SaltCritters.com

Final questions regarding first setup

Dwise

Hi everyone, (incoming wall of text)

I am new to the saltwater hobby and I am as interested as can be. All I have done in my spare time for the past month is research, research, research and finally I have come up with what my goals are for my first SW aquarium.

What type of fish do I want?

2 clowns

What type of coral do I want?

An anemone….. jk. To be more serious, I really like clove polyps and hammer corals. Any colourful hardy lps would do to be honest.

With my heart set on having two clowns, what size tank would be minimal but best out of a 10g or 20g high or long?

All I really want since I am new to the hobby is 2 clowns and trust me, this will not change. I am fascinated with clowns and to me they are the fish with the most character. I find them and the clown gobies to be entertaining fish.

With any of those tanks would this set up work?

55/75 fluval aquaclear HOB filter. (or no filter but a damn good skimmer?)

Ehiem Jager 50/100w heater depending on size tank

Jebao pp-4 wave maker (couldn’t justify spending $ on mp10 so any substitutes?) or 2 hydor nanos?

Trying to do without fudge

10-20lb of live rock. Really interested in dry rock from BRS. Specifically the reef saver rock but phosphate problems have given me some doubt. With that being said, what is some of the best live rock? (in ones experience)

Arag – Live sand

If I am to go without a HOB, what is the best vacumming method that is tried and true?

***Lights

I have saved this for last because while I am very interested in starting this wonderful hobby, I am not interested in spending $$$ on lights I don’t need for what I specifically want. I have set my goals in stone as I will want to keep these clown for a very long time. For example, I want them to be alive when I graduate from uni. I have done enough research to know that almost instantaneously people will comment and say “get a 100g, get a sump, DIY everything, spend $$$$, and don’t do it” but frankly, I want only the specifics I have mentioned beforehand. I know people like to plan ahead for the big 100g they think they will get into but I only have a specific amount of cash to place a budget on this. I know this is not difficult. I have spent a lot of time at my LFS asking questions and advice and luckily I can see right through their bad sales pitches and get straight to the point of advice to a beginner who really wants to succeed. But this does not always happen. So I have resorted to forums. I ask all who has experienced the rush of wanting to get a tank and those who have had tanks for years to come and give some advice to help me on my journey into the reef.

Hi There and B):welcome: to NR! :)

U say here "With my heart set on having two clowns, what size tank would be minimal but best out of a 10g or 20g high or long?

All I really want since I am new to the hobby is 2 clowns and trust me, this will not change. I am fascinated with clowns and to me they are the fish with the most character. I find them and the clown gobies to be entertaining fish."

I will say that by my looking at liveaquaria.com it is suggested to have at least 30 Gallons, but there are folks here who have them in a Tank less than that. Regarding a filter, a lot of folks like the Aqua Clear Filters. I Have an AC 110 on my 75 gallon FW Tank. If ur looking at a 10 or 20 gal set up, maybe an AC 70 would do ya good.

Most of all, have fun! This is a Journey, not a 100 yard dash :D Slow and steady.

william_payne1

I have kept clowns in tanks as small as 5gal, I would however not advise you to do the same, it take a tremendous amount of care to keep some fish in such small tanks, but it can be done. I would suggest a 20 gal for 2 clowns, tall or long won't matter much but I found tall works best for fish like clowns but I prefer long for reef tanks so... Yeah. Take it slow and you will be fine.

If you know what you are doing a 10g is very manageable for a pair of clowns but yes 20 is even better. I admit I have a pair of baby clowns in my girlfriends 5.5 gallon. I will probably throw them in a 15 within the year

Welcome.

There are many ways to have a successful tank.

I would suggest a 15-20g standard for 2 clowns. 10g and under is hard to keep nitrates low. I don't recommend high tanks because lighting can be difficult, clowns don't need it, its harder to clean.

You certainly can do hob filter, many do successfully. Its the same thing as a sump, except you get more water volume and places to put you heater, refugium, etc with a sump.

You can also make a refugium from an hob filter.

Filters just require more maintenance. The filter, intake, and pump need cleaning monthly. The floss should be changed out 1-2 times a week.

I have run 3 tanks. My 55g had hob filter for carbon and added flow and I had an hob skimmer.

I have a 15g standard with an hob filter. I use the filter only for carbon and floss. My LR is the real filter. I change my floss at wc day, rinse my carbon bag(it collects detritus), and clean out the filter monthly.

I used to run aqauaclear filter for a 20g but switched to api superclean 20 because it has a surface skimmer which keeps the surface clean of oils. Some hobs aren't good because you can't run any media but their cartridges. I have a sicce nano and hydor nano for flow, plus the filter.

I also have a 10g im all in one. I love it because my heater is hidden in the chamber, there is no equipment in my dt. I personally upgraded my pump so i could use the spin stream gadget which gave me great flow and no need for a powerhead.

I use eheim jagger heaters which are great

You can do 90% base rock and 10% liverock to cycle the tank or all base rock and then add something to spike the cycle. Some ghost feed the tank, some add ammonia, some bag a fresh deli shrimp to start the cycle.

Hammers, frogspawn, leathers, xenia, zoanthids are great beginner corals. Brains are great but can be finicky with lighting.

On lighting. Choose the best option from the beginning, its more $$$ up front but cheaper in the long run.

You mentioned something about a vacuum?

I vacuum my sand lightly every water change, it keeps the sandbed cleaner but this isn't recommended for deep sand beds only shallow.

I also use a turkey baster on my rocks to get rid of detritus there.

Hope this helps

Phosphates in dry rock. There are baths online with water/vinegar mix that help remove the phos. Its about a week or soaking and changing out the water.

As for specific lighting, any corals you will buy will need lightibg unless you go with non photosynthetic corals.

I run my tank with a par38 bulb 50/50 10,000k. Thats about $100/bulb. I plan on upgrading because i don't like the colouration but I'm considering a better par38 with full spectrum.

The fixtures recommended for lighting

Ai Prime

Ecotech

Micmol

Nanobox

You can go with t5ho but the bulbs will need replacing every 6mnths and they cost $$$

Phosphates in dry rock. There are baths online with water/vinegar mix that help remove the phos. Its about a week or soaking and changing out the water.

As for specific lighting, any corals you will buy will need lightibg unless you go with non photosynthetic corals.

I run my tank with a par38 bulb 50/50 10,000k. Thats about $100/bulb. I plan on upgrading because i don't like the colouration but I'm considering a better par38 with full spectrum.

The fixtures recommended for lighting

Ai Prime

Ecotech

Micmol

Nanobox

You can go with t5ho but the bulbs will need replacing every 6mnths and they cost $$$

I have been wanting someone to share their experiences with micmol! For $130 there nano sized on and for $200 their pro sized look like really cool lights for the price!

RIP Sebastian

Hi everyone, (incoming wall of text)

I am new to the saltwater hobby and I am as interested as can be. All I have done in my spare time for the past month is research, research, research and finally I have come up with what my goals are for my first SW aquarium.

What type of fish do I want?

2 clowns

What type of coral do I want?

An anemone….. jk. To be more serious, I really like clove polyps and hammer corals. Any colourful hardy lps would do to be honest.

With my heart set on having two clowns, what size tank would be minimal but best out of a 10g or 20g high or long?

All I really want since I am new to the hobby is 2 clowns and trust me, this will not change. I am fascinated with clowns and to me they are the fish with the most character. I find them and the clown gobies to be entertaining fish.

With any of those tanks would this set up work?

55/75 fluval aquaclear HOB filter. (or no filter but a damn good skimmer?)

Ehiem Jager 50/100w heater depending on size tank

Jebao pp-4 wave maker (couldn’t justify spending $ on mp10 so any substitutes?) or 2 hydor nanos?

Trying to do without fudge

10-20lb of live rock. Really interested in dry rock from BRS. Specifically the reef saver rock but phosphate problems have given me some doubt. With that being said, what is some of the best live rock? (in ones experience)

Arag – Live sand

If I am to go without a HOB, what is the best vacumming method that is tried and true?

***Lights

I have saved this for last because while I am very interested in starting this wonderful hobby, I am not interested in spending $$$ on lights I don’t need for what I specifically want. I have set my goals in stone as I will want to keep these clown for a very long time. For example, I want them to be alive when I graduate from uni. I have done enough research to know that almost instantaneously people will comment and say “get a 100g, get a sump, DIY everything, spend $$$$, and don’t do it” but frankly, I want only the specifics I have mentioned beforehand. I know people like to plan ahead for the big 100g they think they will get into but I only have a specific amount of cash to place a budget on this. I know this is not difficult. I have spent a lot of time at my LFS asking questions and advice and luckily I can see right through their bad sales pitches and get straight to the point of advice to a beginner who really wants to succeed. But this does not always happen. So I have resorted to forums. I ask all who has experienced the rush of wanting to get a tank and those who have had tanks for years to come and give some advice to help me on my journey into the reef.

Hello and :welcome:!

I'm very glad you have done your research. A lot of people just come on here and say, "I have this amount of money. What should I get?"

I love the fact that you, like me, adore clowns. My two clowns are full of personality and they swim over to me every time I am near the tank. That being said, I have seen people keeping a pair of clowns in a ten gallon with no problem. However, I would go with a 20 gallon. It doesn't matter if it's high or long. Either way, you have more room for corals and fish! One suggestion- get an IM tank. It'll set you back 100 bucks for the ten gallon and two hundred for the twenty. It's worth the money to not have that nasty equipment in the tank. If you really can't justify the cost, get an AIO Conversion kit from Oceanbox Designs. It silicones right in to the side.

As for the coral, you say that you will only want softies and LPS. I was the same way. That is no longer true. You will want SPS in the future. This goes hand-in- hand with lighting. If there is one thing you should break the bank on, it should be your light. I've heard AI Primes are good, but I don't have one. One would be sufficient for the 10 gallon and two for the 20. The best by far is Nanobox. I spent quite a bit on it and it is worth every penny. If you get two Primes for 400, you may as well spend another 75 and get the Nanobox Duo. I actually have one I need to get rid of- if you're interested, PM me.

As for filtration, a fuge isn't necessary. I honestly wouldn't worry about it in anything a small as a nano in my opinion. The Aquaclears are great, I have used one before and they work like a charm. If you don't decide to go Nuvo or Oceanbox, go with the 110. That way, you can ut a Tunze 9001 in the back. You can also fit a heater in there.

I've never used a Jebao, but I've heard that they are workhorses. I love my MP10QD, though. You can probably pick up a used one on here- that's what I did and the darn thing is amazing. I personally use the "Random Lagoon" Mode. Everything is very happy.

I have the Reef Saver Rock. It's rock. It's quite easy to aquascape. Honestly purchase whatever you think looks appealing in terms of rock. The Arag Alive I've heard is good. I couldn't tell you, though, I've got Ocean Direct.

Hope This Helps,

Nick

Cant go wrong with the nano box for a small tank it will do great for lps and leathers and even some easy to keep sps

• 4 weeks later...
ReeferBrian

Just my two cents here,I have a 10 gallon nano that's been up and running successfully for about 8 months.I have one clown and one goby for a total of two fish and I do a 20% water change weekly and I have absolutely no problem with high nitrates.now if you don't keep up with water changes ANY tank would have issues,.two clowns in that tank should be very doable in my humble opinion.but as always keep up on water changes and I think you l be fine,good luck to you!!

Archived