Innovative Marine Aquariums

jebao for 5 gallon tank

Rookie1

Currently in my spec V I have the aqueon 600 return pump and a koralia nano 240 running one hour one/one hour off.

I'm thinking of swapping out the nano 240 for a jebao rw-4p or pp-4.

Anyone have experience with these. How do they compare size wise to the nano 240?? Would they be too much flow for the spec V?? The 240 is about as large as I want to go in my tank but I would like a slightly more varied flow in my tank.

Thoughts??

Thanks everyone!!

Cencalfishguy56

Currently in my spec V I have the aqueon 600 return pump and a koralia nano 240 running one hour one/one hour off.

I'm thinking of swapping out the nano 240 for a jebao rw-4p or pp-4.

Anyone have experience with these. How do they compare size wise to the nano 240?? Would they be too much flow for the spec V?? The 240 is about as large as I want to go in my tank but I would like a slightly more varied flow in my tank.

Thoughts??

Thanks everyone!!

ive never had an rw-4 but based off of what I have read it seems like it would be blowing everything around in such a small tank lol

I've been digging around on the interwebs, mixed information abound. The specs say it'll dial back to 130gph and if true that seems like it would work. Rather than go by specs though I'm hoping someone has some hands on with these little units.

jamescstein

I've been digging around on the interwebs, mixed information abound. The specs say it'll dial back to 130gph and if true that seems like it would work. Rather than go by specs though I'm hoping someone has some hands on with these little units.

Even on its lowest setting my Rw-4 put out out at least 4 times the flow as a pair of koralia 240s. Might be that my 240's were old and worn out, I did get them used. In my BC29 I opted to get a lower voltage power supply so I could run the rw-4 on else mode without turning my tank into a snow globe.

So, even IF those 240's were a bit low on output, you had them in a BC29. I can extrapolate from that and probably safely say that the RW-4 would tsunami my tank.

Hydor smart wave a better option for me?? Just add that to my 240?

jamescstein

So, even IF those 240's were a bit low on output, you had them in a BC29. I can extrapolate from that and probably safely say that the RW-4 would tsunami my tank.

Hydor smart wave a better option for me?? Just add that to my 240?

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but it does seem like it would be a bit much.

As for the smart wave. The only thing the smart wave would do for you is allow you to turn the 240 on and off at a faster rate, I actually had one connected to my 240s. They can be a bit noisy as well as they don't soft start the device plugged into it. There is a noticeable sound from the 240 when it turns on that you may not be noticing every 2 hours. If the room the tank is in is already a little noisy it may not matter.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but it does seem like it would be a bit much.

As for the smart wave. The only thing the smart wave would do for you is allow you to turn the 240 on and off at a faster rate, I actually had one connected to my 240s. They can be a bit noisy as well as they don't soft start the device plugged into it. There is a noticeable sound from the 240 when it turns on that you may not be noticing every 2 hours. If the room the tank is in is already a little noisy it may not matter.

Funny, I do hear a little click sound when it turns on. It is in the living room and unless it's movie night and the volume is up a bit I can hear it. If it were as often as every couple minutes that might be annoying.

Any suggestions or options you'd recommend?

You don't want a rw-4 in that tiny tank. It will splash water everywhere even on the lowest setting. Get one of those hydor pico pumps.

I just bought the aqueon 600 and had a small heart attack when I thought you were complaining about the 600 but my heart now feels more content I will be following this thread to see what you opt for considering i have a Spec V as well. Thanks!

You don't want a rw-4 in that tiny tank. It will splash water everywhere even on the lowest setting. Get one of those hydor pico pumps.

I have a koralia nano 240. Along with the aqueon 600 return pump I get good flow. I was just hoping for something to vary the flow.

I just bought the aqueon 600 and had a small heart attack when I thought you were complaining about the 600 but my heart now feels more content I will be following this thread to see what you opt for considering i have a Spec V as well. Thanks!

Not at all. That aqueon 600 is great for this tank!!

I'm running a 240 on my 6G and it seems like enough flow for my LPS and softies, but like you, I also wanted a more varied flow.

First, I tried a RW-4, and on it's lowest setting there was indeed a tsunami. I also tried the smart wave controller, but got rid of it after a few hours of the constant clicking on and off of the pump like jamescstein mentioned above--it gets annoying fast, especially when the tank is next to my sofa!

I'm now back to running the 240 by itself. <_<

rw-4 will be a huge eyesore!!!

I had a wp10 in my fluval and it worked on wave mode but was noisy so I took it out.

I now just use an upgraded return pump which seems to be just fine and no eye sore and no noise.

Archived