ReefCleaners.org

Beating Bryopsis-Started TechM-Done!

Pjanssen

bought a mini file set today and went in and scraped a few areas with what looked like new growth. Nothing in the areas previously treated which is good. Hoping scraping while in the tank doesn't lead to planting elsewhere will change filter floss out in a couple of hours and maybe do a small water change tomorrow.

27147270616_a81e9b9142.jpg6 pc file set by Penny, on Flickr

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brandon429

I'm not sure which would be easier on it... trying it in a Kent tech m dip at the various dilutions people try, or external spot test with peroxide using q tip or creative means to try and spot it on the target... either way it's new ground for that little guy

I'm not sure which would be easier on it... trying it in a Kent tech m dip at the various dilutions people try, or external spot test with peroxide using q tip or creative means to try and spot it on the target... either way it's new ground for that little guy

is the tube actually living? maybe I could just cut that part off. I don't know much about the anatomy of a tube anemone

Me neither I've never seen one in person I drew blank lol tube anemonists chime in

I actually started a separate thread hoping someone with expertise will see it

I DID IT! I cut the top of my tube anemone. the patch of bryopsis that was attached to it was getting bigger and bigger. Something drastic had to be done. Hopefully the anemone will be no worse for the wear. Right now he is retracted deep into the rest of his tube. Will post update when he comes back out.

26679660603_41323edc3b_z.jpgBryopsis on tube anemone by Penny, on Flickr

I DID IT! I cut the top of my tube anemone. the patch of bryopsis that was attached to it was getting bigger and bigger. Something drastic had to be done. Hopefully the anemone will be no worse for the wear. Right now he is retracted deep into the rest of his tube. Will post update when he comes back out.

26679660603_41323edc3b_z.jpgBryopsis on tube anemone by Penny, on Flickr

Nice job!

He'll be just fine.

However, I am still having bryopsis pop up in places that I can't get to without tearing the tank apart. I've begun dosing with my TechM. The plan is to gradually raise my magnesium level well above 1500, possibly to 2000. Currently my magnesium level is at 1290. I dosed 10ml of techM, which is half of what the label recommends for daily dosing to bring level up by 18.3 ppm per day. Will test and dose daily, probably getting more aggressive with amount as I go, being sure to keep a close eye on livestock. Will also check alkalinity and calcium on a daily basis to make sure they stay in balance.

brandon429

in amplifying whatever actions we take, id inject the actual patches/areas for the calculated amounts and try to burn em as you go, at least it helps somewhat. this stuff fragments angrily doesn't it, without fish that literally hunt every strand down we are left terribly busy. nice anem updates above for sure

in amplifying whatever actions we take, id inject the actual patches/areas for the calculated amounts and try to burn em as you go, at least it helps somewhat. this stuff fragments angrily doesn't it, without fish that literally hunt every strand down we are left terribly busy. nice anem updates above for sure

today I just diluted TechM in quart of saltwater. Tomorrow I will see if I can get the syringe to the areas where the bryopsis is growing and directly hit them. I suppose I should turn the powerbeads off for a minute or two to try to keep contact longer

Good luck!!! I'm battling cyano right now. Already used chemiclean once. Have to do it again!!

I had good luck with chemiclean when I had a cyno outbreak.

Day two:

Current params:

Mag. 1320

Cal. 410

Alk. 7.8

Alkalinity dropped just a little. could just be coincidence.

Dosed another 10ml TechM, trying to squirt it directly onto patches of bryopsis. It's pretty thin though so it dissipates quickly even with powerheads off.

I didn't manage to read through everything but figured I would share my findings with the bryopsis crew. When doing some research on the triton method I came across a very interesting read. For those unfamiliar with the triton method here is the very simple dumbed down version. You basically send in your water sample to get an extremely accurate reading on your major parameters along with about a dozen or more trace elements. Then dosing accordingly to correct the issues found.

Again very dumbed down but it will do for my point. A few of the people running this method were dosing tech M to kill bryopsis. While dosing and sending in their results they were getting back readings of elevated mag (obvious due the the tech m) but were also reading high elevations of lithium. They were speculating that lithium might be the secret ingredient in kent tech m. Now by no means is this proven but was an interesting correlation and I would love for a science person to give it a try!

With my battle of bryopsis I dosed my display directly with peroxide. As the above suggest I am not scientific so I was not measuring accurately but after a week of dosing a squirt or two twice a day directly to the tank the bryopsis was gone.

I didn't manage to read through everything but figured I would share my findings with the bryopsis crew. When doing some research on the triton method I came across a very interesting read. For those unfamiliar with the triton method here is the very simple dumbed down version. You basically send in your water sample to get an extremely accurate reading on your major parameters along with about a dozen or more trace elements. Then dosing accordingly to correct the issues found.

Again very dumbed down but it will do for my point. A few of the people running this method were dosing tech M to kill bryopsis. While dosing and sending in their results they were getting back readings of elevated mag (obvious due the the tech m) but were also reading high elevations of lithium. They were speculating that lithium might be the secret ingredient in kent tech m. Now by no means is this proven but was an interesting correlation and I would love for a science person to give it a try!

With my battle of bryopsis I dosed my display directly with peroxide. As the above suggest I am not scientific so I was not measuring accurately but after a week of dosing a squirt or two twice a day directly to the tank the bryopsis was gone.

Great input. Where do you send your water for the testing. Sounds expensive.

I did some spot treatments with peroxide, and it worked. I guess I just debated between dosing the whole tank with peroxide or TechM. I think I chose Tech only because i felt at least magnesium is a naturally occurring and necessary element in a reef, where as peroxide is not.

Great input. Where do you send your water for the testing. Sounds expensive.

I did some spot treatments with peroxide, and it worked. I guess I just debated between dosing the whole tank with peroxide or TechM. I think I chose Tech only because i felt at least magnesium is a naturally occurring and necessary element in a reef, where as peroxide is not.

You buy a sample kit and send it to their lab, it is around $50 i think but when you compare to salt and possibly RODI for water changes and supplements if you are already dosing they are fairly even from what I've read.

One thing I just want to emphasis that you may already be aware of, is the fact that magnesium itself is not what causes the bryopsis to die. This treatment is specific to kent tech M because there is some hidden element that effects the algae. This is where the lithium theory comes from. You are basically raising your mag to a certain level to get a certain amount of the mystery element into your tank.

Archived