inTank Media Baskets

tang

bandit1994

I have a 40b that is 36"x18". I really want a tang I am thinking about a tomini tang I know it would out grow my tank I am in love with tangs I hope once my mom see that I love tangs she will let me get a 65-75g tank to keep my baby

I have a 40b that is 36"x18". I really want a tang I am thinking about a tomini tang I know it would out grow my tank I am in love with tangs I hope once my mom see that I love tangs she will let me get a 65-75g tank to keep my baby

Grow up, make money, buy tank, buy tang. :)

So I see you've mentioned you have a 5.5 gallon tank, then you mentioned you have a 10 gallon tank and now a 40B. Before you even consider adding fish, I'd make sure whatever tank you are using is properly cycled and stable.

my plan is to get it small and save up to upgrade to a 60g

Never plan on having a bigger tank, unless you literally have the tank in your possession and can set it up at will.

I have a very small yellow tang in my 40 but I also have a 90 and a 250 tank and if worse comes to worse a 300 gallon rubbermaid that can be set up as fast as I can make water. You need redundancy in place, not maybes.

msparklym13

HI! I post many beginner questions and would be so bummed if anyone poked fun. However I would absolutely LOVE a tang in my 29 and know it isn't a good idea. Please remember the fish we have the opportunity to buy are our responsibility. They are not just an item to buy and watch die. I know you are excited for a Tang and wish you the best. Now that I have a tank I would love to do bigger someday to have a few of my "goal fish" not suited for a smaller tank. You have tons of time to make your goal fish a reality and I encourage you to do so! In the meantime enjoy your tank and find amazing fish and coral that will blossom in your tank! Best, M

OP has posted many, many threads with this exact question (in various scenarios), on multiple different forums, for months. And they've been answered as many times. At this point I'm not sure if they're trolling or what, but whatever.

For others reading the thread, it's totally doable. There are plenty of well kept babies in even 20s and 30s. It's temporary, but feasible with the right care/setup and proper plans for the future. I would not recommend this for most people just starting out, but a 40B with the right scape would make one of the less active tangs (like Ctenochaetus sp.) happy for potentially several years.

ReefWeeds

OP has posted many, many threads with this exact question (in various scenarios), on multiple different forums, for months. And they've been answered as many times. At this point I'm not sure if they're trolling or what, but whatever.

For others reading the thread, it's totally doable. There are plenty of well kept babies in even 20s and 30s. It's temporary, but feasible with the right care/setup and proper plans for the future. I would not recommend this for most people just starting out, but a 40B with the right scape would make one of the less active tangs (like Ctenochaetus sp.) happy for potentially several years.

I agree. Plus, as someone else said (maybe Braaap?) - tangs swim hundreds of miles. In the scheme of things, what is the difference between a 3ft tank and a 4ft tank. However, tangs have large poops! If you watch them at a LFS, you will see the plume come out eventually. You need to make sure whatever tank you have can handle the bioload of a well-fed tang. In addition, if the tang is stressed and/or not happy, they are susceptible to ich etc. and that should also be a consideration.

I agree. Plus, as someone else said (maybe Braaap?) - tangs swim hundreds of miles. In the scheme of things, what is the difference between a 3ft tank and a 4ft tank. However, tangs have large poops! If you watch them at a LFS, you will see the plume come out eventually. You need to make sure whatever tank you have can handle the bioload of a well-fed tang. In addition, if the tang is stressed and/or not happy, they are susceptible to ich etc. and that should also be a consideration.

Definitely, and it even varies between individual species of tangs. Wouldn't dream of keeping a naso, vlamingi or most acanthurus in under an 8' tank with plenty of space. Some of the more derpy tangs are perfectly fine to graze for most of the day, but do like to get up and go occasionally. I think aquascaping can play a big part in your tang's overall happiness. Gentle circles/laps can have a better effect than sudden stops and sharp turns like a long tank with a big pile of rocks. Keep it interesting.

bandit1994

i am not trolling i have a tomini tang baby i got him because i understand that tangs like the yellow tang, blue hippo, naso, ect do in fact need the longer runs and the fact that the tomini is more likely to garze all day and is not as likely to make those long fast runs that make the ones list ad news in a 40b

i am not trolling i have a tomini tang baby i got him because i understand that tangs like the yellow tang, blue hippo, naso, ect do in fact need the longer runs and the fact that the tomini is more likely to garze all day and is not as likely to make those long fast runs that make the ones list ad news in a 40b

Great, make sure you feed him nori sheets in a clip to make sure he's getting enough vegetation. LRS herbivore blend is great for tangs as well and will really help his immune system.

Now go make a build thread so we can follow along! :) Keep us updated and good luck!

bandit1994

I am feeding him nori he doesn't like it off the clip he likes it tucked under a rock at the corner of the tank and is it the norm for tomini tangs to be shy at first

I am feeding him nori he doesn't like it off the clip he likes it tucked under a rock at the corner of the tank and is it the norm for tomini tangs to be shy at first

Good to hear! And you're right, they take a long time to warm up, longer than many other tangs. Good choice for the 40 though.

bandit1994

thanks I have been doing my homework on them they seem to do good in smaller tanks and scents it a breeder it should work out ok for a few years as I have friends that have them in a 30 breeder and they are 3 1/2 years old and only 3inchs long

Archived