Coral Vue Hydros

Enough Live Rock? Want to finalize before fish.

AndrogClown

AndrogClown

I'm relying mainly on live rock and live sand to be my biologic filtration. While picking out the rock I thought it would fill up the tank nicely, but it only came in around 8 pounds. However, it's porous with a large amount of surface area. Is this enough or should I add more? I'll be adding 2 small clowns and soft coral in the future. I want to figure it out before adding fish to keep them from getting stressed out by relandscaping.

I also like the minimalist design I have so far, and would love to not add a powerhead. the AC70 pumps 300 mph and the outflow is submerged to provide good current that spins around the tank. However I want enough flow to support the corals (mainly soft flowy) and I want the clowns to feel like they can wear themselves out if they want. Don't worry I'll add a pre filter to prevent fish getting sucked in.

Specs:

15 gallon Aqueon column tank.

AC70 with foam, charcoal and chaeto.

Wanted to get a group opinion to finalize the landscape before shopping for some baby clowns.

Front View:

post-91338-0-46073700-1462420886_thumb.jpg

Side View:

post-91338-0-33793900-1462420872_thumb.jpg

Hello, tank looks good!

The general rule for LR is 1-2 lbs per gallon. So around 14-15lbs is needed for optimal filteration.

Its best to add the rock while the tank is cycling because in future adding uncured LR could disturb the balance in the tank.

Are you testing while the tank is cycling?

As for the water movement in the tank, its hard to say if its enough until you have things in there. You want about 30-50x water volume. The best way to test it is feed the tank and watch the flow for dead spots.

Flow also helps with gas exchange.

In my 15g I run a filter and 2 powerheads. I have to say since adding an additional powerhead, my corals are happier and the tank is cleaner.

You will read soft corals don't like higher flow-thats bs. Every tank I have had, the soft corals liked flow, especially leathers.

Clowns are great. They won't have an issue with the flow in the tank.

What lighting are you getting for the tank?

Fyi: you may want to ditch using the sponge and use filter floss instead. I learned the hard way that the filter sponges even washed weekly and replaced monthly-were a nitrate factory.

I also recommend vacuuming the sand with your water changes, especially the black sand. A lot of stuff gets trapped in there and it will help reduce the nitrates and further issues that come with it.

I have the black sand in one tank...its a bitter bigger in granular size than my fiji arragonite, I find the black sand gets more detritus buildup. Just thought I'd give you a heads up:)

Have fun. Tank looks good. I like the minimalist look as well

msparklym13

Yay! Fun new tank- I can tell you I am now looking to add more live rock. I wish I would have done more! Clown79 provided great info and I agree- I would add more! After all - you will want lots of places to put your corals!!

AndrogClown

A mini update. Thank you for your help

Just got an InTank media basket for the AC70 to make it a more organized "fuge" and will definitely use your tip on filterfloss with that Clown79.

I have a little powered gravel vac that I will make sure to use more on the black sand as well Clown79. My two Nassarius snails are good sifters to and keep everything moving.

I kept the live rock set up how it is, it's light but I can't imagine another big ol piece in there. The bio load is small and gradual, two small growing clowns. I think the bacteria will figure it out. And if there's some hiccups in the bio filtration later i'll look into alternatives.

To keep the minimal design going I thought the MP10 would be perfect tucked away on the back wall. It leaves me room to downgrade the AC70 flow as well. I bought an AC30 impeller to calm that down as well as a small surface skimmer box to hide the intake tube.

I want a quiet tank for night so I like the idea of a chill HOB coupled with a "night mode" mp10.

For lighting I have 2 LED strips on the way:

http://www.amazon.com/TrueLumen-12-Inch-Pro-LED-Brackets/dp/B004QE1YAQ

Do they look good? I don't know much about lighting.

Which will be hooked up to a night/day timer opposite of my fuge lights.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Laboratories-SZMLT10-Repti/dp/B007EI1II4

Since the AC70 outer shell is tinted it doesn't allow the ability to shine a fuge light in from the outside, like a nano glow. and I want to keep the lid on which eliminates the possibility of overhead lighting. I was left with few options

So I researched and found "submersible" led strips that are completely waterproof.

http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulbs-Waterproof-Flexible-T93007-1/dp/B005EHHLD8

Planning to feed the strip under the lid and line the inside of the cheato compartment for good all around lighting.

I'll let you know how it works.

All this gear I found on amazon for pretty cheap so it seems like a good hodgepodge system.

I completely cycled the tank with some biospira and ammonia hydroxide I added in.

Raised up Ammonia and it ate it up overnight a few times. When nitrites zeroed out consistently I did a big ass water change and was set for fish.

2 young Ocellaris clowns are in and doing so well. Already have their power relationship set up with no aggression. They explore together and seem really happy.

Added a small CUC of 2 Nassarius snails and 3 Ceriths.

Still no algae bloom but tanks still pretty young. I don't know if it's the chaeto beating it all to the punch or just time.

New to the whole saltwater game but I've really enjoyed researching and seeing the clowns energetic and healthy. Any tips on the set up are greatly appreciated.

The whole 1-2lbs of live rock per gallon stuff is antiquated and should not be used as a measure anymore. Live rock sucks as an efficient medium for housing bacteria. On a tank that small a handful of matrix in your HOB filter will hold more bacteria than your live rock ever will. Use as much or as little live rock as you want your aquascape to look like.

Archived