inTank Media Baskets

Raynox DCR-250 vs Macro filters?

Alexraptor

I recently got a Panasonic Lumix FZ72 and was looking for a lens attachment to improve my macro photo capabilities.

I've heard a lot about the Raynox DCR-250 that a lot of people seem to like, but I was wondering what the difference is between this macro lens and so-called macro filters?

Should I get a Raynox or would a 55mm native macro filter be a better choice?

rickztahone

I'm not sure what a macro filter is but I have used the Raynox adapter in the past before I got a dedicated marco. I couple of things I will say about it in the aquarium application. First, I believe the adapter limits your range and has to be used in very close quarters. This means, if you have a subject you are trying to photograph 2' in to the tank, it may be impossible to do so. This is going off memory, mind you, but I used to do a lot of flower photography with it back then and I remember that I had to be pretty close.

Secondly, if I remember correctly, it also lets in less light, which means you have to open up your aperture more or reduce your SS or raise your ISO. These have limiting effects in your photography arsenal, so keep that in mind.

The pro's that these things have going for them is that they actually work! Additionally, they aren't that expensive and you can typically sell one used and get some money back if you choose to sell. They aren't brand specific which is great because it opens up your market to sell to so long as they have a similar lens diameter as the one you are selling.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Alexraptor

Thanks.

Although looks like macro filter thoughts have been shelved. Wasn't satisfied with the FZ72 so I returned it for a refund. Instead I,ve bitten the DSLR bullet and ordered a Nikon D3300 instead. So I guess a proper macro lens is somewhere in my future instead.

rickztahone

Thanks.

Although looks like macro filter thoughts have been shelved. Wasn't satisfied with the FZ72 so I returned it for a refund. Instead I,ve bitten the DSLR bullet and ordered a Nikon D3300 instead. So I guess a proper macro lens is somewhere in my future instead.

look at the Tamron 90 2.8 but an older version. Should be cheap, roughly $250

Archived