SaltCritters.com

Sony a6000

Renstar

Anyone use this camera? I just picked one up a coupe days ago and I'm considering getting the SEL30M35 macro lens. I'm a newbie at photography so I imagine I'll be taking approximately 1 good photo for every 1000.

I took about 200 photos since getting it and tried editing a few in Lightroom. That's another learning curve too. I'm excited to eventually take some good reef shots.

rickztahone

I've been a Sony shooter for some time, so welcome to the Sony camp :).

While the SEL30M35 offers macro capabilities, you must keep in mind that a 35mm lens will force you to be pretty close to your subject in order to capture some breathtaking shots that are super super close to the subject. You can still take some really nice shots of subjects that are near, but for those that are somewhat far you will struggle with a little more.

With that said, that mm length is really convenient for day to day shooting. Personally, I use to walk around with a 35mm lens on my old a77 cropped sensor camera. Now with my a99, I walk around with my 50mm which is almost the same thing.

I would suggest getting something a little longer if you plan on shooting things in your aquarium. It may be very limiting in this setting.

I have a Nex6 and I have considered getting the Sony 90 2.8 lens but it is not cheap

Lastly, you may consider getting a cheaper macro lens and simply using an adapter. With macro photography, you want to shoot in manual auto focus anyways, so it isn't a big deal

I've been a Sony shooter for some time, so welcome to the Sony camp :).

While the SEL30M35 offers macro capabilities, you must keep in mind that a 35mm lens will force you to be pretty close to your subject in order to capture some breathtaking shots that are super super close to the subject. You can still take some really nice shots of subjects that are near, but for those that are somewhat far you will struggle with a little more.

With that said, that mm length is really convenient for day to day shooting. Personally, I use to walk around with a 35mm lens on my old a77 cropped sensor camera. Now with my a99, I walk around with my 50mm which is almost the same thing.

I would suggest getting something a little longer if you plan on shooting things in your aquarium. It may be very limiting in this setting.

I have a Nex6 and I have considered getting the Sony 90 2.8 lens but it is not cheap

Lastly, you may consider getting a cheaper macro lens and simply using an adapter. With macro photography, you want to shoot in manual auto focus anyways, so it isn't a big deal

Thanks! I picked up the SEL30M35 and you're completely right about that. I've moved a couple corals slightly deeper into my tank and I'm certainly not getting the shots like I was when they were closer. Now that you mention that I might actually exchange it for something a bit stronger.

I do absolutely love the camera so far though.

Also, do you recommend a cheaper macro lens? If so which one

I would buy a cheap Nikon/Canon adaptor and find a used macro lens. I have been using Sony for some time ( A7, A6000, NEX5N ) and almost pulled the trigger on the 90mm from Sony but a bit to much.

I am using a Canon adaptor with a 105mm 2.8. Ended up being MUCH cheaper. Manual only but when shooting macro manual is MUCH easier.

rickztahone

I would buy a cheap Nikon/Canon adaptor and find a used macro lens. I have been using Sony for some time ( A7, A6000, NEX5N ) and almost pulled the trigger on the 90mm from Sony but a bit to much.

I am using a Canon adaptor with a 105mm 2.8. Ended up being MUCH cheaper. Manual only but when shooting macro manual is MUCH easier.

Also, do you recommend a cheaper macro lens? If so which one

I was actually going to recommend to do what Dave suggested. Get an adapter for any mount mount where you can find a good cheap macro lens. Minolta has some older good ones that still remain in the Sony mount category which may be a safer choice in case you ever venture in to A-mount territory. E-mount is still relatively new and innovative and will remain a far more expensive mount for some time. Especially considering that their goal is to pack so much stuff in smaller and smaller lenses with larger apertures.

• 2 months later...
SaltWaterNewb

I have an NEX 6 and use a Nikon mount Tamron 90mm Macro. I am getting an A6000 soon-ish...as soon as I can find a decent deal. My NEX 6 is acting up so not sure if I want to send it in for repair or just use that money to put towards the A6000.

rickztahone

I have an NEX 6 and use a Nikon mount Tamron 90mm Macro. I am getting an A6000 soon-ish...as soon as I can find a decent deal. My NEX 6 is acting up so not sure if I want to send it in for repair or just use that money to put towards the A6000.

What is going on with the Nex6? I have one and have never had it act up. Might it be covered under warranty?

I love my A6000. Couple of months ago I scored on a used Zeiss 24mm Sonnar T and it has been on the camera 99.9% of the time. The best time I found for Sony cameras is during Christmas. I picked up my a6000 2 Christmases ago from the Sony store for $400 for the body but that included a 4 year accidental damage warranty.

For macro though as others have pointed out you are better served buying a manual adapter and putting on a canon or nikon mount lens. No one ever uses AF when shooting macro. If you want an amazing but not wallet breaking setup just get a cheap manual adapter for canon and get the Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 Pro D Macro. Focus peaking on the a6000 is awesome when using a manual lens.

https://www.amazon.com/Tokina-100mm-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000CMNL52

Archived