Cultivated Reef

1.7l/0.4g jar, rocks and SPS!

frnzy

Hi all

I've been here before a long time ago with a vase that went really well and a cool drop off tank, both of which got taken down for one reason or another.

Here is a new tank Ive had running for a couple of months now. Its a tiny 1.7l jar and I'm planning on just SPS from here on.

post-91236-0-94550200-1461161985_thumb.png

The jar itself is just a standard glass mason style jar with a modified acrylic lid that forms a sealed top. Water flow is provided by a CPU water cooling pump (I'm into building gaming PC's) that runs 300l/h at 12v but I've got it hooked up to a variable power supply that's at 9v. This is sealed to but has a removable cap that when opened pours air/bubbles through the jar. I do this once a day or so to aid gas exchange.

The lights is an old 21w bulb with 4 blue and 3 10k bulbs.

So far its got porites, pavona and frag of something not sure what it is, purple one on right bottom side.

I'm doing 2 weekly full water changes.

Dan

post-91236-0-48275000-1461164856_thumb.png

Thanks Brandon, you gave me much advice in the past with my vase (under a different user name). I forgot to add its got a 25w pre set heater in there too that I've used in the past, its very reliable. The holes for the tubes from the pump and heater are not sealed but are tight. Water evap has been as good as 0.

the sum total of your reef rule breaking has resulted in a nice nice pico :)

if you did this is 1998=drummed out of any decent town. were they missing out with all the rules back then. boring large reefs resulted

I miss getting to own fish but the ease of maintenance makes up for it with picos in my opinion

Lately I'll be lazy on water changes and then do a rip cleaning every few mos, a harsh deep cleaning. The ability to catch up from prior laziness with a quick clean is a neat aspect of these small picos

I don't mind not having fish, I've had many freshwater aquariums over the years with a ton more equipment to service. I just love the easyness, on the most part, of these tiny picos, its nice to be able to pick it up, take it outside tip all the water down the drain and refill it :-p

Frnzy it does go down exactly like that heh

but large tankers think we are crazy. Or plain lying... as no typical reef should permit such harsh action without a prompt mini cycle says the API

Since any pico can be rip cleaned to the point of corals on the counter, sandbed rinsed to purity and then all reassembled without a cycle we basically have the secret to indefinite lifespan of a reef tank but nobody sees it due to the novelty of the containers.

the irony is that an errant nerf ball could easily kil your whole tank

Hey I zoomed in on your pic that's a neat no bubble setup

Does the water level of the system just stay neutral in power outage or does any of the water back drain with power outage

It just stays neutral as its a sealed pump. Its got a cap about an cm wide that screws in, if I open that with no power it syphons back and pours out of the hole, as I found out all over the kitchen. I might try filling it with some cheato at some point, might help with oxygen production.

post-91236-0-26161100-1461343892_thumb.png

Got this little guy yestetday, he sure loves algea, tore through every spec I had in the jar! I've read that emarlds can be a bit hit and miss on algea eating, and coral eating, but he been good so far, i'll just feed him here and there with the seaweed strip stuff and start blast feeding before water changes soon. So hopefully he will continue to behave.

post-91236-0-81689000-1461584531_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think I was getting a build up of cr4p in the little pump that was causing an algea problem. So I've switched over to the tried and tested airpump/bubble. I had all the stuff already so cost me nothing except a few quid for a new lid to accomendate it. The lid is hollow and has holes to vent air offset which eliminates salt creep. I'll see how it goes and compare. Another classic positive with a tiny reef its so easy and cheap to try new/different things. Pic of new lid and fts

post-91236-0-87112300-1462727637_thumb.jpg

post-91236-0-48028500-1462727738_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a LFS the other day that's usually good for SPS frags, this trip they had one -_- . So I bought it, a red monitpora frag and decided to grab some LPS aswel. Got a green and purple acan and a green favia. I'm going to pick up some more live rock tomorrow as well and build up the right hand side to give me a bit more rock to add frags to.

Fts attached

Dan

P.s anyone got a coral id for the close up pic, goniopora?

post-91236-0-48166800-1463522218_thumb.png

post-91236-0-73721500-1463522444_thumb.png

Yep defo a goniopora then, I guess by most opinions on the internet its doomed to fail/die, but I'll keep my hopes up :). Ive just ordered a blue acropora tenuis and a weird multi colour birdsnest so I'll get some pics later in the week when they come through. Otherwise all is doing well including the emerald crab, which has yet to go on a coral killing spree.

Fts with new corals

post-91236-0-82874200-1464209017_thumb.jpg

Prob going to leave it be for new additions for a while and see how they all grow out. I really like the new birdsnest, fits the top right area really well.

Thank you, its pretty fraggy looking at the moment, although the new corals dropped in pretty nicely and the favia is making its way to the rock in some areas already.

I went back to the shop I got the goni from the other day and the frags they had left looked complete trash, browned out, receding etc, mine is still looking great so that's a win....so far.

Archived