ReefCleaners.org

6.2 Gal Bow front AIO

Ben68W

So I got this 6.2 gal tank from Petco. I am pretty happy with it so far I have just added my CUC and in another week or two I want to start stocking I just cant decide what I want to do first. I have a drip set up for adding DI as needed but am considering an ATO so any suggestions would be great.

Tank:

6 gal Imagitarium

Neo-Therm 50

AI Prime LED

Hydor Korelia Nano 425 (may bee too much and will possibly downgrade to the

240) Not sure if I even need this much flow but I would like to do some SPS

Fish ideas:

Gobi shrimp pair

or firefish

Corals wants:

zoas

frog spawn

Montipora

Ricordea

post-90939-0-33912200-1462337092_thumb.jpg

post-90939-0-56912600-1462337126_thumb.jpg Start of cycle

post-90939-0-83012600-1462338255_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for your help

Here is an update

I removed the hydor and not have two small pumps that combined put out 130 gph. I also redid the rock work a little. I got a coralife 14 protein skimmer. I got a Bicolor Blenny from a friend I know they have the potential to go after clams and LPS. My friend did not have any issues with the Blenny going after his corals so I figured I would give him a shot.

post-90939-0-13380700-1462768205_thumb.jpg

It can be hit or miss with those Blennies. I hear that they can even be fine for awhile, then start picking at coral. I have one too, with no problems to report. I'm not sure if how well they are fed makes a difference or not. Good luck with him. They are neat fish (although I have to tear my tank apart to catch the little bugger). :)

I had a bicolour blenny too. He was awesome, such character and so entertaining.

I also never saw him pick at a coral, he'd pick algae off them but it can also look as though he was picking at the coral but there was never any damage done.

My tank has lots of little caves and hiding places but so far he likes one that is directly in front of the tank and next to a nice algae patch.

I never saw him pick at a coral, he'd pick algae off them but it can also look as though he was picking at the coral but there was never any damage done.

from what i have read so far this seems to be true, they will pick at the algae around corals if there is not a nice patch on the rocks or are not getting it from somewhere else. We shall see how he does.

I am thinking of going to the LFS this weekend and looking at some frags not quite sure what I want to start off with yet.The only thing I know for sure is I would like to have a zoa garden in the lower left part of the tank. I will probably add toad stool leathers and frog spawn elsewhere. I would like a variety of color in the tank with a decent amount of movement.

post-90939-0-78312400-1462819056_thumb.jpg

You lucked out. It picked a rock in the front:)

Zoas are great, they add such an array of colour. Toadstool leathers are good, frogspawn is beautiful-i find it mesmerizing to watch.

So I finally got some corals. I have not glued anything in yet so please ignore the ugly frag plugs. Also the battery on my camera died so I was not able to take as many pics as I would have liked.

Australian Duncan

post-90939-0-89154100-1463127455_thumb.jpg

Hammer Frog Spawn

post-90939-0-55220600-1463127488_thumb.jpg

Orange encrusted (not sure what kind)

post-90939-0-41227100-1463127516_thumb.jpg

Green encrusted (not sure what kind)

post-90939-0-22701600-1463127548_thumb.jpg

I also got a small mixed Zoa frag but I was not able to get a picture yet.

I will get a shot of the tank up later. please let me know if you have any ideas or thoughts for what next. I am thinking a toad stool leather, more zoas, and possibly goniopora next.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that it as been a while since my last post I had some issues with the tank. I had a green BTA that I injured while moving in my tank without realizing it. When Woke up the next morning he was rotting in my tank and my Blenny was in real bad shape. I ended up loosing the Blenny and the BTA but everything is looking good now.

I got two snow flake clowns now and a palm palm crab. I also picked up some Ricordea and another mushroom. Here are some updated pics.

post-90939-0-45536400-1464036975_thumb.jpg

post-90939-0-04998600-1464036979_thumb.jpg

post-90939-0-77149400-1464036998_thumb.jpg

post-90939-0-33967000-1464037024_thumb.jpg

post-90939-0-05349700-1464037203_thumb.jpg

post-90939-0-81107400-1464037495_thumb.jpg

post-90939-0-03938300-1464037556_thumb.jpg

How old is the tank? Its looking good.

Anemone's need stability, very high water quality. Its advised to wait a yr before attempting an anemone, when they die they release toxins in the water. Are you running carbon? Did you test the water after the fish died and bta issues?

I'm sorry for the loss of fish.

Are you testing your nitrates? 2 clowns in a 6g may cause you nutrient issues. You may need to do more than 1 water change a week.

How old is the tank? Its looking good.

Anemone's need stability, very high water quality. Its advised to wait a yr before attempting an anemone, when they die they release toxins in the water. Are you running carbon? Did you test the water after the fish died and bta issues?

I'm sorry for the loss of fish.

Are you testing your nitrates? 2 clowns in a 6g may cause you nutrient issues. You may need to do more than 1 water change a week.

The tank is almost 3 months old. The corals in my tank appear to be very happy.

I am to blame for the problem with the BTA, I am pretty sure I damaged its foot when moving it (I should have just left it where it was). I did test for nitrates when I first noticed an issue with the BTA, perimeters were fine at the time so I left to run some errands. When I got back home I noticed the stomach fully exposed and my Blenny in very poor shape. I did a massive water change and removed the BTA but sadly about two hours after the water change my Blenny was dead.

Prior to this incident I was doing a 1.5 gal water change once a week. Now I do a 1 gallon water change twice a week. I am using Chempure for my carbon and I do have a protein skimmer.

For now I do not plan on adding a BTA any time soon I may add a few more corals to fill in some empty areas in my tank so I am open to suggestions.

Bldgengineer

1.5g a week should be more than enough. Are you testing after you add stock? 2 clowns is a lot for a tank this size. Maybe wait a month to see how your tank stabilizes before you add anything else?

1.5g a week should be more than enough. Are you testing after you add stock? 2 clowns is a lot for a tank this size. Maybe wait a month to see how your tank stabilizes before you add anything else?

Yes I test pretty regularly, I am pretty sure that my Nitrate spikes are the result of my over feeding. The plan for now is to continue 1 gallon water changes twice a week and to reduce feeding until the tank stabilizes.

Bldgengineer

Yes I test pretty regularly, I am pretty sure that my Nitrate spikes are the result of my over feeding. The plan for now is to continue 1 gallon water changes twice a week and to reduce feeding until the tank stabilizes.

Sounds good. Keep us updated. I'm curious as to how it turns out

Archived