Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Do I keep an Asteriniid Star?

devonmessick

devonmessick

I was just about to target feed my corals when I noticed an Asteriniid star. I have been doing some research on them and it seems like some people like them and some don't. I have read where they can eat Zoas? I have a few different Zoa frags in my tank and I really don't want a hitchhiker to eat them or mess with them.

What should I do? Should I go ahead and pluck him out of the tank? Keep him in there and watch really closely to make sure he stays away from the Zoas?

I have attached a photo of him. I noticed him on a rock under one of my mushrooms.

Thanks for the advice!

post-90711-0-00233800-1462244226_thumb.jpg

Some of these stars are known coral munchers, others are film algae grazers and no harm.

It'll be luck of the draw as to which type you have, I have a large number in my system, but they seem to be the algae eating type and I have never had a problem, some people seem to dislike having large numbers of them as they can breed rapidly.

If it's not doing any harm leave it be, hitch hikers are part of what make this hobby so cool.

I love mine!! Most are algae eaters but some do eat coral. I would just keep an eye on him if you like him.

They are cute but as stated they can reproduce quickly and there is no way of determining which ones will munch on corals or not.

I haven't seen mine eat my corals but I do remove a few at a time to prevent over population.

fishfreak0114

I'd just keep an eye on it, it's probably harmless. I have some that I actually added on purpose because they're cute and they've been great. Mine haven't reproduced much either.

Archived