Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lumia 5.2 Channel Dimming

Torqued

Hey folks I am trying to understand what all the different parts of this system do. If I am reading things correctly, the Apex is only able to control the total sunrise/sunset feature of the lumia working in conjunction with the MakersDRIVER Optional Manual Dimming accessory. The Knobs are for adjusting the overal color of the tank by setting a baseline intensity for each channel...Right?

So I guess my question is, how do I change the channel intensities independently as well during the day? Such as, at night using only the blue leds for moonlights at a very low intensity? If I cant do this with the Apex, how would I do that? I would prefer NOT to need to adjust the "mix" of light with manual knobs, but rather software....

If you want independant control of each channel on the Lumia 5.2, then you will need to add additional hardware to your Apex. The VDM module supports 4 channels per module. If you want 5 channels of control, then you would need a second VDM module.

The 0-10v dimming control on the MakersDrivers is for the two channels that it houses. There is nothing stopping you from connecting different VDM channels to each MakersDriver and controlling it that way. The limitation you were referring to is when you connect the data connections of multiple drivers together. If you have say three MakersDrivers connected together, then VDM channel 1 would control channel 1 on ALL MakersDrivers, and VDM channel 2 would control channel 2 on ALL MakersDrivers. Take the data link away from the three drivers, and now you have the option to control all six channels independently.

Edit: Memory is failing me, see below.

Looks like it's been a while since I've really looked at these drivers. With the 0-10v input option, you only get brightness control over the whole unit, not independent control. If you want true independent control over all channels, you are going to have to use a different driver solution. One option would be to use a 6 channel Coralux LDD carrier board and load it up with LDD-700H drivers. These will need a way to change the 0-10v output from the VDM to the 5v pwm that the drivers needs. StevesLEDs (sorry Milad, but you don't have anything to fit this need) has a controller interface board that takes 0-10v and converts it into 5v pwm. You would need two for 5 channels of control.

Sorry, I missed that you were looking at the dimming pots, not the actual MakersDrivers. You also didn't mention that you were using a Bluefish.

If you are using the Bluefish, there is no need to use the Apex. The Bluefish is it's own standalone controller. There are no inputs for any external analog or digital dimming signal.

If you want to use the Apex, which is fully capable of doing full color control and sunrise/sunset control, then you need to ditch the Bluefish and use drivers that are 0-10v compatible. If you want to use drivers that aren't 0-10v, like the LDDs, then you will need to put a converter in between the Apex and the drivers to convert from 0-10v to 5v pwm. Just remember that Apex is capable of 4 channels. If you want 5 channel control, then you will need to add a VDM module.

Archived