ReefCleaners.org

Emergency thread !

Hard Softy

Since I mentioned Land Hermit Crabs and the forum...I am pasting a type of thing that u are referring to pgr.

We would copy/paste this sheet and answer the questions.

1 post • Page 1 of 1
HELP REQUEST TEMPLATE: Questions that help us help you!

icon_post_target.gifAuthor: HCADirectors » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:52 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions by coping and pasting this list into a New Topic. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just change em braaap and put the soiled ones in the washing machine.

Since I mentioned Land Hermit Crabs and the forum...I am pasting a type of thing that u are referring to pgr.

We would copy/paste this sheet and answer the questions.

1 post Page 1 of 1

HELP REQUEST TEMPLATE: Questions that help us help you!

icon_post_target.gifAuthor: HCADirectors » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:52 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions by coping and pasting this list into a New Topic. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Quoted from... http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/index.php

Yep just like that.

Been down the road before, but different critter. That was when I knew my chit regarding Hermit Crabs.

But, yes, we would need something very similar along these lines. Hopefully created by someone who knows their chit about Marine Tanks.

I can see the start of the template.

1) Tank Size

2) Reef

3) Mixed Reef

a) Coral Types (LPS, SPS, Softies) (What fish(type) and How many Fish)

4)Fowlr....

Just a start.......

I don't think there will be a speed difference in getting an answer on an emergency thread or not

I really think there will be Harry...I am on here almost all day. I enjoy these forums.

I see folks posting at different times of the day...and after I wake up in the Morn...Lawn's lounge is ton full from overnighters ;p

HarryPotter

I really think there will be Harry...I am on here almost all day. I enjoy these forums.

I see folks posting at different times of the day...and after I wake up in the Morn...Lawn's lounge is ton full from overnighters ;p

I mean no matter what if you make a thread with the word emergency youll get responses in minutes, no? MAYBE half an hour.

I mean no matter what if you make a thread with the word emergency youll get responses in minutes, no? MAYBE half an hour.

I do not know about half an hour, there are definitely peak hours on this forum but I have this forum open at work because I get bored :P and when I am just sitting in front of the tank (which is a lot)

Pinner Reef

My local forum has an "emergency" subcategory and it gets answers quickly. That said; it sees maaaybe 1/10th the traffic of this site. I dare say anyone on this forum will at least look at a "Please Help" title and offer any advice more quickly than they would go back to answering the same old common emergencies on a singular thread. If there were such a thread the truest emergencies would be overlooked after being lost in the constant rabble. I like to offer advice as much as, maybe more than, most of the regulars here and I wouldn't visit an "emergency" thread for anything more than being bored at the time.

I say just let people start new threads... If i'm online I'd be more willing to jump on that "click bait" than revisiting a thread which is always full of people worried or complaining about algae.

Also, this cracked me right the hell up. :lol:

See, my response didn't see an immediate reply. You'd need to have an on-call alert go out.

Maybe something like the Bat Signal, except with Nemo.
fishsignal.jpg

IMO one of the best parts of Nano-reef.com is the "lack" of moderation. In other words the mods here take down obviously prohibited posts but other than that they don't interfere a lot.

So this makes for a nice community, and at least for now nano-reef still has pretty decent content as well. IMO having a moderated "emergency" thread isn't necessary. Or any emergency thread at all for that matter.

1) Our primary focus as a "community" should be first to encourage people to do their own research and second to provide a place where people can collaborate toward new ideas and methods and have fun discussing our shared likes and experiences.

2) It's unfair to the other posts as there shouldn't be a way to prioritize responding to one thread vs. another. If word gets out that there's a thread that gets consistently quick replies people will post there whether it's an emergency or not.

3) Based on #2 it would get really big and messy and then it loses usefulness.

An alternate idea is to update the library with new articles outlining some of the newer methods in the hobby and there could even be a "What to do in case of an emergency" type write up that could guide someone through a checklist of common problems. If no solution is found then there could be a "form" that one could follow to create a useful new thread asking for help. The form would aid in helping people give more meaningful descriptions of the problem which will help get results faster.

IMO one of the best parts of Nano-reef.com is the "lack" of moderation. In other words the mods here take down obviously prohibited posts but other than that they don't interfere a lot.

So this makes for a nice community, and at least for now nano-reef still has pretty decent content as well. IMO having a moderated "emergency" thread isn't necessary. Or any emergency thread at all for that matter.

1) Our primary focus as a "community" should be first to encourage people to do their own research and second to provide a place where people can collaborate toward new ideas and methods and have fun discussing our shared likes and experiences.

2) It's unfair to the other posts as there shouldn't be a way to prioritize responding to one thread vs. another. If word gets out that there's a thread that gets consistently quick replies people will post there whether it's an emergency or not.

3) Based on #2 it would get really big and messy and then it loses usefulness.

An alternate idea is to update the library with new articles outlining some of the newer methods in the hobby and there could even be a "What to do in case of an emergency" type write up that could guide someone through a checklist of common problems. If no solution is found then there could be a "form" that one could follow to create a useful new thread asking for help. The form would aid in helping people give more meaningful descriptions of the problem which will help get results faster.

I like that idea about the library update, AJ.

Hammerstone

I've only been here like a year and a half but must say that every time I worry Someone always helps me right away. JMO ?❤️

Been down the road before, but different critter. That was when I knew my chit regarding Hermit Crabs.

But, yes, we would need something very similar along these lines. Hopefully created by someone who knows their chit about Marine Tanks.

I can see the start of the template.

1) Tank Size

2) Reef

3) Mixed Reef

a) Coral Types (LPS, SPS, Softies) (What fish(type) and How many Fish)

4)Fowlr....

Just a start.......

Dude, you and crabs. Wait...got an itch.... :haha:

Pretty sure if you are looking for a fast response just title your thread emergency I need help. Although as long as I have kept fish the only real emergencies I have seen is when your tank bust a seam, you have no power for an extended period of time and you need a generator or power supply, or you got poisoned by something in your tank like a blue ringed octopus. We have a lot invested in our tanks, the time and money and in some cases ego. So when shit goes bad it sucks. Nothing in this hobby happens fast. That also is true for resolving problems. There are a ton of forums and a quick google search of your emergency will usually net you enough information to resolve your issue. If not by all means reach out. Although I seen help emergency my tang has ich, help emergency my SPS is dying,....................Heres mine for tonight HELP EMERGENCY I AM OUT OF BEER.

Heres mine for tonight HELP EMERGENCY I AM OUT OF BEER.

As you know, zero beer is bad. What test kit did you use to determine that? API is notorious for not detecting beer way in the back of your fridge. Also, it does better detecting cans than bottles. Take a closer look; sometimes there's one behind the milk. HTH

Archived