Top Shelf Aquatics

Top Fin "Natural Sea Water" Advice Good/Bad, ugly?

Astinus

I have seen it in the store but have never used it myself.

I buy RO water and mix my own salt so I have never even looked at the specs of the Topfin water.

I am not a fan of Topfin personally.

I have seen it in the store but have never used it myself.

I buy RO water and mix my own salt so I have never even looked at the specs of the Topfin water.

I am not a fan of Topfin personally.

+1 wtf does topfin know about saltwater....I have worked at petsmart. EVERY TOPFIN ITEM WAS ABSOLUTE SHIT

SantaMonica

Interesting. I wonder what purification they do. NSW has loads of dissolved and particulate food particles in it, which is why it's not a good idea to store it. To be really "purified", they have to somehow get these out, and it's pretty expensive to get dissolved organic food out.

Hard Softy

+1 wtf does topfin know about saltwater....I have worked at petsmart. EVERY TOPFIN ITEM WAS ABSOLUTE SHIT

Ruffled your feathers, you tellem Matteo!

It's just filtered seawater. I'm pretty sure Top Fin doesn't directly collect or filter the water themselves. They probably source it from another company and label it as Top Fin (there are similar products available labeled under various company names). It's likely fine to use (although over priced compared to using a salt mix in RO/DI).

If they are only gone for a week, just top off with distilled water until they get back. Better yet, invest in a RO/DI unit for your home.

I use natural seawater, but it is sourced and filtered locally, daily. I did switch to instant ocean for awhile (purchased from same store), but I feel my tank stays cleaner and my corals seem healthier since I switched back. I was worried about calcium and the micro minerals with the natural water which is why I switched, but I was dosing just as much with the synthetic. It is also cheaper for me to buy natural. If they are only gone for a week, just have an extra 5 gallons handy just in case you need it.

I do have, I believe an extra 5 Gallons, I also have some IO, but I Do not think I have enough to make 5 Gallons.

I was just curious what folks thought of the Product Title.

I Can continue to "Just Top Off" with the RO/DI, as I have 4 gallons left.

I Really appreciate the input so far.

Thank You :)

I do have, I believe an extra 5 Gallons, I also have some IO, but I Do not think I have enough to make 5 Gallons.

I was just curious what folks thought of the Product Title.

I Can continue to "Just Top Off" with the RO/DI, as I have 4 gallons left.

I Really appreciate the input so far.

Thank You :)

you risk diluting your salinity

you can go 1 week without a water change. keep the extra for an emergency

Archived