Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RODI Question

ClownfishReefer

ClownfishReefer

Hi, i have been using my RO/DI unit for 5 months, i make five gallons every two weeks and now its reading 50 TDS!!

1) is it safe to put in a reef tank? (SPS)

2) Would flushing it help?

3) if i have to change some parts of it, what would i change?

thank you

ClownfishReefer

im not sure, ill check it out... but is 50 tds too high for a reef tank? if so, what should i change?

That seems like its gone pretty quickly. What's your tap tds?

ClownfishReefer

What rodi do you have?

no brand name on it, i bought it at the lfs this past January... do you think i have to make a change to the membrane ??

ClownfishReefer

if you can flush try flushing first. if anything you might need new carbon and DI

thanks! ill go buy a flush kit tomorrow.

Water Dog

If you have a handheld TDS meter, see what TDS you're reading directly after your RO membrane, then see what you're reading after the DI cartridge. That way you can isolate what the issue may be... shot RO membrane or exhausted DI cartidge. I'm thinking it's the latter since your RO membrane should definitely last longer than 6 months. Either way, after 6 months of use I'd look to change the sediment and carbon block prefilters.

AZDesertRat

Is it RO or RO/DI? What are the tap water TDS, RO only TDS before the DI and final RO/DI TDS readings? What is your water pressure and water temperature? You have not tried to warm the water have you? Very important, what is your exact measured waste ratio? Is your water softened or soft or is it hard? What are you measuring the TDS with and how are you doing so?

Archived