Coral Vue Hydros

How do I know the T5 bulbs are done ...

ManGups

Is there a way to find out if the T5 bulbs is now at the end of life or it it is just an estimate of time?

Like you run them 7~8 hrs a day then replace in 9 months or if u run them 12 hrs a day then replace after 6 months?

I ran a t5 bulb on a DYI radion/t5 hybrid for 6 hrs a day starting October 2015 to Feb 2015 and then 12 hrs a day when I switched completely to an ATI unit in February. Technically the bulbs are completing 7 months first week of May. Do I replace them now?

I still have corals (LPS and SPS) growing and all look good .....

curious on this too. I just received a DIY V3/T5 Hybrid and I am new to T5s. With what kind of ballast and photo period should you replace?

Not enough information. What type of ballast?

Oct 2015 to Feb 2016 - 6 hrs a day on aquatic life non - dimmable ballast

Feb 2016 to present - 12 hrs on an ATI dimmable ballast - Ramp up and ramp down 1 hr each.

Nano sapiens

There are a number of factors that determine when flouresent bulbs need to be replaced (how often they are used, how hard they are driven, the temperature they operate at, etc.). Because of the differing factors, there is no set rule other than vague recommendations like 'after 9 months'.

When a bulb is 'done' it will loose quite a bit of it's initial intensity and will 'red shift' which typically contributes to algae growth. A typical practice is to measure the PAR (or LUX) of the bulb when new and then replace the bulb when intensity has dropped to around 70%. Time wise, this could be at 6 months, 8 months, etc. depending on the specific application.

If you don't have, or don't have access to a meter, then perhaps try 9 months and see if that works (corals still look good, algae doesn't increase). Also, don't replace all bulbs at once, but stagger replacement with at least a few weeks in between to avoid shocking the corals with too much intensity all at once which can occur when all bulbs are change out at the same time.

12 hour photoperiod is too long. Do 8 hour photoperiod on the T5 and use LEDs to ramp up and down for the other 4. On a programmed start bulb like the ATI and proper cooling which ATI has you can easily do a year without replacing bulbs with an 8 hour period. You could stretch it a bit farther too. Wouldn't go more than a year and half though. If the bulb is a GE Starcoat extra-life then you could easily go year and a half to two years no problem.

Yes, a lot of people say (not to do more than 8 hrs) that but for now my tanks is doing great .. SPS , LPS are all doing great and i see noticeable growth in a week so am not changing photo period for now.

Right now I have just a T5 so using ramping. I am still waiting on the ATI powermodule hyrbird to arrive so will see how it goes. Not to try and imply anything I don't want to compromise growth for extending bulb life but generally want to understand when to know that bulbs are done.

I have not used GE stuff but am inclined to the ATI bulbs since i see good growth. I yet need experiment with other bulbs brands or types..not sure i want to try because it seems I have already a sweet spot.

Archived