Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Vent session..

fgeer85

Just wanted to vent for a second...

One thing I've noticed since starting my tank is that people are so negative about it! As soon as I tell them they're either like "oh that's so much work" or "oh they're impossible to keep" or other similar thoughts. I get it. It's a lot of work, time, and dedication but I'm excited!! Anyone else experiencing this?!

outerorbiter

Yes people always complain or are negative about marine aquariums. Just like being a diabetic, people always act like Im going to die at any minute.

Honestly, I've just started taking it as a compliment. "Yeah, they're tons of work! It's such a fun hobby!"

If they're telling you it's impossible, guess what: You're accomplishing the impossible. :)

Just remember, those people aren't you, So don't let their notions have any play on your talents and skills. Take it as an opportunity to inform and educate for sure. Maybe this will bring them onto the hobby as well. All my best

I too got that quite a bit, oddly enough even at a few of the LFS. Then to an even greater degree because I started a pico tank. "Oh no, those are too hard for beginners". "Start with 120 gallon tank that'll cost you $5k by the time it's all said and done".

I too am new, so I could be eating humble pie in a few months. Thus far though my tank has a very small clown, that I am aware may have to move out someday, a few corals and a nice little clean up crew. Every water test I have done has been spot on. I even overfed the clown a little bit because I didn't know how little his belly was. Even with the overfeeding for a few days, water tests are solid.

If you have done your research, take your time and don't neglect your tank than I think anyone can have fun keeping a reef tank. Particularly when there are forums such as this to dig for information. I've learned tons here and went into the hobby reasonably prepared. I certainly wouldn't let the naysayers slow you down.

those are non hobbyist. True hobbyist never say how hard a hobby is. A hobby is a passion. We wouldn't do it if it wasn't challenging. :)

Hobbyists or lfs can often make the hobby seem worse than it is. Also it often seems that if you can't afford the best then you can't do it- thats bs.

If you start right, do your own research, take time, and do the work it can be a very fulfilling hobby.

Most of the ppl who are giving advice are providing the info from being in the hobby for yrs and experieced various things.

That being said there isn't any need for discouraging another and we should all be open to new things...we once ran tanks with pc lighting, now LED. I remember how discouraging ppl were regarding diy led lighting yrs ago or the new fixtures on the market...look where we are today. LED lighting on reefs. If no one had tried to attempt the new, we would be stuck in the

Past.

Just because something isn't the most used or popular doesn't mean it won't work.

Ex. I just read online someone tell another that their corals would die under the light they have and to get them out now and went on to recommend the same name brand the majority recommends. The person has a reef light that has good reviews, its popular just not in north america, others are using it successfully.

I thought it was pretty rude and discouraging of the person who was supposed to offer help.

Helping ppl is to offer advice, compare products not just regurgitate the same info, be rude or superior

I didn't answer your question...i went into a vent as well.

I have experienced this and some other forms of negativity.

A lot of ppl are very supportive and will try to work with you and help.

Some are high in the instep

william_payne1

This doesn't just happen with SW tanks, I get it a lot of the same with most of my hobbies (single handed long distance sailing, falconry, motorcycles, or other things most people don't do...).

I think a lot of people don't understand the hobby and therefore hate what they don't know or what they are not willing to learn or try to understand it, so they take it out with a form of angry jealousy. They wish they could do that, but they know deep down they can't and they hate you for the fact you can, but they don't hate you as a person so it comes out a lot of times negatively towards the hobby.

That's just my observation with people.

I also think that haters are just a way of knowing that you're doing something right.

Cencalfishguy56

One thing I've noticed since starting my tank is that people are so negative about it! As soon as I tell them they're either like "oh that's so much work" or "oh they're impossible to keep" or other similar thoughts. I get it. It's a lot of work, time, and dedication but I'm excited!! Anyone else experiencing this?!

yup but if it makes you happy then #### em, excuse the language ;)

I agree with them. That way they have no ambition to start a tank and bug me for constant advice.

It's a win win

falconry

for the win!

Anyone else experiencing this?!

yes, but they all ask for my forum name and thread so they can follow along and watch... and they ask for my online albums link to browse and stay updated. and they all say "when i..... will you help set it up". it is hard for even my freshwater friends (read: 10min maintenance 4x per year on understocked tanks) to get the INSANITY of every other day looking at my tank, and doing something almost weekly to it.

keep your head up, it pays off when the reef starts growing and you can share it! and wear their negativity as a badge, its like complaining to the fit person that working out is too hard. ok, be a slob then. but my husbandry skills are on point!

This doesn't just happen with SW tanks, I get it a lot of the same with most of my hobbies (single handed long distance sailing, falconry, motorcycles, or other things most people don't do...).

I think a lot of people don't understand the hobby and therefore hate what they don't know or what they are not willing to learn or try to understand it, so they take it out with a form of angry jealousy. They wish they could do that, but they know deep down they can't and they hate you for the fact you can, but they don't hate you as a person so it comes out a lot of times negatively towards the hobby.

That's just my observation with people.

I also think that haters are just a way of knowing that you're doing something right.

No joke! Bonsai hobbyists are worse than the tang police.

Asking questions is a great way to learn. You will make mistakes along the way, it's all part of the experience.

There are things that are impossible to keep. Like Blueberry gorgonians for example. Or Crinoid stars. There are exceptions to the rule but I would say if you hear anyone say something is impossible to keep, don't take it personally but heed the advice, asking questions all along. Welcome to the hobby, it's salty in here :)

bug me for constant advice.

Sorry man!! I wasn't trying to be a pain in your arse.

Seriously though, my tank is doing well, not in small part to your advise and innovative products.

The only upside to this conversation is that I have found just as many, if not more helpful folks than I have negative ones. A few vendors such as Stevie above, and one or two really good LFS, and certainly quite a few members on this forum have been great.

I've just started ignoring the discouraging ones and thanking all the helpful ones. My new tank wouldn't be doing as well as it is if it weren't for the vendors that took time out of their day to answer my silly 1st-timer questions and the folks on the forums that somehow don't get annoyed and bugger off with the endless stream of people just starting their first tank. Although the topic of discussion, these naysayers and negative Nancys, are quite annoying. On the flip side of the coin I've been blown away with some people and their willingness to help.

IMO it's a lot like having a dog. People are right it's a big commitment, but it is a unique one.

I've often thought the same thing. It's almost funny when a person who owns a dog says reefing is too expensive and time consuming... When you tell them they spend a lot of time and money on their dog, they respond, "Yeah, but you can't pet your fish!"

Pinner Reef

Ignorant bastards probably don't realize it's no harder than keeping any other creature in their houses. Best thing to do is try and tell them it's all about a routine.. and not the most difficult of ones

Archived