inTank Media Baskets

What Corals have done the best in your tanks.

KnH

What corals have done the best in your tanks,

We all have had corals struggle and those who just thrive in our tanks.

Let me hear about the ones that hove done the best for you

Thanks

+1 above ! But I love LPS - euphyllias, acans, even NPS sun corals do great for me (now I have just jinxed them all).

Every tank has been different but I usually have a few that do great no matter what. Heliopora is one, and bubble corals another (not even other euphyllias). My 30g acans are doing fantastic, as well as some nicer zoas. Still failing with sps tho :(

gulfsurfer101

Maricultured sps seem to have a poor track record. Don't be discouraged. Look for aquacultured sps, it's much more forgiving!

Cencalfishguy56

Frogspawn and hammers! I can never keep torches alive for the life of me and I have no clue why lol

LPS. Acans and euphyllia have survived everything in my tank. The same can not be said for pipe organs, zoanthids ( :( ), and acropora. Also birdsnest is very hardy and is by far the fastest grower in my tank.

mystersyster

GH algae grows great. Also had great success with cyano (grows like an alien weed), brown film, hydroids, and bryopsis. I've been pretty lucky to grow all types of life!

reefernanoman

My orange monti cap. It has grown from 1.5inch to over 8+ inches in 1.5 years. It's huuuuuuuge!:

Before:

IMG_1862.jpg

After:

IMG_3777.jpg

Blastos. When everything in my 150 was melting down my Blastos did great. Even my red cap nearly died.

Acropora lokani. I have no idea why, but also did fine.

4dYOlEG.jpg

picoreef78

Any monitipora, Red planet, Pink lemonade, mushrooms (to the point they took over the tank and I had to chisel them off and traded in 200 + polyps).

pa1ntbru5h

My Hammer coral seems to be really resilient.
I haven't been able to successfully keep montiporas even though I have acros that are doing well.

This is a pretty ambiguous thread KnH as there are so many success stories for different reasons and conditions but will put in my .02 cents worth of experience.

I have a 9 gallon SPS dominant tank (originally a 2.5) that I dose regularly and have had great success (in order) with digitatas, caps, pavonas, and seriatoporas. Polyps, shrooms and zoas have also been multiplying insanely in less than a year the tank has been running.

26628974880_cb896ad17b_h.jpg

Archived