Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First saltwater setup

Bldgengineer

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bldgengineer

Yep. It's been a great learning experience! I'll be picking up a cleaner shrimp next week. Then maybe a watchman goby and I'll be happy. :)

Until the 40b gets started ;)

Hammerstone

What makes it a gladiator clown? I can't see that well in the picture. Just curious ? There are so many variations and color morphs.

Bldgengineer

Everything is still going well. Nitrates haven't risen much at all from what I can tell. My clown has decided to host my power head and mag cleaner lol. He's also a picky eater. I've been feeding him a quarter cube of frozen mysis but watching him eat he only eats certain parts of the shrimp. Hopefully he's eating enough...my girlfriend decided to get a fire shrimp instead of a cleaner so hopefully he picks up what the clown doesn't.

How much should a single clown be eating a day?

Everything is still going well. Nitrates haven't risen much at all from what I can tell. My clown has decided to host my power head and mag cleaner lol. He's also a picky eater. I've been feeding him a quarter cube of frozen mysis but watching him eat he only eats certain parts of the shrimp. Hopefully he's eating enough...my girlfriend decided to get a fire shrimp instead of a cleaner so hopefully he picks up what the clown doesn't.

How much should a single clown be eating a day?

I don't know how much they can eat cause mine only stop eating when I stop feeding them :)

However, they only nibble a little on mysis. But they eat pellets like it's the best thing they've ever tasted.

Congrats on the first fish. So exciting isnt it? Never had a fire shrimp before, theyre pretty damn cool looking.

Hammerstone

Congrats on your new fishy friends. At least your clown is eating something. That's good. Mine are pigs. I feed them every night flakes and one day a week mysis. It's like a race, both clowns racing for the same flake or piece of mysis.

I wouldn't worry too much if your clown is eating something. In the sea they aren't fed everyday. Yours just is probably adjusting to his new surroundings ?

Oh and I use ocean nutrition brine shrimp flavored flakes.

Bldgengineer

My clown only eats the heads of the shrimp lol

I got my fire shrimp today. He's been drip acclimating for the past 2 hours.

I also got my first diatom bloom today ? oh well. I'm sure the snail will take of that tonight. I'll get pics up of the shrimp tomorrow since I'm still using moonlights to help acclimate.

Bldgengineer

My fire shrimp is being highly unsociable and loves hiding behind his rock upside down. My clown has started eating from my fingers today which excites me to no end! Now if I could only get some color on my rock...

Bldgengineer

Finally got my shrimp to peek out during feeding time

image_10.jpeg

Also an updated FTS

image_12.jpeg

Thinking about getting some more snails since half my dwarf ceriths and 3 floridas died off a day after arrival. Also want some coral. Maybe gsp and zoa to start

Bldgengineer

Man what a crazy few days. Picked up a 40b and 20l for my next project, diatoms, coralline popping up everywhere, and something holding bubbles that freaked me out! I also ordered some more snails which should be here tomorrow or Thursday. It's been fun lol!

• 1 month later...
Bldgengineer

3.5 months in now and I've been battling a brown algae breakout as well as some cyano. Been keeping my lights off except for feedings and my snails have been doing what they can for it. So I'll be minimizing my lights until that gets resolved.

Stopped in at a friend's LFS he started around the same time I started my tank and ordered a watchman goby and pistol shrimp along with a blue leg hermit. He also offered up his BC29 for free so I'll be taking that off his hands too :D

image_22.jpeg

Archived