting. If the receding issue turns out to be a problem, that might be the cause of it, but I know with the acans I got last week, the day after I put them in my tank, they started to change colors. Something to do with the LEDs. So if it's a color shift, likely lighting...if the colors are fading, it could be something else.

I just reread this and it's probably not even helpful. So I'll be following along to see what others say.

aviator300

I don't know much about acans and what is/isn't normal in your picture, but with regards to the discoloring...it might be from your lighting. If the receding issue turns out to be a problem, that might be the cause of it, but I know with the acans I got last week, the day after I put them in my tank, they started to change colors. Something to do with the LEDs. So if it's a color shift, likely lighting...if the colors are fading, it could be something else.

I just reread this and it's probably not even helpful. So I'll be following along to see what others say.

Thanks for replying and everything is helpful.

Also, look up brown jelly disease and see if a gentle basting removes discolored flesh. If so, a diluted iodine (I use drugstore betadine) dip may help.

fishfreak0114

Ive dipped acans in 500mls tank water with 7 drops of iodine mixed in for 15-20 minutes. It helped mine.

Fishfreak's method sounds good. I just mix some drop by drop in a bowl of tank water til it looks like tea, dip for 3 to 5 min, then rinse with clean salt water before replacing in tank.

Elizabeth94

+1 on the Betadine. I am a strong advocate for it as it has saved a few of my lps that were showing signs of infection. I also dip my acans in it if they are closed up during the day. By the next morning they are usually opened up, and some even open within hours after being dipped. It should help if this is a bacterial issue.

Newstead has you covered for how it should be done.

aviator300

I ended up dipping the Acan in Coral Rx last night and looks much better today. BTW, I examined the Acan out of water before dipping and that discolored spot on the back of the plug is nothing more than that, just a hard, discolored spot. No sign of Brown Jelly disease.

Archived