Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Adding a Molly to reef tank.

c_man7

I was wondering if any one had any info on acclimating a molly to saltwater? I know it can be done from some research. One of my LFS has sailfins in brakish water tanks. Would this make it easier to acclimate to full salt?

Sure!

I've acclimated them over a 24 hour period, but I do know people that have just tossed them in with success. Just set them in a 5g bucket and add tank water every hour or so. Very easy.

IME they're pretty dumb though, and will get picked on by literally everything (they just sit there and take it without running away). Makes a pretty okay algae eater/dither fish though.

Why you drugging your fish with molly? :D Sound's like a interesting idea. Does the 1 fish for 10 gallon rule still apply?

jedimasterben

IME they're pretty dumb though, and will get picked on by literally everything (they just sit there and take it without running away). Makes a pretty okay algae eater/dither fish though.

Not sure what strain of them you have, but most sailfins get pretty large, some up to 6", and get pretty damned aggressive! The smaller strains should be fine, though.
Pinner Reef

Not sure what strain of them you have, but most sailfins get pretty large, some up to 6", and get pretty damned aggressive! The smaller strains should be fine, though.

Wait we're talking about Sailfin Mollies, not tangs dufus... 3" max :P

I was like HOLY **** what godzilla mollies has ben found?! :lol:

Pinner Reef

Wait!?! I sold those things for 4yrs and never learned the get 6" long? :o

I always thought they were like regular Mollies!

Same here! Crazy! I've seen some get donated that were 3-4" and thought that was monstrous.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I've heard they don't live as long in salt, so they might not ever reach that size?

The mollies at the Petco here, some are like 5 inches, when I saw them... I learned something that day... Mollies get big and have big poops lol

Archived