Coral Vue Hydros

Purple Tang Brook Clownfish Disease

phillyclownfish

phillyclownfish

So I thought my new purple tang, have had it for two to three months, had ich. Put all fish in QT and it went away. Went to Boston this past weekend and I come home to the Tang having the white stuff back. Now I have been running hypo salinity so I was like what the He!!. Anyways sent this pic to my LFS and he was like that looks like Brook. So he ordered me ruby which treats velvet and brook but my questions is why did the disease go away and then come back. I am guessing because the tang had no food for four days but I want your guys input. Thanks.post-70002-0-79651900-1461892305_thumb.jpeg

Also noticed some Dorsal fin damage. The parts that are damaged aka missing the remaining fin is much darker where the fin begins again then the rest of the fin. Also ruby says it cures fin rot...

What is ruby? :huh: Google shows it as reef safe which makes me think it does not work, plus it sounds like it claims to cure everything.....sounds fishy no? ;)

Reviews are certainly not the greatest. Sounds like a waste of $.

The treatment for brook is formaldehyde.

The treatment for velvet is copper or chloroquine diphosphate.

Its important to properly ID the parasite since treatments are different.

jedimasterben

Chloroquine treats brooklynella much better than formaldehyde does and without the nasty side effects. Ruby Reef Rally is garbage.

phillyclownfish

How long did you quarantine?

Ich can last a very long time in a tank, even after fish are treated.

I didn't. A very reputable site had it for three months. They said they never had one issue and my LFS has had tangs from them before and never had any issues and the LFS is at reef salinity. But that being said he only has gotten a few tangs from them but never had an issue. Once I saw signs I immediately had everyone in QT. Don't want to mention names since they claimed it was QT'd hence why I paid an additional fee.

What is ruby? :huh: Google shows it as reef safe which makes me think it does not work, plus it sounds like it claims to cure everything.....sounds fishy no? ;)

Reviews are certainly not the greatest. Sounds like a waste of $.

The treatment for brook is formaldehyde.

The treatment for velvet is copper or chloroquine diphosphate.

Its important to properly ID the parasite since treatments are different.

I just looked at the ingredients. Plus my LFS has used it from brook before and he said he treated with it and it cleared up and then added to a display and still no issues. From the pic do you think Brook?

Chloroquine treats brooklynella much better than formaldehyde does and without the nasty side effects. Ruby Reef Rally is garbage.

Thanks Jedi. What do you think from the pics. IMO its not ich at all. Been doing hypo for awhile now. Only have a hang on filter. But not sure between velvet or brook. I never saw the main body darker before the white began which leads me to rule out velvet. Plus the thing looks 10x better since ive been home and eats like a pro still. No other fish in QT (Clown pair and wrasse) are showing any signs...

Sounds like Chloroquine is the way to go since it treats both. Not sure if its readily available?

I just looked at the ingredients. Plus my LFS has used it from brook before and he said he treated with it and it cleared up and then added to a display and still no issues. From the pic do you think Brook?

I would not trust a LFS that is backing a product that makes kick-ich. :huh:

phillyclownfish

Sounds like Chloroquine is the way to go since it treats both. Not sure if its readily available?

I would not trust a LFS that is backing a product that makes kick-ich. :huh:

I do not think it is. The LFS doesn't release its own tangs for 6 weeks to monitor for disease's. Been going there for years. I think I can trust their opinion however I will see if he can get Chloroquine.

phillyclownfish

So according to another write up on another forum rally works well with CP. Started using Rally and waiting to see if I can get my hands on CP. CP will shield the fish once they detach from the fish and then try their attack again.

phillyclownfish

Purple tang is looking much better. About 34 hours into treatment with the Rally. It lost most of its color when it was sick but now its purple has returned and looks much better. However still some white areas on its body and face. Still doing hypo salinity and I am trying to get my hands on CP.

phillyclownfish

No luck getting CP locally. Vets just simply say we wont prescribe it since they do not know the fish. Anyways the purple tang looks like $hit and most likely getting HLLE. Still eating like a champ but I am very nervous it wont surpass this round. Anyways I am thinking of ordering the stuff Jedi mentioned.

Mine arrived from that website. Came with a glass bottle to mix it and separate packages. They sent 4 doses instead of 3. It degrades in UV light so store in a dark place.

The fish may be past saving but I would order anyways to have it on hand.

phillyclownfish

Mine arrived from that website. Came with a glass bottle to mix it and separate packages. They sent 4 doses instead of 3. It degrades in UV light so store in a dark place.

The fish may be past saving but I would order anyways to have it on hand.

The tang is still sick but I am still treating with rally and now an antibiotic. Will order that tonight though. Been doing freshwater dips for the tang every other day now.

phillyclownfish

Tang really looked bad today. Hopefully the CP will come soon. I am still shocked the other three fish are showing no signs of the disease...

phillyclownfish

Tang passed away. CP should be here tomorrow and Cupramine. Going to give another tang a try...

phillyclownfish

Just started dosing CP for the clowns and the wrasse. Going to reintroduce them to the display in 2-3 weeks. Tank will have been fallow for about 8 weeks then. Ordered another tang and is currently is an observation tank. Will dose with Cupramine in a QT once I bring him home...

Archived