SaltCritters.com

Clam Growth

bob115

So I got a clam a month and half ago or so, and right now I don't see much new growth on the shell. Being that I have DIY LEDs that haven't been tested for par (hoping to borrow a meter in the next month or so), is it a reasonable assumption that its not getting enough light?

Other params

Salinity 1.024

Alk 8.6

Calcium 450

Mg 1180

Mariaface

I may have purchased a maxima clam, three weeks ago, that's already put on 1-2mm of shell growth. It doesn't look like much, but this type of clam should only grow 1-1.5in in a year, slowing down as it gets bigger. Fingers crossed, I don't screw this up.

..Plus, I'm feeding it so much stuff. Reef snow, bacteria, phytoplankton, zooplankton, live nanno, selcon, Restor, and then the rest of the aquarium's food. I need to test phosphate/nitrate, but alk's at 9.5, calcium at 440, magnesium at 1360.

Its mantle isn't stretched out or pulled in; it's sitting flat and taking in light comfortably until the clown swims directly above it and it retracts for a second.

JavaJacketOC

Check out the FAQ on clams in this forum, lots of good info. As previous posts said growth can vary and with smaller (under 2-2.5") clams are usually very reliant on filter feeding in addition to good light.

Have you tested your alkalinity and calcium? Clams use a lot of both in order to produce new shell, so they can stop growing when alk and Ca are too low.

JavaJacketOC

Have you tested your alkalinity and calcium? Clams use a lot of both in order to produce new shell, so they can stop growing when alk and Ca are too low.

He's got it in his 1st post Doctor :happy:

He's got it in his 1st post Doctor :happy:

This is what I get for skimming posts haha! I'm in the salon sitting under a hair dryer at the moment skimming NR on my phone. :)
JavaJacketOC

This is what I get for skimming posts haha! I'm in the salon sitting under a hair dryer at the moment skimming NR on my phone. :)

Getting color done? If so, give details! (Licensed Cosmetologist :D )

Getting color done? If so, give details! (Licensed Cosmetologist :D )

Yep! I was red for the last couple years, but I switched it back to brown a few months back. Just touching up the roots and doing some lowlights. Thats awesome that you're a cosmetologist. So do you work in a salon now?
JavaJacketOC

Yep! I was red for the last couple years, but I switched it back to brown a few months back. Just touching up the roots and doing some lowlights. Thats awesome that you're a cosmetologist. So do you work in a salon now?

Low-lights for summer? Highlights Doctor, highlights!

I'm not in the salon anymore, when the real estate market tanked it was difficult to maintain so I went back to banking. I'm in project management now for mortgages :)

Doing hair was always fun, I miss it sometimes.

Low-lights for summer? Highlights Doctor, highlights!

I'm not in the salon anymore, when the real estate market tanked it was difficult to maintain so I went back to banking. I'm in project management now for mortgages :)

Doing hair was always fun, I miss it sometimes.

My hairstylist suggested the lowlights because since I just died it darker from red to brown, she's been able to leave out some strips so that I have auburn highlights mixed in with the dark brown, without her having to use bleach. Maybe lowlights are the wrong term? They're lighter auburn "highlights" but without using bleach. Hopefully that makes sense :)

Yeah banking sounds like an easier way to make a living but I imagine doing hair would be fun. I have a PhD in engineering though and I still think doing hair seems incredibly hard. I definitely have lots of respect for good stylists. I tried doing my color at home from a box for a long time and I ended up with a color changing streaky mess. Now I just stick to the salon!

JavaJacketOC

My hairstylist suggested the lowlights because since I just died it darker from red to brown, she's been able to leave out some strips so that I have auburn highlights mixed in with the dark brown, without her having to use bleach. Maybe lowlights are the wrong term? They're lighter auburn "highlights" but without using bleach. Hopefully that makes sense :)

Yeah banking sounds like an easier way to make a living but I imagine doing hair would be fun. I have a PhD in engineering though and I still think doing hair seems incredibly hard. I definitely have lots of respect for good stylists. I tried doing my color at home from a box for a long time and I ended up with a color changing streaky mess. Now I just stick to the salon!

Lowlights is the right term if you're going darker than the base color. They're good in your case because you're trying to transition to a new color, lowlighting is a little less drastic and you get the fun color and dimension from the red you use to have. Hair is very technical but there is a lot of instinct involved too, sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling vs. what your brain is telling you "should" happen, that was pat of the fun...not knowing exactly what the outcome would be.

IronChefItaly

From the time you purchased your clam if the mantle becomes more brown you may need more light. If it stays very bright and fluorescent then you're likely ok. Maxima clams can be acclimated to thrive under lighting that would kill most other corals. Alkalinity and calcium are easy. Last thing to watch for is instability of anything really. Temperature, salinity and ammonia are some of the more common killers.

Yeah when I got it from Fosters and Smith they had it under some pretty crazy lights so I just stuck it as high up as I could get it. So far the mantle remains fluorescent blue/green.

IronChefItaly

Yeah when I got it from Fosters and Smith they had it under some pretty crazy lights so I just stuck it as high up as I could get it. So far the mantle remains fluorescent blue/green.

Sounds like its fine. Just focus on keeping stable parameters and it should catch.

Archived