Cultivated Reef

Okay, fine! (Fusion 20)

Mariaface

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StinkyBunny

Nice meeting you today, the shipment wasn't all that exciting, 2 boxes of live rock. Fiji and a Bali prop are the ones to see.

Nice meeting you today, the shipment wasn't all that exciting, 2 boxes of live rock. Fiji and a Bali prop are the ones to see.

Nice meeting you, too! :D Happy to hear we didn't miss out on much. Maybe next time!

Both the cyphastrea and the pavona had filaments out yesterday. The pavona's were the regular ones used for stinging, and the cyphastrea had its filaments bunched up at the corner (kind of like feeding, but without food and closest to the pavona). Uh oh.

Not sure that I should remove them from their holders before the encrusted portions grow mouths. Maybe I can redistribute the frags so that these two are at opposite corners, and less likely to kill each other. Hmmmm.

Remind me to find a permanent spot for the monti (thanks, carp!) before it takes over another frag tree holder whatchamadoodle.

But real talk: Anyone have aquascaping suggestions? xD I'm considering putting that bright orange paly in between the clam's hammock and the rock beneath it, so that it'll mat out there and fill the space in. The cyphastrea might end up on a magnetic plug on the back wall, opposite the grafted monti side. The pavona needs to go far, far away from everyone.

Maybe the new monti can go near the RFA, carp? They kind of match, though, which may not be good for contrast. Hmmm.

The pavona totally burned that corner of the cyphastrea. They're not allowed to sit next to each other in class anymore.

I'm pretty impressed by that - I had read that cyphastrea ranks pretty highly in the coral wars. Which pavona?

The bright 'cactus' one.

TWyEdcEl.jpg

I feel like Cyphastrea probably does well against non-aggressive or encrusting corals, but it doesn't have the crazy sweepers that the pavona does. Not sure it stood a chance :unsure:

Anyway. It's like a 2mm corner, and it's already healing up, so the prognosis is looking good :) Restor probably helped.

I think if I eventually manage to completely clean corals off the bottom of the tank, I may introduce a sandbed (and critters, of course). GLR live sand? Hmm... Not trying to get any spearer mantis shrimp, though.

Cool, so.

I need to get an automatic feeder to drop pellets into this tank two or three times a day, maybe.

Nitrates are 0, phosphates 0.08ppm according to Hanna, and.. yeah. Whoops.

But hooray for going back to lower phosphate! In.. a week! :unsure: It was the marine pure, I swear.

Fed everyone Omega One pellets, Reef roids, coral frenzy, reef chili, and nutricell. We'll see. Pictures when I'm feeling less lazy?

Actually, nothing is particularly upset about it except the oculina (low PE) and the orange plate (receding to the point where the skeleton is exposed, just like yours, carp).

Marine pure is for nitrates, it won't make any dent in your phosphates whatsoever.

Wouldn't it help bacteria use it, though? Could also just be the macros using both, too..

I'm not too detailed or technical as you know but I believe that the phosphates we can test for is inorganic, so bacteria don't like to play with it. Organic phosphate which the bacteria like is readily removed by skimmers and such.

(I skipped a step - the organic phosphorus is consumed by bacteria which are then skimmed out).

Bacteria which may have multiplied substantially since the addition of Marine Pure are for sure using up phosphates, but it isn't the kind we can test for. So Marine Pure did not lower the Po4 IMO. Unless you were also dosing carbon?

The macros on the other hand - YES!

I'm not too detailed or technical as you know but I believe that the phosphates we can test for is inorganic, so bacteria don't like to play with it. Organic phosphate which the bacteria like is readily removed by skimmers and such.

(I skipped a step - the organic phosphorus is consumed by bacteria which are then skimmed out).

Bacteria which may have multiplied substantially since the addition of Marine Pure are for sure using up phosphates, but it isn't the kind we can test for. So Marine Pure did not lower the Po4 IMO. Unless you were also dosing carbon?

The macros on the other hand - YES!

I didn't dose carbon, but I have been adding a couple of drops of Clean every other day (or every third day, whenever I remember).

Seems like it must be the macros, though! And the corals' symbiotic algae, hopefully :P

Clean is bacteria so you are increasing the bacterial populations which in turn mean they are prolly using up errythang! omgomgomg

Also Brightwell plates and bricks are now available on marine depot.

Clean is bacteria so you are increasing the bacterial populations which in turn mean they are prolly using up errythang! omgomgomg

On the other hand, I'm not skimming said bacteria out..

Yay!!

Odds that the clam is helping with those 0 nitrates?

Tested last night after that outrageous pellet feeding the night before: phos at .33ppm (ugh - added three pieces of the xport phos, and will be testing again today). Nitrates weren't quite 0, but they weren't even halfway to 2ppm.

Oh yes, clams LOVE nitrates. And actually keep an eye on the clam, you will know that you have used too much CLEAN. When the water is too clean they get into a snit.

I actually do think I've seen that happen :P Then I add some reef snow, and five minutes later all's well in the world again.

Archived