ReefCleaners.org

Whats the best 1/2in return pump for a 29g tank?

ps2cho

Whats going to work the best for me?

If the sump is only supposed to have 7-10x flow, then that puts me around 200-300gph target right?

Im doing a 1/2in return line to save space, so I need a pump to match this.

Cencalfishguy56

Whats going to work the best for me?

If the sump is only supposed to have 7-10x flow, then that puts me around 200-300gph target right?

Im doing a 1/2in return line to save space, so I need a pump to match this.

i use an eheim 1250 and it has more than enough at 300+ gph on my 20L 1/2" return

jebao dc2000 might be a good choice. I have the 6000 and love it . Its super quiet, has a feed mode, and the soft start is a pretty nice feature too.

Water Dog

In that case, I'd go with the any of the DC controllable pumps like the Jebao DC 2000 or the Waveline DC 2500. If you want to get spendy for German engineering and reliability, then look at the Tunze Silence 1073.050 controllable pump. Either way, I'd go for a DC pump for their lower energy consumption and quiet operation relative to an AC pump.

I think that's above and beyond what this tank needs. Most DC pumps are 700Gph+

I just need 200-300gph here and I'd be wasting money having it turned all the way down for its life.

Water Dog

I'd have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. Max flow for the Jebao DC 2000 is 528 gph,for the Waveline DC 2500, it's 660 gph, the Tunze 1073.050 with the 12v jumper is 211 to 475 gph even higher ranges with the 24v jumper. Factor in head pressure and you're right where you want to be with controllability, energy efficiency, quiet relative to their AC counterparts and the ability to upgrade tanks in the future using these pumps (especially with the Tunze). I used to run a sumped standard 29 with a Mag 7 with no problems, so I know the additional flow can be usable.

Then again at the end if the day, it's your tank, not mine. :D Please do let us know what you end up going with!

Cencalfishguy56

I think that's above and beyond what this tank needs. Most DC pumps are 700Gph+

I just need 200-300gph here and I'd be wasting money having it turned all the way down for its life.

the dc pumps are adjustable the dc2000 starts out at somewhere around 200gph I believe and goes up to 600gph via a controller

Tell us what the head height is. This is probably the most important factor before giving any recommendations. Once you give me that, i'll figure out how to get your your 2-300 gph. You can also use a gate or ball valve on the return line for adjustability.

Cencalfishguy56

I'd have to respectully disagree with your assessment. Max flow for the Jebao DC 2000 is 528 gph,for the Waveline DC 2500, it's 660 gph, the Tunze 1073.5 with the 12v jumper is 211 to 475 gph even higher ranges with the 24v jumper. Factor in head pressure and you're right where you want to be with controllability, energy efficiency, quiet relative to their AC counterparts and the ability to upgrade tanks in the future using these pumps (especially with the Tunze). I used to run a sumped standard 29 with a Mag 7 with no problems, so I know the additional flow can be usable.

Then again at the end if the day, it's your tank, not mine. :D Please do let us know what you end up going with!

your suggestions are spot on I like the footprint on the dc2000 pumps but reliability is what swayed me to eheim

Tell us what the head height is. This is probably the most important factor before giving any recommendations. Once you give me that, i'll figure out how to get your your 2-300 gph. You can also use a gate or ball valve on the return line for adjustability.

if he gets a dc pump head height will be irrelevant since the pump will be overrated for his tank
Water Dog

That's why of the pumps I mentioned, I love the Tunze 1073.050. When I upgrade to a sumped system in the future, that's what I'm gonna get. Tunze / German reliability and it's Apex controllable to boot! :D

Cencalfishguy56

That's why of the pump's I mentioned, I love the Tunze 1073.5. When I upgrade to a sumped system in the future, that's what I'm gonna get. Tunze / German reliability and Apex controllable to boot! :D

damn Germans...

The DC2000 pump seems a really great price actually from Fish-street.

Since this is for a Frag tank/quarantine only, I'm less concerned about long-term reliability. I'll snag that!

Cencalfishguy56

The DC2000 pump seems a really great price actually from Fish-street.

Since this is for a Frag tank/quarantine only, I'm less concerned about long-term reliability. I'll snag that!

yea they are also on eBay, really good pump

Archived