Latest FTS:

November 2016:

xvqzSMy.jpg

Older:

October 2016:

I1DJ6Pc.jpg

LKc4zZMl.jpg

Original Post:

I'm replacing the Nuvo 16 with this new Fusion 20. But instead of transferring rocks and all, I'll be cycling new rocks from Gulf Live Rock and transferring over corals and snails (and Batman!) once it's settled in. I'm not sure the emerald crab and peppermint shrimp will be coming along. Most likely, the clown will be traded in and I'll have made room for colorful, more active fish. Suggestions, anyone?

The tank! Sitting in my room. With the loudest return pump I've ever heard - jesus, the syncra silent has spoiled me.

chw9lxGl.jpg

(I am definitely using that light just to watch the water moving, Kat! Think it'll be useful during cycling?)

(Also, no one freak out about the water level. Lid's at an angle, perspective is being evil, both pumps are aimed that way.. don't worry.)

Planned Equipment:

- Fusion 20 tank

- Sicce Syncra 1.5 Return Pump

- Tunze Nano ATO

- Jebao RW-4 Circulation Pump

- 2x Current Orbit Marine LED lights, 18" (future upgrade to NB maybe?)

- 2x Cobalt Neotherm 75W Heaters

- IM Floss Holders

- Innovative Marine Desktop Reactor (1tbsp carbon, 1/2tsp phosguard, replaced every 1-2 weeks)

- Jebao DP-4 Dosing Pump (BRS alk, cal, mag)

- Maybe a ghost skimmer? I want to keep equipment hidden.

Can I just take a moment to appreciate this little hammer coral? The one some of you may remember: I split its skeleton in half up through the mouth, and it went from this:

AjyOLd1l.jpg

(note where I smushed epoxy around the skeleton to keep it in place)

To this:

gVIpXcKh.jpg

(yes, those are two different types - the one on the left is from the LC live sale)

Some corals and stuff:

Fh6pzXom.jpg

dLNcbcMl.jpg

Cuydtrel.jpg

DO6fgOAl.jpg

(just cool sponge)

KpecebZl.jpg

GSTnvrGl.jpg

gIdborol.jpg

SU79u3Ul.jpg

(edited to put a better picture here)

lsZ8q7Jl.jpg

(don't judge me! It's coming back from serious alk burn!)

1juoVE8l.jpg

(I'm physically incapable of killing these two)

eMAi2ZAl.jpg

(and of course, Batman)

Really just tracking nonsense?

Like the fact that the maxima was purchased April 17th, and as of the end of July is 3.5 months old in my care?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
holy carp

Yay! This will be exceiting. And that's a sweet hammer. You ready to frag it? ;)

Let's see how those orbit marines stack up in parallel.

And how about a little flame angel?

Cencalfishguy56

Nag me for updates, please. :blush:

I'm replacing the Nuvo 16 with this new Fusion 20. But instead of transferring rocks and all, I'll be cycling new rocks from Gulf Live Rock and transferring over corals and snails (and Batman!) once it's settled in. I'm not sure the emerald crab and peppermint shrimp will be coming along. Most likely, the clown will be traded in and I'll have made room for colorful, more active fish. Suggestions, anyone?

The tank! Sitting in my room. With the loudest return pump I've ever heard - jesus, the syncra silent has spoiled me.

chw9lxGl.jpg

(I am definitely using that light just to watch the water moving, Kat! Think it'll be useful during cycling?)

(Also, no one freak out about the water level. Lid's at an angle, perspective is being evil, both pumps are aimed that way.. don't worry.)

Planned Equipment:

- Fusion 20 tank

- Sicce Syncra 1.5 Return Pump

- Tunze Nano ATO

- Jebao RW-4 Circulation Pump

- 2x Current Orbit Marine LED lights, 18" (future upgrade to NB maybe?)

- 2x Cobalt Neotherm 75W Heaters

- IM Floss Holders

- Innovative Marine Desktop Reactor (1tbsp carbon, 1/2tsp phosguard, replaced every 1-2 weeks)

- Jebao DP-4 Dosing Pump (BRS alk, cal, mag)

- Maybe a ghost skimmer? I want to keep equipment hidden.

Can I just take a moment to appreciate this little hammer coral? The one some of you may remember: I split its skeleton in half up through the mouth, and it went from this:

AjyOLd1l.jpg

(note where I smushed epoxy around the skeleton to keep it in place)

To this:

gVIpXcKh.jpg

(yes, those are two different types - the one on the left is from the LC live sale)

Some corals and stuff:

Fh6pzXom.jpg

dLNcbcMl.jpg

Cuydtrel.jpg

DO6fgOAl.jpg

(just cool sponge)

KpecebZl.jpg

GSTnvrGl.jpg

gIdborol.jpg

SU79u3Ul.jpg

(edited to put a better picture here)

lsZ8q7Jl.jpg

(don't judge me! It's coming back from serious alk burn!)

1juoVE8l.jpg

(I'm physically incapable of killing these two)

eMAi2ZAl.jpg

(and of course, Batman)

ill take a piece of that hammer please and thankyou
Mariaface

Yay! This will be exceiting. And that's a sweet hammer. You ready to frag it? ;)

Let's see how those orbit marines stack up in parallel.

And how about a little flame angel?

ill take a piece of that hammer please and thankyou

That would be the first time I fragged something. :wacko: We'll see how fraggable it looks when I've removed it from the rock to transfer into the 20. I'm totally keeping the original hydra area though - cut down one head, it grew into two! :P

Carp: We'll see! And I'm not sure on the dwarf angel - they still seem to need a lot of space. I'm wondering if I should aim for gobies/blennies...

Rocks ordered!

They'll be going into that white rubbermaid container you can see in the tank shot.

Can't wait omgomgomg

Cencalfishguy56

Rocks ordered!

They'll be going into that white rubbermaid container you can see in the tank shot.

Can't wait omgomgomg

where did you get them from??? :)

where did you get them from??? :)

Gulf Live Rock! Awesome, life-filled, uncured rock shipped overnight once Dan collects it.

I'm probably gonna get a mantis shrimp and I am okay with this.

Cencalfishguy56

Gulf Live Rock! Awesome, life-filled, uncured rock shipped overnight once Dan collects it.

I'm probably gonna get a mantis shrimp and I am okay with this.

yea ive seen their rock! really love how natural it is, Id love to dedicate a macro tank using gulf live rock, I've just had bad luck with live rock and pests in a reef tank so I have been using dry rock recently which has worked out very well

just remember to put on your boxing gloves when you see the mantis ;)

Nano sapiens

I'm wondering if I should aim for gobies/blennies...

Good choices, just that some Blennies are overly 'nippy', so there's that. Small peaceful wrasse and some cool reef safe shrimp/crabs, maybe?

yea ive seen their rock! really love how natural it is, Id love to dedicate a macro tank using gulf live rock, I've just had bad luck with live rock and pests in a reef tank so I have been using dry rock recently which has worked out very well

just remember to put on your boxing gloves when you see the mantis ;)

Nice! I'm a big enough fan of the diversity in these rocks to just go for it. I haven't had anything too bad show up (mantis that kept to itself until I moved and never saw it again, harmless flatworms/amphipods that my clown devoured, etc). The hydroids I have in the 16 came in on frags, which is extra fun because I always dip..

Cencalfishguy56

Nice! I'm a big enough fan of the diversity in these rocks to just go for it. I haven't had anything too bad show up (mantis that kept to itself until I moved and never saw it again, harmless flatworms/amphipods that my clown devoured, etc). The hydroids I have in the 16 came in on frags, which is extra fun because I always dip..

I feel it, I've never seen a clown devour amphipods granted I used to have some massive ones lol they would run around all night

Good choices, just that some Blennies are overly 'nippy', so there's that. Small peaceful wrasse and some cool reef safe shrimp/crabs, maybe?

Yes! I was leaning towards the goby side over blennies because of that, and I need to do more research into my options for more active, decently peaceful fish/inverts.

I can see myself keeping the peppermints/emerald around just long enough for them to clear aiptasia and pest algae, since that's why they're in the 16 and they've done a great job of it.

You do not want the Ghost Skimmer, I have one and not so good

I think someone modded a PLS-50 Elite's bracket to fit in the back of a Nuvo 16. I'll have to find that thread. I'm sure we have a Dremel somewhere...

I feel it, I've never seen a clown devour amphipods granted I used to have some massive ones lol they would run around all night

Mine were pretty huge! I think what happened was that the larger (older) ones died out, and the room lights were on long enough before/after the tank lights that the clown saw the smaller ones.

Cencalfishguy56

Yes! I was leaning towards the goby side over blennies because of that, and I need to do more research into my options for more active, decently peaceful fish/inverts.

I can see myself keeping the peppermints/emerald around just long enough for them to clear aiptasia and pest algae, since that's why they're in the 16 and they've done a great job of it.

I think someone modded a PLS-50 Elite's bracket to fit in the back of a Nuvo 16. I'll have to find that thread. I'm sure we have a Dremel somewhere...

Mine were pretty huge! I think what happened was that the larger (older) ones died out, and the room lights were on long enough before/after the tank lights that the clown saw the smaller ones.

lol taking out the younger generations, poor little guys, who am i kidding?? I suspected they were eating my zoas in my old tank :furious: I should have got a sixline lol

Nano sapiens

Blennies :rolleyes:. My Two Spot Maculatus Blenny is about as small as they get (~2"), but he/she's fiesty (tries to take a nip on my hand if I get too close). Hasn't bothered any corals, though, which is great.

As far as inverts, any of the Anemone Shrimps are captivating and can do well in a peaceful setting (any other aggressive/boisterous inverts like Mithrax and Peppermint would need to be removed first, though).

I'll have to come back when I'm not at work... Your pics are blocked!

Imgur will do that... :P

I'll have to come back when I'm not at work... Your pics are blocked!

So annoying!!! My work blocks photobucket.

So annoying!!! My work blocks photobucket.

Most of them are blocked somewhere. Imgur just gives me the least hassle, I suppose?

Rocks are cooking! I'll take photos when they don't look quite so.. dusty? There's been lots of basting. And once pictures are up, you guys can help me identify the three or four types of corals I can see already. :D And the sponges!

There's a tiny green mantis shrimp that I didn't get a photo of, as expected. It's crawling all over the (inside of the) rocks making itself at home. From what I can tell (light green body, peripheral red/orange streaks on limbs, light meral spots, tiny, found in porous rock from Florida), it might be N wennerae. Anyone want a mantis shrimp? I don't think I want this guy and Batman in the same tank. If I can convince him to come out, I'll get photos.

There was a tiny urchin! I proceeded to put it in the Nuvo 16 and lose it.

HPCyz3ll.jpg

There was also a tiny trochus snail, who's already eating in the Nuvo 16. I didn't bother taking a picture of it, since it's pretty simple. But when I went to look at the nuvo, I found this. For half an hour.

fLxmJbKl.jpg

Other things of note (and these are still in the cycling tank):

-Bivalves. Oh my god, they're huge. Anyone want to pick up two nearly fist-sized, unattached bivalves? One's even got promising-looking coral skeletons on it; I'll get photos. And there are more bivalves on the rocks.

-Teeny brittle star! It was on one of the napkins, so I picked it up and put it in the cycling container.

-Small (by which I mean juvenile-seeming, because this looks like it'll grow and the center disc was an inch) brittle star, purple.

-Two small cucumbers (one light, one dark, neither of which I recognize).

Rocks' water was so cloudy this morning. ;~; Water change as soon as I'm home! The ammonia badge tells me ammonia hasn't risen from a steady '0.05ppm', so it's probably the bacterial population going nuts.

Jai Sakura

You do not want the Ghost Skimmer, I have one and not so good

I agree. The ghost skimmer is loud. I have done a ton of modding on it and it doesn't seem to improve. Also it fits in very snug, this means if you run a larger pump for faster turn over, the water will cause a consistent water splashing down sound depending on how high you have your water in the final chamber. I tend to keep this final-center chamber slightly lower in case the ATO drains itself, the extra space will prevent the tank from flooding over.

For its price, its not worth it. Looks very sleek and hides well but its loud and has a sub-par level of performance. When I was looking for skimmers for my Nuvo 20, there weren't that many available, so I bought the ghost skimmer.

I agree. The ghost skimmer is loud. I have done a ton of modding on it and it doesn't seem to improve. Also it fits in very snug, this means if you run a larger pump for faster turn over, the water will cause a consistent water splashing down sound depending on how high you have your water in the final chamber. I tend to keep this final-center chamber slightly lower in case the ATO drains itself, the extra space will prevent the tank from flooding over.

For its price, its not worth it. Looks very sleek and hides well but its loud and has a sub-par level of performance. When I was looking for skimmers for my Nuvo 20, there weren't that many available, so I bought the ghost skimmer.

Thanks! Who knows - maybe I'll just stay skimmerless and run purigen..

The joys of a cycle

Right?! :P Lucky for me, I leak tested the tank and then filled it with saltwater - I can just empty it for a couple of water changes in the rubbermaid :)

Archived