Pod Your Reef

Okay, fine! (Fusion 20)

Mariaface

Don't judge me! I picked it up at petco. I think it's grown a good third of an inch since I got it, too?

PETCO!! :slap: lol hes very cute not gonna lie if i saw one for the right price i would jump on it to :rolleyes:

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PETCO!! :slap: lol hes very cute not gonna lie if i saw one for the right price i would jump on it to :rolleyes:

Well, I'll let him know someone thinks he's cute c:

Also, you would get on the next page after my photo dumps:angry:

Nice photos!!!

Thanks!! I still need to get exposure and white balance right, but hey - at least there are photos.

Yesterday I chucked the stupid filter socks this tank comes with, because I realized I was being an idiot. I had a good thing going with replacing filter floss! So phosphate dropped from .92 to .68 in the past 24 hours, and I suspect it'll keep doing that if I don't overfeed. Jury's out on whether I'll be able to refrain.

So what I was able to test just now:

Salinity: 1.026sg

Temperature: 82F (I need to replace the eheim jager heater with the second cobalt neotherm, and set the new temperature to 78F)

Alk: 155ppm (8.665 dKH according to an online converter)

Cal: 430

Mag: 1400

Phos: 0.68 (Hanna LR Phosphate test, and I actually got all the powder in there this time 8D)

I'm going to not touch a single thing, then test again tomorrow between 7:30pm and 8pm. Dose to correct, test the next day, etc. When I have a nice average idea, I'll set up the dosing pump again.

Time to feed everyone! :wub:

Wait, you're suggesting the filter socks raised the phosphate? Or that you were overfeeding?

Get some Marine Pure in there. You're probably low on aluminum.

Wait, you're suggesting the filter socks raised the phosphate? Or that you were overfeeding?

Get some Marine Pure in there. You're probably low on aluminum.

Overfeeding, big time, and not removing the filter floss that would've trapped leftover food like in the old tank. They also looked like a pain to clean (especially with the big chunks of flimsy plastic that would've fallen apart in a washing machine).

Hmm... Think I can fit a piece of the 1"sheet in those awkward sections of the filtration next to the return pump and it'd help? Or should it go in the second 4" chambers somewhere, where flow is higher?

KoUqI0p.png

Putting it in a higher flow area will house bacteria that digest ammonia and nitrites. Putting it in a lower flow area would be better for removing nitrates. Mine's in the center chamber of my sump, so not too much flow, and I've never been able to detect nitrates with the red sea tests.

Putting it in a higher flow area will house bacteria that digest ammonia and nitrites. Putting it in a lower flow area would be better for removing nitrates. Mine's in the center chamber of my sump, so not too much flow, and I've never been able to detect nitrates with the red sea tests.

bth.gif

Someone harass me into testing my water parameters... :unsure:

Do it, you irresponsible reefer!!! The lives of countless beings hang in the balance! How can you be so lackadaisical?!? Kids these days, I tell you...

(good enough?)

Do it, you irresponsible reefer!!! The lives of countless beings hang in the balance! How can you be so lackadaisical?!? Kids these days, I tell you...

(good enough?)

Okay, fine!

Also thanks

I'm awful.

First off, I think I need new mag/cal test kits. Mag tested at 1480? Calcium still at 440.

Hanna phosphate: .56ppm. The rocks are probably still releasing phosphate from cycling, but phosguard (and bacteria?) seem to slowly be bringing it down.

Hanna alk says 119ppm, so it's down to like 6.65dKH. But somehow, everyone was fluffiest today. I think I may aim for a dKH of 7-8, if that's the case, because wow. I've added 5mL of the b-ionic alk supplement, and will (should) test again tomorrow.

The cyphastrea and pavona are encrusting like it's some kind of race. They're already on the black holders for the frag tree, so... I guess I'll wait for them to take over, tear out the plug and set the coral down in its permanent location, then put an empty plug in that spot so the coral will grow back onto the new one? I dunno. We'll see.

The two purple haze frags are still going! Colorful, great polyp extension, etc etc. I can't tell if they're encrusting, but the larger piece (sorry, carp) has an area that is definitely just flesh and growing tiny polyps. I'll keep an eye on the smaller one and look for progress.

Acans are happy and red, almost orange towards the center. Clam's happy; I always come down to see a healthy flat mantle, no gaping, etc.

Spongodes seems to be starting to encrust over the superglue at its base.

The weird paly with the bright orange center is growing flesh at the bottom as if it'll start to mat - fingers crossed!

The plates are FOOD MONSTERS. And I chopped the food for everyone up this time, but I still gave them enough pieces for them to go meringue-shaped. So pretty.

The RFA ate three pieces, and looks very pleased with itself.

The caps are healing over the edges; looks like they were put on sale before healing from fragging. There are some diatoms on the edges, but the flesh is easily growing over that.

The hammer's looking less pissed off, and is eating its chunks when the clown doesn't steal them - it just takes it a while.

The bivalve on the left side is still at it - open unless something disturbs it, and also not gaping at all.

Trumpet, blastos, favias are all happy.

No coralline on the back wall yet, but going by the old tank that's really just a matter of time.

Halimeda leaves are sort of.. sprouting new tiny leaves off of the old ones. I can't tell if the original leaves are growing or greening up or anything, really.

The hitchhiking stick (oculina) is also super fluffy, polyps extended, eating readily, with the cutest green stripes in each polyp. The polyps even tore apart a couple of the pieces of frozen LRS.

I need to get pictures of the tunicates on the right; they're adorable..

Oh, right! And Batman moved over last night! Now I just need to empty the tank, move the peppermint shrimp over, and repurpose the stand for the freshwater tank. Which will also be moved into the basement, I think.

When I get up to filter water for a water change, I'll start charging the camera. Promise. <3

Camera can should be charging simultaneously.

It will be! And by the time the water's filtered and mixed and the water change is done, pictures can be taken c:

Such awful excuses.

LKc4zZMl.jpg

myUtxzll.jpg

50u5WgUl.jpg

fSvngoel.jpg

Color's back from how browned it was at RAP!

1OiIHJ1l.jpg

Cutie.

75lfTrbl.jpg

Bf4DETil.jpg

How is this green ric so neon?

iwYB282l.jpg

I can't tell if the purple haze frag is growing? Pretty sure my diatoms aren't that maroon color, and polyps wouldn't be appearing along the inner edges, so it might be growth? I dunno. Help.

5P0SJTFl.jpg

These red acans are orange under whiter light

TWyEdcEl.jpg

It's SO PRETTY.

6pENbKnl.jpg

Merp.

FvQ13Ecl.jpg

Cute tunicates! With this wavy brown algae that reflects blue from the top?

rb8uegrl.jpg

Fire&Ice! Carp, I think to the left there are tiny green-orange zoas that we saw at RAP? Green Bay Packers? The skirts are yellow under bluer light, as opposed to this neon yellow-green thing they have going here.

MPbsP0kl.jpg

Can you see where I dropped it in the superglue when putting it on the ceramic? Shhh, don't tell anyone.

xztZQcHl.jpg

I'm gonna call this one Fluffball. The green one in the back was upset that I turned off the flow, but it does the same thing as the orange-aqua one.

kKvTYRkl.jpg

Guess who broke off the neon green edge off the red cap and left it sitting between the zoas? This girl.

Jrvqoswl.jpg

Hitchhiker coral reaching out to the aliens..

FS9Z6hql.jpg

Hitchhiker coral and macro!

Oh, right. The new teeny, dim shrimp tank. No, I will not bother with exposure. :P

7NW5lMel.jpg

M8We17vl.jpg

Where dem pictures be?

pictures! nao!

Ahem. B)

Also, I picked up the flat Marine Pure. Now I just have to decide what sections to cut it into shape for..

Nice pictures! I didn't see any CUC, they would chomp down diatoms. Snails especially ceriths.

I think maybe it's reef cleaners time.. But I have Batman, two banded trochus (actually, not sure one's banded), so many 'nano conch' snails, and a couple of ceriths that came over from the old tank. Once I empty out the 16, I'll take stock of the ceriths/nassarius I have left and pick up a crew.

In fact, maybe I should be doing that this evening. It's high time the nuvo got dismantled and put away.

On the note of reef cleaners: Has anyone ordered zig zags? The two or three times that I've put them in my order, the nassarius snails have devoured them as soon as they're in the tank. Still alive, still moving, and the nassarius just... chased them down. They don't do that to anything else.

Nice pics! I love that alien hitchhiker coral. Actually, the other hitchhiker coral is pretty awesome, too.

Now let's just get rid of some of those frag plugs! ;)

I will, I will! I'm giving them a chance to get settled in, though. Once I see growth take off (the way the pavona is totally taking over the frag tree holder), I'll ruin their lives a little bit.

Also I have to pick spots

Nice pics! I love that alien hitchhiker coral. Actually, the other hitchhiker coral is pretty awesome, too.

Now let's just get rid of some of those frag plugs! ;)

Archived