Cultivated Reef

What do you feed your Zoas?

Hammerstone

Hammerstone

I got a freebie little cluster of assorted Zoas. Any info would be great. What do you feed yours? I think mine are babies. Tiny.?

With the pumps off, I tend to thaw a cute of frozen mysis or cyclops. Pull some into a baster and spot feed on top of the zoas. they'll stick to the skirts, close up, and go to town. It's quite fascinating really

I do not feed my Zoas, nor do I think it is necessary. My Zoas grow the best of any coral in my tank. I keep them in medium flow and medium light. If you want to see some proof of Zoas not needing food then check out my thread, I have quite a few of them..

Good luck with the colony!

Elizabeth94

I have never fed my zoas either. Many really don't have a strong feeding response. However, the palys I had in my old tank took food. Still, I don's believe it is necessary either.

I think it depends on the zoa/paly. Some love to be fed and others pay no mind. I use a combo of Reef Roids, BRS Reef Chili and Acorpower.

When it comes to your standard Nuclear Dragons, Eagle Eyes, Bam Bams, Tubbs Blues, etc of course they will grow like weeds so I would not feed if you have those. On the other hand, one way to get some of the rare and slow growers to pick up the pace is with food and proper nutrients.

FYI I also feed LRS (for fish though).

Hammerstone

I think it depends on the zoa/paly. Some love to be fed and others pay no mind. I use a combo of Reef Roids, BRS Reef Chili and Acorpower.

When it comes to your standard Nuclear Dragons, Eagle Eyes, Bam Bams, Tubbs Blues, etc of course they will grow like weeds so I would not feed if you have those. On the other hand, one way to get some of the rare and slow growers to pick up the pace is with food and proper nutrients.

FYI I also feed LRS (for fish though).

what's lrs?
Hammerstone

Light.

Sorry just trolling :D

? I'm still learning, this is a great post for me. Duh, light!!? Mine have pin holes for mouths. I was thinking, there's no way they could eat a mysis or a brine shrimp lol. Their tiny little guys!!?

i used to feed reef-roids to my zoas. but on my small nano tank (20g) i found i get algae problems for the next couple of days so i stopped feeding altogether. now its just light, and fish poop.

I don't feed my zoas and my utter chaos grown from 2 polyps to 7 in less than 2 months. Tried to feed them before with Reef Roid but they didn't seems digest it at all.

I don't feed my zoas and my utter chaos grown from 2 polyps to 7 in less than 2 months. Tried to feed them before with Reef Roid but they didn't seems digest it at all.

Same here, I had food laying on top of one polyp and it still couldn't be bothered to close up and eat it. :rolleyes:

I dont feed my zoa's i only feed my paly's, non of my zoa's can eat the food i give them so i dont waste my time on them only on the paly's

At the end of the day you don't need to feed zoas. Some are more responsive then others when it comes to feeding. I have a few sets of Zoas and I spot feed them reef chili or reef roids when I spot feed all my other corals. Not necessary and even if they might not react to the food at least I know they've been fed.

Archived