Pod Your Reef

J-Ranko's Nano 11g - a new beginning

J-Ranko

HarryPotter

Thanks! I found a perfect spot for it in the lower right corner of my tank--moderate flow and decent space. I added some sand to support it.

Is your name Richard?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a beautiful elegance! It's so perfect it almost doesn't look real.

It's really real! :D

Here's another photo I just took. It has now become a little more comfortable in my tank:

elegance2.jpeg

Phone pics result in this strange color/light pattern on the sand bed when the water surface is rippling. Seems the LED rays get split into individual colors by the waves.

I should have turned off the pumps before taking a pic.

Well, I wasn't expecting it this soon, but the elegance has already killed one snail. Pic taken without LED (lights turn on at 11am):

elegantkiller.jpeg

Thankfully snails aren't expensive to replace.

Nom-nom...

At least you know that the Elegence is healthy and feeding :)

Yes. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly it expanded and extended its tentacles after being added to the tank.

I'm worried about the rest of my snails, though. Hopefully I won't lose them all too quickly to the elegance. I wouldn't mind it that much if it munched on one snail a week. :lol:

Approaching the one month mark, so here's a slew of pics taken today--along with an FTS!

The dragon's breath macroalgae

dragon.jpg

Hydnophora

hydno.jpg

Red palys

paly2.jpg

Acans

acans.jpg

The killer Elegance

elegance2.jpg

And now the coup de grâce: FTS 5/15/2016

FTS_51516.jpg

There's a clump of red gracilaria in the back, which I added a couple of weeks back to help with nitrates. I might get rid of it now that the dragon's breath is growing nicely.

You'll also notice a blue-green acro frag on the big rock that I'm hoping will color up and grow. I put it in there to test waters for acros, so to speak.

Passed the one month milestone. B)

FTS 5/20/2016

FTS5202016.jpg

I wish it was more densely packed with corals, but I don't want to rush stocking it.

Side-view FTS 5/20/2016:

sideFTS.jpg

The dragon's breath has shown the most growth (probably because I overfeed the clownfish):

dragon2.jpg

One of the better scapes on the site in my opinion. Also, that Elegance is absolutely beautiful!

Thanks!

I added another frag yesterday. This one's a bright orange dendro:

dendro1.jpg

He hasn't fully opened up yet but you can seen the tentacles partially extended.

I moved the red palys and put the dendro in their spot, since the dark purple coralline wasn't such a great contrast to the dark red palys. But it works great with the bright orange flesh of this dendro.

Just as soon as I posted the above, my dendro extended a bit more so here's another shot. :)

dendro2.jpg

This along with the elegance just add such an bright splash of color in the tank.

Nano sapiens

Passed the one month milestone. B)

Yay!

Just 119 more months and it'll be 10 years :)

Not so much a macro algae fan, but I do like that Dragon's Breath.

Yay!

Just 119 more months and it'll be 10 years :)

Not so much a macro algae fan, but I do like that Dragon's Breath.

LOL. 10 years. I'm just hoping it makes it to 10 months. :P

The algae is very pretty with its orange tips--my motivation for adding it wasn't primarily its looks, though. Being skimmerless I needed a natural way to control nitrates and phosphates.

Nano sapiens

Being skimmerless I needed a natural way to control nitrates and phosphates.

Interestingly, the only time I had excess NO3 and PO4 was when I didn't clean the substrate/detritus for an extended period, or had the auto-feeder drop in too many pellets while on vacation. And I've never had enough algae to suck up anything substantial.

Interestingly, the only time I had excess NO3 and PO4 was when I didn't clean the substrate/detritus for an extended period, or had the auto-feeder drop in too many pellets while on vacation. And I've never had enough algae to suck up anything substantial.

Hopefully my tank will get to that level stability. I like to feed my LPS meaty pieces, though, so I'm sure there's enough nitrates for algae. Last I tested it was between 0 and 5ppm on the crude API test kit.

My tank went through its initial algae cycle fairly quickly, and is now at a point where I worry about my snails not having enough to eat. The only visible nuisance algae is on the glass walls, which I still have to scrape on occasion.

• 2 weeks later...

New addition--a green montipora digitata:

greendigitata.jpg

The fat Dendro:

dendro6.jpg

The elegance:

elegance3.jpeg

Left side rockwork:

leftside.jpg

FTS:

FTS05272016.jpg

As you can see, the right side needs some work. The rock is coloring up dark green instead of pretty purple coralline. It's also lacking in corals, which I'm planning on SPS. You might noticed a small brown acro frag, which I've since moved up.

New fish! Rainford goby added today:

goby.jpg

The new goby and one of my ceriths are hanging out near the elegance coral, which worries me a bit... :unsure:

I've got a video this guy coming up soon.

Elizabeth94

New fish! Rainford goby added today:

goby.jpg

The new goby and one of my ceriths are hanging out near the elegance coral, which worries me a bit... :unsure:

I've got a video this guy coming up soon.

When I had my elegance it took a few tentacles and stuck to a snail. In no time the snail was almost in its mouth. Thankfully I was in my room when it happend and was able to save the snail.

They are very agressive feeders!

When I had my elegance it took a few tentacles and stuck to a snail. In no time the snail was almost in its mouth. Thankfully I was in my room when it happend and was able to save the snail.

They are very agressive feeders!

It has already eaten a snail the first day it was in my tank. :lol: Hence the 'elegant killer' moniker...

This one particular Cerith has managed to cheat death several times by going underneath the elegance and somehow avoiding the tentacles.

The new goby found his "cave" in the small space beneath the live rock.

goby2.jpg

Seems to be more comfortable now. He hangs out frequently right outside the mouth of the 'cave', as pictured. He's still close to the elegance, but I suppose a healthy fish should easily avoid or escape those tentacles (fingers crossed).

• 2 weeks later...

New additions--a red montipora setosa and an orange psammocora:

setosa.jpg

The elegance a top-down shot:

elegance4.jpg

The dragon's breath's from the side, which has really taken off:

dragonsbreath.jpg

FTS at 6/18/16:

FTS_06182016.jpg

When I turn off the pump, the dragon's breath bends upward, so you don't see as much of the bright orange tips.

Love all the color you have in your tank. Looks great so far.

Thanks! I'm hoping to add something more on the blue/purple spectrum, as my mix has been mostly greens, reds and oranges. :)

Nice additions!

Thanks, Nano sapiens! I've been gradually stocking and so far so good. Even the acro at the top of the rock is regaining its deep green color.

Archived