Cultivated Reef

3gal Pico 17 months old!

HuyHa114

So I've been getting a lot of questions about my current pico, so I decided to post the specs and maintenance routine here. I've been in the hobby for over 10 years but there is always more to learn. I took a long break from the hobby back in 2008 after I took down my SPS dominate tank. Then I got an inch to start a pico in 2014 after reading build threads from experience reefers such as Teeny, El Fab, and Newman. Just wanted to pass along the knowledge and experience I got from this tank. Ask away if y'all have any questions!

Current FTS September 2016

IMG_20160913_224740-01.jpeg

April 2016

April2016.jpeg

August 2016: Changed the aquas-cape again after I had to throw out a huge rock with a bobbit worm. It ate many different zoas including rastas, red hornets, and papaya clove polyps >:/

August2015.jpg

May 2015: Battling hair algae and cyano.

May2015.jpg

April 2015: Changed the Aquas-cape

April2015.jpg

Nov 2014: The start of my pico.

December2014.jpg

I dose this tank daily with the following: Ca, Alk, Mg, and Acropower. I feed 2 pellets a day for my clown and a small amount of reef roids once a week. Water change is done every 4 days about 5-10%. Water change on such a small tank is quite quick and simple. I scoop out 4-5 cups of water and replace it with fresh saltwater mixed with instant ocean. The HOB is filled with Chemipure Elite, Purigen, filter floss, and a DIY air stone Skimmer. I replace the media and clean the skimmer monthly. I think that's about it for this tank. I also started recently to dose Coral Vitalizer because I won it from a raffle. I do realize that my clown is getting big and will upgrade in the near future. I have a Nuvo10 that is currently curing my dry rocks and will also make a build thread for that tank later. Thanks for checking my post out!

My old 30gal back in 2006- 2008:

Picture003.jpg

• Like 3

That's an awesome looking tank I have a 3G in storage right now and I've been thinking of setting it up. After seeing this tank I'm really tempted to. I look forward to seeing your 10g build thread.

That's an awesome looking tank I have a 3G in storage right now and I've been thinking of setting it up. After seeing this tank I'm really tempted to. I look forward to seeing your 10g build thread.

You should! Just remember to take it slow with small tanks like these. Stability is very key with small water volume. Let me know when you have a build thread.

So pretty! I always have had a soft spot for desktop tanks! I want to convert my fluval spec into a reef but I need to focus on just one for now ;)

So pretty! I always have had a soft spot for desktop tanks! I want to convert my fluval spec into a reef but I need to focus on just one for now ;)

Desktop tanks is a lot of work man

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
20 minutes ago, calabdiver said:

I'm looking to setup my pico but I want to buy a different light. What light are you using and do you recommend it?

It looks like a Nano Box light to me.  Some users also use PAR bulbs like Coral Compulsion or the ABI Tuna Blue bulb.