ReefCleaners.org

Chaeto keeps dying

Thebearded_1

Thebearded_1

First time poster here. I am having a problem currently keeping my chaeto alive. After about a week, it starts to thin and turn clear. Here are some specs on my tank:

Size: custom 12x12x15 built by me. 9-10 gallons?!

Sand: Aragalive (10 pounds)

Live rock: (11 pounds)

Lighting: Maxspect Razor Nano

Filtration: Modded AC70 for fuge

Water movement: Small Korlia

Dosing: Reef part A and Reef part B (Brightwell Aquatics) Microbactor 7 (Brightwell Aquatics)

Water changes: (2 gallons every other week)

Livestock: None... My diamond goby decided to become terrestrial.

Feeding: Was feeding every other day with Mysis and spectrum

Any clue how to get my chaeto to live? My problem is now that it has died of, my algae growth has picked up.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I have the same issue with chaeto - my red macros do great, all but a golfball of chaeto died, in a heavily fed, high nutrient tank. Go figure.

Do you have enough light and movement on it?

Chaeto does best when it can tumble around rather than staying in the same position.

Clown, maybe that was my problem... I had a huge chunk scrunched in. Now that there is just a golfball size ball left it is dark green. Worth a try with more room, Bearded1 !

Thebearded_1

Yeah, maybe that's the problem. My chaeto stay stationary and doesn't tumble at all. Any other recommendations to help with filtration in the ac70? I have a 12 watt led fixture on it.

gulfsurfer101

Bunch of BS! My cheato dies this way all the time. I tumble it and it still falls apart. I've had much better results with caulerpa. I started with only a strands in a ball of cheato. The cheato melted and the caulerpa is now basketball sized and needs to be pruned regularly or it will not get lit properly.

Bunch of BS! My cheato dies this way all the time. I tumble it and it still falls apart. I've had much better results with caulerpa. I started with only a strands in a ball of cheato. The cheato melted and the caulerpa is now basketball sized and needs to be pruned regularly or it will not get lit properly.

What kind of caulerpa?

gulfsurfer101

Grape or racemosa! I wouldn't recomend running it in an aquaclear. I would recommend lighting it 24/7 though!

Grape or racemosa! I wouldn't recomend running it in an aquaclear. I would recommend lighting it 24/7 though!

Looking for fast growing macro for the sump of my 75 ... have some red macro and xenia in there now but it is huge.

Cencalfishguy56

Looking for fast growing macro for the sump of my 75 ... have some red macro and xenia in there now but it is huge.

caulerpa prolifera is super fast grower for me, I started with a few strands and now it's growing pretty quick to about a baseball size, also have some red macroalgae that I thought would die out but it's growing nicely

I had some mail order chaeto. It died. I changed two things. First I added a little flow in my sump where the chaeto is. . .just a little. The second thing I did was buy chaeto locally. Don't know which of the two did the trick, but it grows like a weed on 12hr light duty cycle.

P.S. My chaeto doesn't tumble.

ReefWeeds

First time poster here. I am having a problem currently keeping my chaeto alive. After about a week, it starts to thin and turn clear. Here are some specs on my tank:

Size: custom 12x12x15 built by me. 9-10 gallons?!

Sand: Aragalive (10 pounds)

Live rock: (11 pounds)

Lighting: Maxspect Razor Nano

Filtration: Modded AC70 for fuge

Water movement: Small Korlia

Dosing: Reef part A and Reef part B (Brightwell Aquatics) Microbactor 7 (Brightwell Aquatics)

Water changes: (2 gallons every other week)

Livestock: None... My diamond goby decided to become terrestrial.

Feeding: Was feeding every other day with Mysis and spectrum

Any clue how to get my chaeto to live? My problem is now that it has died of, my algae growth has picked up.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

What are your nitrates and phosphates? If you don't have any livestock, are you still feeding? In my experience chaeto will disintegrate without enough nutrients. Mine doesn't tumble and there's little flow in my sump but it goes nuts

Thebearded_1

Tested my water today

Shows no phosphates

No nitrates

No nitrites

Very little to no ammonia

Kh and calcium show great.

I was still feeding until 2 days ago when my goby committed suicide. I was feeding frozen and there should have been maybe too much feeding I would have thought. I just have a small LED light over the aqua clear... I'm wondering if the lighting isn't sufficient. I bought some fern macro today. Came on a sizable piece of rock and fills the aqua clear nicely.

Also, I'd like to post pics of the setup to help with questions but I am a newb and can't figure out how to on this mobile version

Thebearded_1

Without any nitrates or phosphates there's nothing for your macros to use.

I'm supplementing the microbacter every day still. I just got another diamond goby today though so I'm feeding again. Any suggestions on how to supplement more bacteria?!

gulfsurfer101

It's not bacteria but rather the waste that fuels algae growth! Keep your fishes full of sh!t and it should do it!

ReefWeeds

It's not bacteria but rather the waste that fuels algae growth! Keep your fishes full of sh!t and it should do it!

Bingo! You have such a way with words :P

gulfsurfer101

Bingo! You have such a way with words :P

I do provide quite the satisfactory standard through my cunning linguist tastical ways!

I do provide quite the satisfactory standard through my cunning linguist tastical ways!

:slap:

I've never been able to keep chaeto either. Caulerpa serrulata's in my fuge now and I absolutely love it.

gulfsurfer101

Use a hosting site like imgur or photobucket. I've never figured out how to use the auto loader after NR updated it's format a few years ago so I do it all old school.

I couldn't keep chaeto. I did everything suggested.

I had it tumbling, in good flow, good lighting...it just fell apart. Wasn't worth the mess!

Cencalfishguy56

I couldn't keep chaeto. I did everything suggested.

I had it tumbling, in good flow, good lighting...it just fell apart. Wasn't worth the mess!

i couldn't initially keep chaeto alive so I stopped buying it but in my last macro order I had 2 strands and they have grown pretty long
Alexraptor

I've been having chaeto woes myself lately, can't figure it out either.

In my case I have a refugium filled with nasty gunk and some hair algae on the main tank that I try to remove, all signs indicating excess nutrients, yet my chaeto just wants to float up to the top of the fuge and become a pale pancake instead of all the nice bushy deep green growth I used to have. =/

Archived