ReefCleaners.org

Emergency thread !

Hard Softy

I was thinking there are a lot of new nano reefer's out there that are looking to forums for instant feedback. To the moderator's, they could use it and I'm sure I will in the near future :) Can we add it?

good idea. You should post rules up above though. Emergencies only and what qualifies as an emergency. However I can see this thread getting crowded and a lot of traffic QUICK. Along with a million conflicting opinions :)

I like this idea a lot, specially helpfull for beginners, but agree with the people above that rules are needed as to what qualify as an emergency

As we all know if something happens to a small volume of water ... it cold be catastrophic! With an emergency thread I belive it would help and even save some noob's like me !

Moderator's will do there job at justification, let's them decided :)

Indeed. Should work with direction, and it would be the "Panic" button for new reefer's without having to "Search". and read for 4 hours while the tank is dieing! Thanks for the Input guys!

I don't get it. Why would their questions get answered any faster than they already do now, or is that not the intent?

See, my response didn't see an immediate reply. You'd need to have an on-call alert go out.

Maybe something like the Bat Signal, except with Nemo.
fishsignal.jpg

:lol: lots of " Why's my anemone look like this?!" ....or what I'm doing here....rambling.

Or "is this aiptasia" or "What are these white spriraly looking dots on my glass" or "Why did my hippo tang die, I had him since last night in the goldfish bowl petco recomended"

I get what the OP is saying here and in theory, it would be a great idea, but I agree with the others. I think it would be a thread with a lot of noise. I notice a lot of people don't research. I'm not saying spend hours researching something while everything in your tank dies, but a quick search on "translucent brown hitchhikers with tentacles" will provide more than enough info to identify aiptasia. Same with diatoms, green film algae, pineapple sponges, etc.

I'm not knocking the need for an emergency thread or people starting new ID threads, but what one person thinks of as an emergency is most likely totally different than what another will think of as an emergency. Fish dying, corals dying, emergency. One acro RTN'ing overnight, not an emergency. If we could figure out some good rules, then yeah, this may work. But I still think it has more of a possibly of being a thread with a lot of noise and those with true emergencies may get lost in the shuffle.

jamescstein

I have to agree with Stella here.

Take a look at the ultimate ID thread. Even I contributed to the mess when I first started on this forum.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/132956-the-ultimate-id-thread-before-you-post-whats-this-look-here/

If the thread is limited access and full of information and highly managed than it would work, otherwise it will just become so large that it would take days to sort through it. Thus making it no longer helpful in an emergency.

I get what the OP is saying here and in theory, it would be a great idea, but I agree with the others. I think it would be a thread with a lot of noise. I notice a lot of people don't research. I'm not saying spend hours researching something while everything in your tank dies, but a quick search on "translucent brown hitchhikers with tentacles" will provide more than enough info to identify aiptasia. Same with diatoms, green film algae, pineapple sponges, etc.

I'm not knocking the need for an emergency thread or people starting new ID threads, but what one person thinks of as an emergency is most likely totally different than what another will think of as an emergency. Fish dying, corals dying, emergency. One acro RTN'ing overnight, not an emergency. If we could figure out some good rules, then yeah, this may work. But I still think it has more of a possibly of being a thread with a lot of noise and those with true emergencies may get lost in the shuffle.

Back in the lounge with ya! :lol:

TROLL :D

Haha. I didn't have a tank and wandered on to this site and started in the lounge then was like ooooh this is for saltwater tanks better set one up so no one's the wiser :lol:

Back in the lounge with ya! :lol:

Haha. I didn't have a tank and wandered on to this site and started in the lounge then was like ooooh this is for saltwater tanks better set one up so no one's the wiser :lol:

:lol:

I have to agree with Stella here.

Take a look at the ultimate ID thread. Even I contributed to the mess when I first started on this forum.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/132956-the-ultimate-id-thread-before-you-post-whats-this-look-here/

If the thread is limited access and full of information and highly managed than it would work, otherwise it will just become so large that it would take days to sort through it. Thus making it no longer helpful in an emergency.

That ultimate ID thread is a great resource! And I think under utilized. And I'm sure we all contributed to the mess when we first started on the forum :)

When I was a Member of Hermitcrabassociation.com I was really deep and fairly knowledgeable regarding Land Hermits.

I was actually pretty highly regarded in the community and became a moderator.

TBH, I can't remember if I started a thread called emergency...and I certainly had rules. 1st was, like here, the conditions of the "Crabitat" Temp, Humidity, substrate. etc...

I would recommend that the very 1st thing with a rule would be very similar...1st and Foremost, what are your Tank Parameters, Tank size, Bio-load, Maintenance routine, Fuge or no, Feeding...I can go on from what little time I have learned from this site in my short time since I have been sitting here all day and reading posts.

Now, I know I don't know much, yet. But we do have members here that really know their chit. A Lot can be learned from them and

I would love to see them answer the "Emergency"..I think I am rambling now, but, the reason I posted this, I agree with the OP and all the above comments. There Must be an absolute Rule regarding what constitutes an Emergency.

Thank you reading my opinion and experiences.

Mike

Why not just use EMERGENCY or 911 in the subject of your post if you have an emergency. People respond to that pretty quickly, and then all responses to that thread would be pertinent to that specific issue. Imagine if there were 10 people posting emergencies in 1 thread at the same time. It would be a nightmare trying to figure out which responses went with which emergencies.

Maybe this issue could be solved by 1 of 2 ways.

1) Which I don't see happening, but a Possibility. Have an Emergency Forum with Sub Topics regarding specific Emergency

(Coral or Fish Issues)

2)Quote the Post(s) that are being replied to.

I think it is feasible...but in practice is an issue to be hammered out in the details of "Rules".

They have this on the cham forums with a premade list of questions you copy paste and answer maybe that's something to consider for this thread.

Archived