Cultivated Reef

AquaMaxx NemoLight LED Fixture?

Tanker99

hey MD and others how have this light,

thinking about picking one up.

question one member was having trouble turning his blue moon lights off.

so can you completely turn them off on the 12hr cycle?

Yes. I was worried about this too as my tsnk is in my bedroom. You can dim the moon light phase down to 0 so both channels are off. The timer is still running, the lights are just off during the moon phase.
  • Like 1

Just curious, what do we think the maximum useful depth is for these lights? 12"? If it could work with something like a 18" depth soft coral/LPS tank then that would be very versatile at a low price point.

Marine Depot

hey MD and others how have this light,

thinking about picking one up.

question one member was having trouble turning his blue moon lights off.

so can you completely turn them off on the 12hr cycle?

Yes. I was worried about this too as my tsnk is in my bedroom. You can dim the moon light phase down to 0 so both channels are off. The timer is still running, the lights are just off during the moon phase.

Thank you for your question, devaji108. D Z nailed it. If you have more questions, let us know! Always happy to help.

Just curious, what do we think the maximum useful depth is for these lights? 12"? If it could work with something like a 18" depth soft coral/LPS tank then that would be very versatile at a low price point.

There are several factors including the corals themselves and the tank dimensions. If the tank is fairly narrow and lower light corals are being kept, then a single strip should be no problem for an 18” deep aquarium. However, if the tank is fairly wide and/or higher light corals are kept, then multiple strips would be required. Our office CAD Lights 70 gallon tank is 18” deep and 24” front two back. Two NemoLight strips is working very well for soft corals, LPS corals... even maxima clams and a few lower-light SPS corals.

so if you want the blues( moon lights) off you have to manually dim them down to 0 timer will still run it full cycle of 12hrs. correct?

so when the light come back on in the am will the blues still be at 0 or will it reset it?

just trying to understand programing the light.

can each channel be programed to acclimate corals or find the sweet spot in both look and power and set sun set /raise?

in other words if I wanted my lights to come on @ say 10 with blues ramping up over the hr to 50% full then at 11 whites kick on and ramp up to 50% then both clime over the next cpl hrs to 100% stay there for 8 or so hrs then reverse.

or is this to much for this lil light? is it more of an off on each channel kinda light with no ramping?

sorry if this has been covered, just been reading lots about different lighting for this build. :D

so if you want the blues( moon lights) off you have to manually dim them down to 0 timer will still run it full cycle of 12hrs. correct?

so when the light come back on in the am will the blues still be at 0 or will it reset it?

The blue channel is not just moonlight as it runs thru the day as well. During the moonlight phase, there is a different memory setting for the intensities of both channels. If it is set to 0 for each channel then both channels will be off. You dont have to do this manually each night. It is a saved setting seperate from ypur daylight intensities. Then in the am, when you get to your daylight(or sunrise) phase, the light will go to(or ramp to) the daylight intensities.

just trying to understand programing the light.

can each channel be programed to acclimate corals or find the sweet spot in both look and power and set sun set /raise?

Acclimating will be somewhat tedious as there is no acclimation setting. You will just have to keep adjusting it each day or however often you want to increase the intensity. Look and power is just set by changing the intensity of each channel indepentantly.

in other words if I wanted my lights to come on @ say 10 with blues ramping up over the hr to 50% full then at 11 whites kick on and ramp up to 50% then both clime over the next cpl hrs to 100% stay there for 8 or so hrs then reverse.

This is a bit more elaborate than this light is capable of doing. You can set up ramp up/down and delay the white channel by however many hours,but the length of time it takes to ramp eeach channel on or off is only about 30 seconds or so. So when your light first turns on into sunrise,it will ramp up the blue channel to your full daylight intesity for the blue channel in abiut 30 seconds and then stay at that intensity all day until it ramps down after the sunset phase(which again is only about a 30 second ramp down). In the same way,the white channel will start ramping up to the full intensity that you have preset at the start of the daylight phase. This ramp up will only be about 30 seconds of gradual increase of white light. Then it will do the same at the end of the daylight phase,just ramping down until the white chanel is off and all that remains is blues until the sunset phase is over.

or is this to much for this lil light? is it more of an off on each channel kinda light with no ramping?

I still feel that even though it only ramps up/down each channel over 30 seconds or so that that is better than just turning on each channel to full power like a timer would. It is definitely not a long dramatic ramp up like I was able to do with my NanoBox and Bluefish, but still better than nothing.

sorry if this has been covered, just been reading lots about different lighting for this build. :D

See my answers in the quote.
  • Like 1

yeah thanks DZ!

all good thinks to know. hmmmI would love to see one of these lights on a 2Ol so see the light spread across the 30" tank. most lights are a few more inches above the water giving more spread.

Hey guys, I have the nano over a 12g cube...just wondering what intensisities you guys are running for both the blue and white channels and what time length you are running...I have had mine going for about two weeks now (great little light) 8 hrs white, 10 hrs blue...50% blue, 45% white...should I kick it up a bit??

Marine Depot

Hey guys, I have the nano over a 12g cube...just wondering what intensisities you guys are running for both the blue and white channels and what time length you are running...I have had mine going for about two weeks now (great little light) 8 hrs white, 10 hrs blue...50% blue, 45% white...should I kick it up a bit??

What are you keeping in the tank?

• 1 month later...
squamptonbc

How is this light compared to the stock light that came with the M40? I also have the M40, and I am looking for a better light then the stock one, but at the same time won't break the bank as I am in Canada and our exchange rate sucks, so it eliminates the higher end lights like the nano box ones people mention, even the lowest cost one is over 400 CAD.

I don't keep anything fancy, just softies and zoa's, and I know people say I will someday I will want other types, but I am primarily a fish guy, I just add a few easy softies to help make the tank a little more attractive.

I just bought one for my fluval m40. I just have a questions about when growing the corals, should i have a lot more whites showing during the day or as much blues too? Im new to this so any input is nice.

• Like 1
Marine Depot

How is this light compared to the stock light that came with the M40? I also have the M40, and I am looking for a better light then the stock one, but at the same time won't break the bank as I am in Canada and our exchange rate sucks, so it eliminates the higher end lights like the nano box ones people mention, even the lowest cost one is over 400 CAD.

I don't keep anything fancy, just softies and zoa's, and I know people say I will someday I will want other types, but I am primarily a fish guy, I just add a few easy softies to help make the tank a little more attractive.

If we are comparing the 14 watt stock light included with the M40 to the 18 watt NemoLight, there really isn't much of a power difference. The control on the NemoLight is pretty nifty, though; I'm not familiar enough with the M40 light to make a comparison in that regard.

I know you said you don't want to spend a lot, but we have one of the original AI Prime LED lights left in stock which is affordably priced at $199 considering how feature-rich it is; the new AI Prime HD is only $26 more and dynamically adjusts the power available to each color, borrowing power from the colors you’re not utilizing.

So if you're looking to upgrade, the Prime is a solid option and could also be re-purposed for a larger tank later should you ever decide to go bigger... since AI's Hydra TwentySix HD, FiftyTwo HD, and Prime HD can all be used together.

• Like 1
squamptonbc

Thanks.

I was able to get the original AI Prime at a decent price so went with one of the originals.

If we are comparing the 14 watt stock light included with the M40 to the 18 watt NemoLight, there really isn't much of a power difference. The control on the NemoLight is pretty nifty, though; I'm not familiar enough with the M40 light to make a comparison in that regard.

I know you said you don't want to spend a lot, but we have one of the original AI Prime LED lights left in stock which is affordably priced at $199 considering how feature-rich it is; the new AI Prime HD is only $26 more and dynamically adjusts the power available to each color, borrowing power from the colors you’re not utilizing.

So if you're looking to upgrade, the Prime is a solid option and could also be re-purposed for a larger tank later should you ever decide to go bigger... since AI's Hydra TwentySix HD, FiftyTwo HD, and Prime HD can all be used together.

• Like 1
Marine Depot

Thanks.

I was able to get the original AI Prime at a decent price so went with one of the originals.

Sweet! I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a great light!

squamptonbc

I got the light Monday and set it up, I really like it so far. Super improvement over the stock light, puts Fluval to shame.....

Personally, had I not got the M40 90% off at a going out of business sale, not sure I would have even got it, I have more or less replaced everything it came with....lol

Sweet! I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a great light!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
crstlblu2002

I got the nemolight 36 watt model 3 days ago and while I (and my corals) are loving this light, the programming sucks. I downloaded the instructions and every day have been trying to play with the settings. It seems that my blues on the daylight program are not coming on for the 2 hours before the whites like I thought I had it programed for. both come on at once. I'm trying to acclimate my corals. I have the moonlights dimmed all the way down to 0 so that there is no lights on after the 12 hour daylight program. someone should make an in depth video of programming this light. any thoughts?

Marine Depot

I got the nemolight 36 watt model 3 days ago and while I (and my corals) are loving this light, the programming sucks. I downloaded the instructions and every day have been trying to play with the settings. It seems that my blues on the daylight program are not coming on for the 2 hours before the whites like I thought I had it programed for. both come on at once. I'm trying to acclimate my corals. I have the moonlights dimmed all the way down to 0 so that there is no lights on after the 12 hour daylight program. someone should make an in depth video of programming this light. any thoughts?

Sorry to hear you are having trouble programming your NemoLight. Programming can be a little tricky since there are a lot of programming options but no visual display for confirmation.

We would recommend resetting the light by pressing and holding the channel button for 3 seconds.

From there, follow the “Timer Mode” instructions step-by-step. Once you get to step 3, the light has 1 hour sunrise/sunset as default so you are adding one-hour to the blue channel.

Let us know how it works out!

crstlblu2002

ok I have done a reset by pressing and holding the channel button, I have tried to unplug the light, does it maybe take a full 24 hours before It works on the program that I have set? I have weven tried to use the default mode without the timer. whatever I put it on it stays that way and never switches. or is it possible that the internal timer function does not work but all other adjustments do? I really want to make this light work for me but having to manually dim down the lights at night and shut them off is a pain. any other suggestions?

Marine Depot

ok I have done a reset by pressing and holding the channel button, I have tried to unplug the light, does it maybe take a full 24 hours before It works on the program that I have set? I have weven tried to use the default mode without the timer. whatever I put it on it stays that way and never switches. or is it possible that the internal timer function does not work but all other adjustments do? I really want to make this light work for me but having to manually dim down the lights at night and shut them off is a pain. any other suggestions?

Thank you for your response.

When you reset the light, the schedule should start as soon as the programming is complete and should start the same time the next day. When you reset the light, does the one-hour sunset and sunrise function in timer (12H) mode?

The Default mode without timer means the light is just on, or off: there is no change in intensity. Does this work properly?

We would recommend resetting the light and set it in timer (12H) model to see if the standard programming works correctly (with the 1-hour sunset/sunrise). If the standard program works correctly, then try to change the programming. If the standard programming does not function properly, please contact our customer service team at customercare@marinedepot.com to send the fixture back to us for repair/exchange.

MD, any idea as to when the 8 inch nano will be in stock? I just set up a standard 5 gallon pico. This will house Zoas, recordias and other softies. Will this size Nemo light work for me? Any other suggestions for lighting?

• Like 1
Marine Depot

MD, any idea as to when the 8 inch nano will be in stock? I just set up a standard 5 gallon pico. This will house Zoas, recordias and other softies. Will this size Nemo light work for me? Any other suggestions for lighting?

Hi Minidoll, the lights are scheduled to arrive very soon. We are expecting to be able to ship in a week or two.

The Nano should be a nice fit for your tank. If you are looking for an alternative, the Wave Point Blade 9" would also work, but will not have a controller. The AI Prime HD would also be a great option with a lot more power and a lot more programming functions, but at a significantly higher cost.

crstlblu2002

well i did another reset on the light, at least i know the timer does function. everything is working on it EXCEPT that when my "daylight" cycle comes on, my moonlight (5% dim blues with no whites) is also on, then eventually my daylight blues (25%) also come on. then my daylight blues turn off first, the moonlight blues turn on (dim blues) with the daylight whites then the whites turn off and its just the moonlights. I have to be missing something- seems that my daylight blues should be kicking on first after my moonlights and then the daylight whites should turn on after that. suggestions? At least I'm getting there. cant wait until I get this light completely programed right

Marine Depot

well i did another reset on the light, at least i know the timer does function. everything is working on it EXCEPT that when my "daylight" cycle comes on, my moonlight (5% dim blues with no whites) is also on, then eventually my daylight blues (25%) also come on. then my daylight blues turn off first, the moonlight blues turn on (dim blues) with the daylight whites then the whites turn off and its just the moonlights. I have to be missing something- seems that my daylight blues should be kicking on first after my moonlights and then the daylight whites should turn on after that. suggestions? At least I'm getting there. cant wait until I get this light completely programed right

There are only 2 channels on the light. The Moonlight channel is the Blue Channel running at 5%. Are you able to do the reset and have it run at the factory setting for a couple of days to see if it is working correctly? The only change we would suggest is to turn the moonlight off during these couple of days while testing the light. Our first assumption was that the blue and white channels are reversed. However, if that was the case, your moonlights would be white.

Please give that a try and let us know what you find out.

• 1 month later...

sorry to keep digging up this post lol but I just had power go out. What do I need to do with my light? leave it on until tomorrow monring and then press the timer button? then is it one long 3 second press or just one beep press? what will happen if I press the power button? right now the light is on (it should be off by this time of day)

• Like 1

sorry to keep digging up this post lol but I just had power go out. What do I need to do with my light? leave it on until tomorrow monring and then press the timer button? then is it one long 3 second press or just one beep press? what will happen if I press the power button? right now the light is on (it should be off by this time of day)

Hello crstlblu2002,

Your settings are saved in the event of a power outage, however your timer is reset. Simply hit the 12-Hour button at the time that you wish to have your lights turn on. I hope this helps, if you have any further questions feel free to respond. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

I have the nemolight on an IM 10g and really like it.

My tank is mainly lps and sps. My sps are higher in the tank. My birdsnest has doubled and I saved a pocillopora frag from a lfs that has grown and come back to life.

My only complaint is the programming. Its not easy and there should be a video tutorial. Power outages are an issue as the light comes on - not great if you're not around but your programming is saved.

You can bipass these issues with a light timer.