Cultivated Reef

Overnight and there's cyano

Hammerstone

Hammerstone

Iam expecting two RFAs within the next day or two. I know why it happened. I have a high nutrient tank due to feeding colonies of Suns mysis every night. No problem until I put the coral specific lights on. I had a bout like two years ago and it went away on its own. What to do? It didn't cover my current RFAs thank God. I just saw it today and said oh no.

I know everyone suggests siphoning, more flow, etc. I did all that last summer and it kept coming back. Dosed Microbacter7 a few days, threw a packet of algone in the media basket and it was gone by day 5, never (knock on wood) to return.

I have a 40+ head of sun coral and my nitrates were always high - 20, up to 40+. In my biocube 29 I run a media basket with floss changed every 1 to 2 days carbon, purifen and have a Tunze skimmer. Siphon back chambers weekly, 20% water changes weekly, vacuum sand, you name it, couldn't get them down. Tried vodka dosing, nada.

Bought NO3:PO4-X and tried it. In 2 weeks my nitrates are down to 10, where I hope to keep them and I have added an extra feeding a day for my frozen trained mandarin!

Hammerstone

The first thing Iam going to do is let it go and see if it goes away on its own. If it doesn't I'll use that first thing you said ?

We sun people and our diligence feeding them every night/day should make an appreciation thread lol.

I have a lot of polyps in two colonies with too many to count. I go through three frozen squares of mysis a night. After I feed them they open up again for more food. Mine are pigs lol. Can you believe it a 3 cube meal. The bridle worms have a fear on what they don't get or hold on to.

Oh and that's sweet that your mandarin will eat frozen for you. I would like one one day but Iam very intimidated by them lol.

I would not recommend this on a reef, but i treated my QT with erythromicin over the past week. I used this technique when I had FW tanks and had cyano outbreakst here.

Archived