Cultivated Reef

Help us fill our tank!

Chriscenter1

Hmm, my wife heard a possible flame angel and is already in love, but then again, to her coral is just overpriced decor :)

We may give that a shot, but I'm gonna look at those fairy wrasses too. Any problem putting the angel in a few days before a couple cardinals, or do those have to go first?

Nope, a couple days shouldn't be enough time for it to get settled enough to be territorial. He'll still be getting his bearings as the new fish for a couple weeks, especially if he's on the smaller side.

Angelfish - quarantine if at all possible. They're very hardy fish and every one I've kept has had issues with internal/external parasites. The result could be that they die and take some other inhabitants along for the ride.

Same with wrasses. Cardinals I've found to be more resilient, but that may have a lot to do with the fact that they are commonly available as captive raised.

Flame angel would be an expensive fish to lose. All I'm saying is to think it through - A QT can cost 1/4 of what a flame angel typically does. Adding an angel and then cardinals a few days later is a lot of change and could get fairly stressful - I've heard this referred to as the "dump and hope" approach to acclimation. Basically you're hoping that nothing bad happens in this situation so it sort of comes down to luck. If you absolutely can't quarantine for whatever reason then at least do some research on social acclimation which can help lessen the stress of stocking new fish.

Angelfish - quarantine if at all possible. They're very hardy fish and every one I've kept has had issues with internal/external parasites. The result could be that they die and take some other inhabitants along for the ride.

Same with wrasses. Cardinals I've found to be more resilient, but that may have a lot to do with the fact that they are commonly available as captive raised.

Flame angel would be an expensive fish to lose. All I'm saying is to think it through - A QT can cost 1/4 of what a flame angel typically does. Adding an angel and then cardinals a few days later is a lot of change and could get fairly stressful - I've heard this referred to as the "dump and hope" approach to acclimation. Basically you're hoping that nothing bad happens in this situation so it sort of comes down to luck. If you absolutely can't quarantine for whatever reason then at least do some research on social acclimation which can help lessen the stress of stocking new fish.

Excellent points. If you can't then maybe see if your LFS can quarantine and hold them for a couple weeks. I know mine does this for me if I ask and runs antiparisitic medication and copper. I just have to pay $5-$10 extra and pay to hold usually. Well worth asking if you are a repeat customer and don't have room to to QT.

I want a flame angel soooo bad. I know the nipping is a risk. If I just keep him fat and happy with this limit this?

Chriscenter1

I strongly dislike what you're saying, but I know you're right about QT. "Dump and hope" is more fun, but "rush and flush" is not so much.

After pricing flames here in town I'm tapping out, but still considering a wrasse. Reading lots about wrasse on wrasse crime with six-lines so I'm starting to think Tomini Tang. Crazy?

Archived