Top Shelf Aquatics

Okay, fine! (Fusion 20)

Mariaface

The things I do for corals.

Just spent 30-45 minutes nauseous and dizzy because I am AWFUL AT PRACTICING PALY SAFETY. Pretty sure at least three or four of these corals are actually palys.

But I'm better now! Time to start messing with some photos.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The things I do for corals.

Just spent 30-45 minutes nauseous and dizzy because I am AWFUL AT PRACTICING PALY SAFETY. Pretty sure at least three or four of these corals are actually palys.

But I'm better now! Time to start messing with some photos.

Don't lick your fingers after playing with them ;)

Tank is looking good. Almost time to go bigger..........

Wow, your coralline is really going crazy! :) Unfortunately, that valonia looks pretty established, too... :(

Nice coral purchases, but didn't I give you a rainbow monti?

Wow, your coralline is really going crazy! :) Unfortunately, that valonia looks pretty established, too... :(

Nice coral purchases, but didn't I give you a rainbow monti?

That valonia is a jerk, and I think I've just always been really good at growing it too :P Believe it or not, growth is stalling and they're starting to recede!

It's sitting on my frag rack! Recovering from that time I put it directly under the lights halfway up the tank and it bleached >>' Listen, I have a coral buying problem, please stop judging me!

Don't lick your fingers after playing with them ;)

Tank is looking good. Almost time to go bigger..........

Eyyyy.

Tank is looking crowded as hell, isn't it? I need to take a weekend to just move corals around and figure out where I actually want them to go...

Oh look, you can differentiate the purple from the blue!

xgocZW9l.jpg

Yes, the utter chaos opened up, and no, I didn't get a photo before lights out :P

ZmwCBms.jpg

Turns out there was a halfway shot?

4jStKqT.jpg

Tank: lit.

Algae: growing.

Clam: out.

I am forcibly removed from the nano-reef forums

LYe72yh.jpg

Have I mentioned I can't wait for that scraper to get here tomorrow? Why did I throw out my old one?!

And this little dude was horribly unamused by the idea of neighbors.

OEuI7eB.jpg

And the frag tree needs cleaning, please don't judge me..

cm9p2tS.jpg

Holy carp's frag I nearly killed, the Snow Princess polyp, the trumpets being snippy with me...

zXKetZU.jpg

Psst. Look up.

It's hard to say without photos, but it's possible. That one was a rainbow monti, and (at least for me) always had a purple skin. As long as you have polyps out, I think you're OK.

Just noticed the red acans are trying to sneak some green and orange in there, but this is a plate photo :P
k0e6caC.jpg

So amazon delayed my bayer shipment yesterday (I had to use the RPS stuff, which luckily has bayer in it), and UPS delayed my MD shipment with my secret santa's goodies in it >:c Bayer gets here today, scraper gets here tomorrow.

Is brown a color in the rainbow? :o At least it looks like it's gonna pull through. I finally glued my rainbow Monti onto a rock, and within a month all the polyps turned green. Still looks nice, but it ain't no rainbow... Hopefully the colors will return, because I already have a lot of green in my tank.

Speaking of green, that plate coral looks awesome!

Is brown a color in the rainbow? :o At least it looks like it's gonna pull through. I finally glued my rainbow Monti onto a rock, and within a month all the polyps turned green. Still looks nice, but it ain't no rainbow... Hopefully the colors will return, because I already have a lot of green in my tank.

Speaking of green, that plate coral looks awesome!

It is :tears: But yeah, I have faith. I'll pick up feeding it a bit more.

Doesn't it?! It's so happy :P And there's a tiny bit of flow that runs underneath the rock to its left, which helps with the slight whirlpool effect that keeps it from snagging on its own skeleton.

Secret santa's stuff (and my scraper and test kit refills and DI resin) are out for delivery delivered, but of course I have to stay late for network maintenance today. :rant:

Crossing my fingers that this doesn't end up like the last time they said '7-9pm', where the whole team worked 34 hours straight.

~Grabby hands~

I'll try and grow them for you :P The cyphastrea's growing back towards the new frag plug I put in place of the old one (that's on the wall), so maybe these will do the same!

Looks like MD is eventually getting my money for that skimmer after all :P Fish Tanks Direct is also out of stock, and won't be getting more for a few weeks. Just got off the phone with them, and they've refunded it.

I should clarify: I got the Reef Octopus NS-80.

But then an amazing nano-reefer posted an already-modded PLS-50 in the forums :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

I got the PLS-50 installed last night, plus cleaned the reactor and replaced the carbon, plus pulled out a bunch of algae, and fed everyone? So.. That counts as tank maintenance, right?

I'm so bad at this. But hey, nothing's died or even declined, so there's that!

EDIT: :tears: I came back last night to micro bubbles still in the tank, and some corals having receded maybe 1 or 2 mm. Turned the skimmer off for now, since it's probably just the tank being too clean with ROX just having been replaced? And fed a little extra for now. I'll keep the skimmer in the tank for biofilm and try again once things have healed up :)

I got the PLS-50 installed last night, plus cleaned the reactor and replaced the carbon, plus pulled out a bunch of algae, and fed everyone? So.. That counts as tank maintenance, right?

I'm so bad at this. But hey, nothing's died or even declined, so there's that!

EDIT: :tears: I came back last night to micro bubbles still in the tank, and some corals having receded maybe 1 or 2 mm. Turned the skimmer off for now, since it's probably just the tank being too clean with ROX just having been replaced? And fed a little extra for now. I'll keep the skimmer in the tank for biofilm and try again once things have healed up :)

My corals always receded a little bit when I had microbubbles from my old desktop ghost skimmer. Hopefully it was just the bubbles irritating them.

My corals always receded a little bit when I had microbubbles from my old desktop ghost skimmer. Hopefully it was just the bubbles irritating them.

I really do think that was it - and that maybe the skimmer will behave once it grows a nice biofilm! :P

So apparently this started some kind of chain reaction and my carbon and small water change and feeding and bacterial supplementing wasn't enough?

Because it's bad in there right now. So bad. How did I manage to get a happy RFA to melt?!

Time for an emergency couple of water changes and grieving the lost ones. :(

Thanks, 2016

EDIT: On the other hand, the protein skimmer is actually making foam now..

So apparently this started some kind of chain reaction and my carbon and small water change and feeding and bacterial supplementing wasn't enough?

Because it's bad in there right now. So bad. How did I manage to get a happy RFA to melt?!

Time for an emergency couple of water changes and grieving the lost ones. :(

Thanks, 2016

EDIT: On the other hand, the protein skimmer is actually making foam now..

Well, crap. Sounds like what I've been going through in my 10g tank. All the proper tank husbandry and it just kept getting worse and worse. I hope you have better luck than I have!

Archived